Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 06:38 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,715,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BigBear View Post
You guys might want to move this Chi_Town Sidebar to another thread.!

Indy, like all cities this size and smaller, needs a Mayor with brash and balls.
Simple.~ Get the job done.! or get someone who can.!
Trust me, a city with a Mayor with No moral hardline backbone is doomed.
Just look at Memphis ! and It's crime stats. OMG!! {Thanks slick Willy Herenton !}
Then thank ~'someone'~ you're HERE.

hey- What's Rudy Giuliani dong these days....?
Ballard seems to have brash and cajones in spades, he's just not doing anything right now .... which is sad. I'd hate to be that 13 year old I mentioned a few posts above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 08:40 PM

152 posts, read 745,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
me? I always feel good when I'm on city-data
awesome

Old 07-24-2008, 03:52 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,996,573 times
Quote:
Yea, Evanston, Oak Park, Park Forest, Beverly ... real suburban .. not. St. Charles, Geneva, Batavia, all established towns before they became suburbs too. And oh my, I guess I can't mention the rest of the established north shore towns because, as you both say, I'm so north side centric. Chicago isn't a world class city? That would make NYC the only world class city in America then, please. Oy, why do I get pulled in? Indianapolis is a nice town, but at this rate, we may as well start calling it killiapolis. And no, I realize that people aren't being gunned down in the streets per se, there aren't gun fights in Chicago either, the violence tends to be in pockets of the city that everyone knows about, but the Indianapolis crime wave seems all over the place, close to downtown. But still, the murder rate this month is alarming to say the least. Oh, but I guess since it's just bad guys killing bad guys, that makes it better, using your logic. Please. That whacko who did the double murder then offed himself did it in front of a 13 year old child .. guess that makes her a bad guy eh?

Stop making excuses guys.

gmasterb drug Chicago into the mix, not me. I mentioned the killings in Indy and immediately, they got their defensive Chicagothisandthat malarky.

Indianapolis continues to be one of the most liveable cities in America and I think this is a great thing. But when people who want to relo here research the newspaper, well, it would make me want to immediately head to the burbs and not the city.

As for the sister in law near UIC ... yea, I wouldn't go out at night either, but the neighborhood is getting better.
Man, you're really sensitive about Chicago aren't you? I think it's funny when people get all defensive about that old meatpacking town and try to convince themselves it's really, really important. Yeah, NYC is world class, maybe LA, maybe even San Francisco. But I never really thought of Chicago that way. And this has nothing to do with a comparison of Chicago and Indianapolis. There's no doubt Chicago is a better city. But there's also no doubt that much of what constitutes Chicago is bland, boring suburbia, ugly industrial areas, and crime-ridden projects. Yet its residents seem to have a high opinion of the place that no one else shares, and get incredibly defensive when anyone points out the truth about the place.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
Man, you're really sensitive about Chicago aren't you? I think it's funny when people get all defensive about that old meatpacking town and try to convince themselves it's really, really important. Yeah, NYC is world class, maybe LA, maybe even San Francisco. But I never really thought of Chicago that way. And this has nothing to do with a comparison of Chicago and Indianapolis. There's no doubt Chicago is a better city. But there's also no doubt that much of what constitutes Chicago is bland, boring suburbia, ugly industrial areas, and crime-ridden projects. Yet its residents seem to have a high opinion of the place that no one else shares, and get incredibly defensive when anyone points out the truth about the place.
You're talking about Indianapolis dear. I've never met more defensive people in my life. Post above proves it ... bland ... that's a laugh. Projects are gone sweetiepie, oh wait, how could you know?

Old 07-24-2008, 07:22 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,528,870 times
Quote:
You're talking about Indianapolis dear. I've never met more defensive people in my life. Post above proves it ... bland ... that's a laugh. Projects are gone sweetiepie, oh wait, how could you know?
Actually, Nap has a point. We hear a lot of chatter from the Chicago-obsessed architectual snobs denigrating Indy, but I don't know why. Once you get away from the graystones on the north side, what's so great? Bunch of bland rectangular boxes spaced about a foot apart. That's what's so much better than Indy?? What's so architectually appealing about the Sears Tower??

Then there's the sprawl argument. Do folks who live in Chicago city not get out much? We are a nation of sprawl! Cities like Boston, New York, Philly, D.C. and Chicago (city) are the exception, not the norm. Some refer to L.A. as a "world-class city." L.A. is the patron saint of sprawl! Another argument, please.

Finally, we have the "Indy is full of restaurant chains" argument. First, if you base your restaurant choices by what you can see from an interstate interchange, then, of course, you're going to see a bunch of chains. I'm not going to list the good local restaurants here. Let's talk Chicago (since I'm being defensive). I usually stay in the River North area when I'm in Chicago for work. What do I see around me?? Chain after chain after chain. Buca's. P.F. Chang's. Hard Rock Cafe. And let's not forget that mecca of fine dining, The ESPN Sportszone. Even the Grand Lux Cafe is a chain. So is Smith and Wollensky's. So is Shula's.

BTW.....Girodano's is overrated.

Domergurl, you're right. The projects that used to sit across from Comisky (I refuse to call it by its corporate name) are gone. Would you move there now??

I'm going to try to refrain from posting more on this topic because we're straying from the OP's question, but I couldn't help myself this time. If Indy folks seem defensive it's because this is an Indy board full of Indy-area residents who love their city. Chicago may very well be a world-class city; it depends on how you define one. I do enjoy Chicago, and I hope it gets the 2016 Olympics. Is it on par with New York, Paris, London or Berlin? Very debatable.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:37 AM

Chicago hasn't earned the Olympics yet ... they are allowed to bid, that's all for now.

Chains are everywhere, uhhhhhhhh .. yea? But I'll give you these Chicago gems:

Mr. Beef
The Goat
The Chophouse
Cavanaugh's
Metro, a club, not necessarily a restaurant
Cubby Bear
Murphy's Bleachers
Chicken Hut
Broker's (best fish sandwiches ever)
Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder
My Pi
The Wiener Circle
Demon Dogs, but I think they closed
Rosebud
The Wild Onion

I don't know, some of these gems may be closed for all I know. My favorite place was this little place up on Devon that was a Cuban restaurant tucked in the back of a Cuban bodega .. la Unica, I think it was called. I wouldn't expect there to be anything like that in Indy.

Giordanos, Ginos, Edwardos, Unos are all chains, btw. You gotta get into the neighborhoods to get the great pizzarias.

So many more. Most of the chains are in River North & the Gold Coast, which makes sense. Same in NYC. The tourist areas have the most lack of character. and locals stay away. Get out of the tourist traps ... go up to Devon or Argyle if you truly want great food and great character.

I will give credit where credit is due, however, St. Elmos is the best steakhouse I've ever been to, yes, I said that. It's true. It's a carnivor's dream restaurant.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:42 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,055,097 times
since Indianapols won the 2012 Superbowl do you think Indy would have a chance of earning the Olympics?

winning the Superbowl to me sounds like a very big step.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:47 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,275,413 times
Quote:
Chicago hasn't earned the Olympics yet ... they are allowed to bid, that's all for now.

Mr. Beef
The Goat
The Chophouse
Cavanaugh's
Cubby Bear
Murphy's Bleachers
Chicken Hut
My Pi
The Wiener Circle
Rosebud
The Wild Onion

I don't know, some of these gems may be closed for all I know. My favorite place was this little place up on Devon that was a Cuban restaurant tucked in the back of a Cuban bodega .. la Unica, I think it was called. I wouldn't expect there to be anything like that in Indy.
There is a Cuban place in South Broad Ripple; right on College. I am not up on my Cuban food, no idea if it compares. I am sure though that since it is in little ol' Indy, it doesn't. Sorry to even bring it up. For every one of those places you listed, I can list a good local place in Indy. Just because they are not all in a district of some sort does not make them no good. Look, it is great that you love Chicago, but you are a moderator on an Indianapolis forum, and you talk down to us about how inferior Indianapolis is. You have to understand that when you are talking down to us, we are going to get defensive. That is just human nature.

Santorini Greek Kitchen

Old 07-24-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
There is a Cuban place in South Broad Ripple; right on College. I am not up on my Cuban food, no idea if it compares. I am sure though that since it is in little ol' Indy, it doesn't. Sorry to even bring it up. For every one of those places you listed, I can list a good local place in Indy. Just because they are not all in a district of some sort does not make them no good. Look, it is great that you love Chicago, but you are a moderator on an Indianapolis forum, and you talk down to us about how inferior Indianapolis is. You have to understand that when you are talking down to us, we are going to get defensive. That is just human nature.

Santorini Greek Kitchen

I don't!!! I think that Indianapolis is a nice town ... I really do! It's a great place to raise a family, much moreso than Chicago, otherwise we, and many other posters would still be there. I can't even remember what all brought this on ... I bring up all the murders, not mentioning chicago, btw, and someone brought "well, your precious chicago" into the mix, not me. You can't compare crime in Chicago to Indy because it isn't fair to Chicago, but this murder spree in Indianapolis is abhorable for a city it's size.

And I bring up St. Elmos and I still get slammed ... geez!!!

Old 07-24-2008, 10:07 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,528,870 times
Quote:

Mr. Beef
The Goat
The Chophouse
Cavanaugh's
Cubby Bear
Murphy's Bleachers
Chicken Hut
My Pi
The Wiener Circle
Rosebud
The Wild Onion

Giordanos, Ginos, Edwardos, Unos are all chains, btw. You gotta get into the neighborhoods to get the great pizzarias.

So many more. Most of the chains are in River North & the Gold Coast, which makes sense. Same in NYC. The tourist areas have the most lack of character. and locals stay away. Get out of the tourist traps ... go up to Devon or Argyle if you truly want great food and great character.

I will give credit where credit is due, however, St. Elmos is the best steakhouse I've ever been to, yes, I said that. It's true. It's a carnivor's dream restaurant.
I like both the Chicago Chop House and Kinzie Chop House
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis