Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,281 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I have short-listed a house in the neighborhood of West 48th and North Kessler (Northern Estates subdivision/Washington Twp schools). We'd like to be close to Butler University for her and downtown for me. We like the house and the neighborhood, but a trip to nearby Lafayette Square Mall let us both feeling depressed, compounded by some of the crime statistics I've been researching for the ZIP code (granted, there can be a lot of diversity within such a random area).

From reading a lot of posts, it seems that Indianapolis is a city of patchwork neighborhoods. Can anyone comment on the overall quality of this neighborhood? I just don't want to end up in an area that isn't what it seems.

Also: I'm not some Chicken Little afraid of all crime stats. I've lived and worked in Detroit for much of the last 20 years.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 11:33 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,988,180 times
48th and Kessler isn't too bad. But as you've learned, the whole Lafayette Square - West 38th Street area is pretty run-down. Depending on the kind of home you're looking for, you might have better luck closer to Butler itself (East of Michigan Road) or a little farther north in Washington Township.

Try this link for viewing recent crimes in your area: CrimeView Community Incident Map

You can see what crimes were committed and where, which might help you sift through the zip code statistics.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:25 PM

473 posts, read 1,242,173 times
Staelbora,

My wife and I live closer to the Butler area. We are selling our house and moving to New Mexico. Send me a direct message and I'll give you more details on our house. 48th and Kessler is somewhat shady.. I'd stay clear of that area.. it's ok now but in the future for resale it could be not so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis