Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 01:06 AM

11 posts, read 24,673 times

Advertisements

Compared to Columbus? Parts of Columbus, especially the northeastern area, which used to be nice, are now pretty blighted, run down and unsavory. Columbus used to have nice northern suburbs along 270, and while there are still nice areas with plenty of green space farther from the city (Powell, Lewis Center, even Dublin) a lot of the lower-middle class areas have deteriorated and become ugly and dangerous.

Has Indianapolis suffered the same fate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 06:08 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,264,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchforkParade View Post
Compared to Columbus? Parts of Columbus, especially the northeastern area, which used to be nice, are now pretty blighted, run down and unsavory. Columbus used to have nice northern suburbs along 270, and while there are still nice areas with plenty of green space farther from the city (Powell, Lewis Center, even Dublin) a lot of the lower-middle class areas have deteriorated and become ugly and dangerous.

Has Indianapolis suffered the same fate?
Just a quick FYI, there's a city of Columbus, Indiana not far south of Indianapolis. So if you just say Columbus around here, people will assume you mean the city in Indiana. I could figure out what you meant based on the rest of your post but talking about Columbus, Ohio around here, you should specify Columbus, Ohio. Just so you know for the future.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:11 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Just a quick FYI, there's a city of Columbus, Indiana not far south of Indianapolis. So if you just say Columbus around here, people will assume you mean the city in Indiana.
Guilty. Until I saw the reference to 270 I was kind of rolling my eyes at this one. I was just in Columbus IN a couple weeks ago, seemed as nice as always.

Parts of Indy are nice, parts of Indy are struggling. I honestly don't know much about the areas you've referenced, I've really only spent time in downtown C-bus on up to OSU, and it's been a while. No doubt, I hear a lot of folks that don't live in Indy say places like Castleton are unsavory and scary now, though that has not been my experience at all. It would be fair to say the more "suburban" areas of Marion County are losing the battle with the suburban areas in the outer counties.

Old 01-21-2022, 11:01 AM

174 posts, read 243,464 times
I think in any major cities you will find areas of blight. There is a little bit of a movement of people moving back into the city center area and neighborhoods adjacent to the downtown area.

Indy has seen a lot of gentrification. As you get further away from downtown or broad ripple areas there is definitely more blight due to being further from the entertainment, night life and attractions those areas offer. You will find pockets of this gentrification on one block and then blight the next street over. That does NOT mean it is unsafe by any means.

Generally speaking Indy is still safe. Our murder rates have gone up, yes a definite fact. However, as addressed on many threads on this topic these are generally between people that know each other or are running in already bad circles. This is also in many different places. There have been shootings downtown in areas that are pretty popular and more upscale so the blight does not necessarily equate to unsafe.

An example of why the blight does not mean unsafe. My friend built a house in one of the "up and coming" areas, Kennedy-King neighborhood. His house is worth about 300,000. However right next door is a home maybe worth 75,000. He says it's a really sweet old lady living there and who has lived there for the last 25 ish years. It looks rough on the outside because she can't maintain the yard, but no fear of safety.

https://fox59.com/news/indycrime/cri...cides-in-2021/
This map references all murders in Indy in 2021. Most are between the ages of 17-30. A few outliers with newborns or older people, but typically the homicides are those that knew others and not random. Also, some of these are where the body was found not necessarily where they were shot. The one at IU Hospital Downtown was brought there not shot there.

https://www.dispatch.com/in-depth/ne...se/7812208002/
Here is the one for Columbus, OH. I would venture to say that most people near downtown Columbus and near OSU campus feel pretty safe, yet there were some homicides in those areas too. Based on the map yes North East has a few more murders, but otherwise most is south and closer to downtown. Looks like the northern areas are still safe. Maybe showing their age and the cost of refurbishing, but I'm sure they are still nice.

So yes there are areas in Indy that may be unsafe, but typically you are pretty safe in Indy regardless unless you are getting involved in any illegal activities or with people that might associate with those elements.

Old 01-30-2022, 12:58 PM

27 posts, read 68,153 times
I was/am thinking of moving back to Indiana, specifically, Indianapolis, and every real estate agent say not to move to Indianapolis, it is full of crime. It has left me doubtful to go back to my hometown .

Old 01-30-2022, 04:17 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetailSlave View Post
I was/am thinking of moving back to Indiana, specifically, Indianapolis, and every real estate agent say not to move to Indianapolis, it is full of crime. It has left me doubtful to go back to my hometown .
Do these agents live and work in Indianapolis? Perhaps they are hoping to sell you a house where they work. Perhaps they know so little about Indianapolis that they just repeat the worst they hear. Perhaps they live out in the middle of no where so violent crimes are less.

Sounds like an overreaction to me.

Old 01-30-2022, 05:13 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
I don't believe you. For starters, realtors aren't allowed to comment on stuff like that. I also know enough realtors in the city to know that the market remains red hot and realtors market aggressively to earn the privilege of listing houses in the city. Maybe don't shop for realtors in Spencer, and instead hire one that has a clue.

Old 01-30-2022, 06:15 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Indy has long had an elevated homicide rate, it was nearly always above 100 even before the recent national crime increase. I think it's now above 200. That being said it matters whether most murders are random or personal conflicts. I've never felt unsafe when I've went to downtown Indy.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:29 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
Lived here 40+ years. Best big city with a little city feel. Yes, there is crime. But there is crime everywhere. We know where not to go in town and where it is safer. There are a just few areas I would never even drive thru.

I live downtown and have had few things happen in our little area.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:57 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAWbnzXrDCE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis