Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 07:26 PM

68 posts, read 359,056 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Any fellow high-tech geeks care to share the strengths/weaknesses of the high definition options on Brighthouse/Comcast in the Indy area? I'd rather go with a Dish, but I don't want to have a local land line. Tips on either cable company would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 09:07 AM

Someone surely has an opinion ...

As a follow-up, do either of the local cable networks offer NFL Network?

Old 06-29-2008, 09:50 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,207 times
I have AT&T Uverse, I can record 4 shows at atime on my DVR.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiJayne View Post
I have AT&T Uverse, I can record 4 shows at atime on my DVR.
LOL I watch too many shows already with my dual DVR! Can't believe they have 4 now. Do you need local land phone line to get the Uverse service?

Old 06-29-2008, 04:52 PM

I don't think you need local phone to get UVerse, I really don't understand how it works except that it comes through fiber optics to the neighborhood, then from their box in the area to my home through ... ??? Through phone lines? Through Cable lines? I really don't know about that.

They also have a referral program where I can earn money, so if you decide to get it, I would really appreciate if you gave them my number. Let me know and I'll send it to you in a DM.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the info Miki. I'll look into all three local options and I promise I'll drop you a message if I go with U Verse. Thanks again!

Old 06-30-2008, 01:16 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,028 times
You don't have a choice between Comcast and Brighthouse; one or the other will provide your cable depending on where you live. I think with Brighthouse digital cable packages start at about 55 but I don't know how much for hi-def, receivers, etc.

I'm not sure I understand your point about Dish. You don't have to get phone service to get dish network or Direct TV or whatever. I

Old 06-30-2008, 03:11 PM

No, you don't HAVE TO have a phone line for DirecTV, unless you want to buy pay-per-views, and for updates, messages, etc. That is how the machine communicates with their main server or whatchamacallit.

Without the phone line, you can't even use the guide on DirecTV.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
You don't have a choice between Comcast and Brighthouse; one or the other will provide your cable depending on where you live. I think with Brighthouse digital cable packages start at about 55 but I don't know how much for hi-def, receivers, etc.

I'm not sure I understand your point about Dish. You don't have to get phone service to get dish network or Direct TV or whatever. I
You do need the local phone for a number of things, including receiving sports programming on Direct TV (due to local blackout rules). This is according to the FAQ on Direct TV's site anyway. You also need it to order PPVs, and I'm a boxing fan, so I'd want that access.

Thanks for the tip on not having an option on the cable company though. That's disappointing news. I should just pony up the $$ for Direct TV and the land line I'll never use.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:14 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiJayne View Post
No, you don't HAVE TO have a phone line for DirecTV, unless you want to buy pay-per-views, and for updates, messages, etc. That is how the machine communicates with their main server or whatchamacallit.

Without the phone line, you can't even use the guide on DirecTV.

That's absolutely not true. None of our receivers are hooked up to our phone line, and we can use the guide. It updates the software through the satellite dish, not through the phone. I haven't tried PPV, so maybe you're right about that, but I'm not really interested in it anyway. And when our tech was here to set it up he said nothing about hooking up the phone line to either of the boxes.

The faq says this:

Q: Do I have to connect my receiver to my phone line?
A: The system uses the phone line to transmit programming purchase information like pay-per-view movies, special season sports programming and other shows from the receiver to DIRECTV®. You can choose not to connect your receiver to your phone line but an extra charge of $5 will be apply on every phone order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis