Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 02:15 PM

24 posts, read 26,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Sorry, I don't know any. You might pick up a Weekly View to see if anyone has a place advertised.
Thanks for the Weekly View tip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2022, 03:56 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
You likely won't be able to find much in any "must move to" or "up and coming" or "trendy" areas at your price point. I just checked and Riverview Apartments down near IUPUI has "Workforce Housing" based rental prices. Doesn't really seem like a whole lot better than most places based on the prices on their webpage:

https://www.homeisriverview.com/work...n-indianapolis

$922.00 for a one-bedroom, and this is the discounted price for middle income earners? Wow. I really feel for people who don't have the money, desire, or option to purchase a decent small home. Renters are almost having to fork over $12K/year for shelter and getting zero equity.

You might try searching "workforce housing" and various neighborhoods or municipalities in the area to see if anything cheaper comes up. I know a nice complex up in Noblesville off 146th Street was offering income based rent. There is a similar complex going to be built in Fortville which is a NE suburban small town (but the overall area is growing fast).

Have you even considered trying to find a small one-bedroom house? I'd almost tell someone to save up 10%, get an interest only 7/1 ARM and go that route. The biggest issue with this route is that the market tanks, but even then, if one is able to save some or make some principal payments, before the first adjustment they hopefully have enough equity to refi to a fixed rate mortgage, or maybe get another interest only ARM from another lender.

Old 05-28-2022, 09:32 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
Back in the late 80s, I was sharing a two-bedroom apartment and making around $5 an hour. My share of the rent was $150/month; utilities were included IIRC. So I had to work 30 hours (before taxes) to make the rent.

Now--I see some two-bedroom apartments for rent in Irvington for around $800 per month, more or less. $15 an hour seems to be the new $5 an hour; at that rate, it would take 27 hours to make rent if you had a roommate.

When I was a new homeowner, it took 50 hours to make the mortgage payment. During layoffs, it was twice that.

Part of the reason for high housing costs is the cost of building supplies, along with some pent-up demand. Personally, I'd hold off buying anything until supplies get back to normal.

Old 05-30-2022, 02:22 PM

I have zero interest in owning a home, especially since I don't plan on staying in Indiana any longer than another year. Even if I wanted to, I wouldn't qualify nor could I afford to fix anything, buy appliances, etc. etc.

I've done a lot of research, as I always do, and already found a few apartments that fit my budget. I was merely hoping folks could provide some other location recommendations and/or info on property management and realtors that are at least semi-reputable.

Old 05-30-2022, 02:31 PM

I never said I wanted to live in "...any "must move to" or "up and coming" or "trendy" areas..." It just so happens that Irvington and Mapleton-Fall Creek have apartments that fit my budget and I like the areas. I don't need nor desire to live in a trendy area. I was merely asking if anyone had other recommendations on rentals and/or property management and realtors that are at least semi-reputable.

I have zero interest in owning a home.

I don't want to live in Noblesville or Fortville.

Old 05-30-2022, 09:10 PM

Totally agree it makes more sense for you to rent.

There's also the matter of houses (in Irvington, at least) being much cheaper to rent than buy, and I see several houses for sale on the Neareast side have had their price cut. If/when prices come down, owners who bought high will have to bring money if they want to sell the house or wait until prices goes back up. It's a terrible time to buy.

Old 06-04-2022, 03:06 PM

I considered renting a small house but then I realized the cost of utilities would probably be a lot more expensive than an apartment. I'm sure I'd have to pay for water and trash, which I've never had to pay for but I suspect this is going to change wherever I end up moving to. I've already resigned myself to the fact that the chances of finding a place in my budget that has outdoor space, or even anything remotely close to what I have now, probably isn't going to happen. If I have to downsize, I don't think I can lose much more than 50sq ft. without selling stuff and/or finding a cheap storage unit. I currently have 800sq ft.

Old 06-04-2022, 05:39 PM

Trash pickup is free in Marion County. I don't know whether landlords charge tenants renting houses for utilities.

Old 06-04-2022, 07:34 PM

Oh they do. I've yet to find a home for rent where the landlord/property co. doesn't charge for all utilities. I've even seen some house rentals where you have to provide all or some of the appliances.

The new owners of my complex are now charging all new tenants water and trash with the rent. All I currently pay is electricity.

Old 06-05-2022, 05:00 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Trash pickup is free in Marion County. I don't know whether landlords charge tenants renting houses for utilities.
Just to clarify, it's not "free", it's paid through property taxes, so the property owner pays for it.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis