Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 10:10 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
And in SoCal, we have "everything" close by (distance-wise), but considering time on the road fighting traffic, paying top dollar for gas, parking, and then entrance fees -- only to be amongst hoardes of people -- well, your wallet's a whole lot lighter and you're basically exhausted by the time you get where you're going. And then you gotta repeat that unpleasant drive on the way home. Yay.

LOL...I was, too!

Reminds me of when my wife and I lived in Nashville (just before we moved). There was always something cool going on in the city or in the surrounding suburbs areas but the question was do we want to deal with the traffic, cost and likelihood of there being a ton of other people doing whatever it was.

Franklin (a very popular southern "suburb" of nashville) always had a great fall festival, but the last two years we lived in Nashville we barely enjoyed our time there because so many other people were there it was hard to do much without bumping into someone else. And then the traffic getting in and out and finding a parking space was an adventure of its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 02:27 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatamidoingwithmylife View Post
I live in Southern Indiana, and um, there's not much here really. The hills are decent, surprisingly enough the corn fields can offer something kinda special/beautiful. There is some charm here but it's not what you'd think imo, and I lived in California for 11 years (Bay Area for 8 and SoCal for 3). Every day that goes by I think about moving back out there. The cost of living and family is the only thing that keeps us in this state, and even with that we're going to move regardless. Either Carmel as to stay somewhat close to family or back to SoCal.
Why is the grass always greener? Admittedly when I was there it was late summer so maybe that's why it seemed so nice. I can't remember exactly where it was, but it was NW of Louisville. You can get a nice big home with a huge lawn (that you don't have to water!) backing up to some trees or a pond... Life could be worse.

But alas, no way would the better half want to leave our little corner of paradise and the other benefits here you are already aware of...

Old 03-14-2021, 06:20 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
If money were no object I would love to live in a place like Southern Indiana. Just outside of Louisville in some hilly areas. But I like making money too much.
Where there is a will, there is a way.

Money doesn't have to be a roadblock, you can have both. I did it for years, living in Scott County Indiana, commuting to Louisville at first, then telecommuting. Scott County has a municipal, county-wide, wireless broadband service that makes working from home possible, even out in the country. Not much of a vibrant local economy, but 50 miles south, you have the Louisville metro area for that. Not the best schools either, just good country living.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 03-14-2021, 12:44 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravenClan View Post
Thanks!! When i say OC I should have said, i DO NOT live in OC, but in Temecula, When times were great, my husband and i joked this is like a small OC....Temecula got big, with cheaper housing than OC or San Diego, so it was the in between for commuters. Now the economy here is so bad, it is sad we are excited that gas went under $4 a gallon, that is ridiculous!!!!! But Starbucks is still packed!!

I am no ballet or opera type, we have too m any little kids...just want a clean place with great schools, to raise them. California got really screwed up along the way, so it is really a bummer.

Can you tell me what the weather is like in those places?? Carmel/Fishers?? I ask because i know it will get the 4 seasons, which we never see here. We are self employed, my husband does landscape/decorative concrete, with our weather, he can work all year (if it is busy) But snow and rain change that...so if you could give me some insight, great.

Are people pretty friendly?? Funny because we have been to other states, and everyone seems so friendly, i wonder if it is just that we are used to a lot of people being unfriendly..I do not mean everyone, i mean people do not go out of their way to approach or welcome you here, it is sad...

Anywyas, i appreciate your help!!
Thanks
Christina

PS I have heard about fruits and vegetables in other states not being like here, i get that, but is it decent?? Bummer about the artichokes, i LOVE them....Yum
In terms of friendliness, Temecula is unique among Southern California cities. People in Temecula are unfriendly because the city did not exist 35 years ago, so almost every resident is a newcomer. Accordingly, the city of Temecula is transient, and people who live in transient cities are usually distant and inhospitable. The same rule applies to people in other transient cities of the Desert Southwest, such as Las Vegas, Nevada and Phoenix, Arizona, for example. Additionally, most working people who live in Temecula have daunting commutes to the job centers of Orange and San Diego counties, and long, arduous commutes, compounded by high fuel prices, often make people grumpy. While Temecula is a lovely town overall, most residents are reluctantly living there because they have been priced out of the cooler, more upscale, more economically vibrant suburban areas of Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego counties. And finally, the heat in Temecula can be unrelenting in the summertime, especially in August and September.

Old 03-14-2021, 05:13 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
I dislike large crowds, traffic, and high prices. I lived in the Chicago suburbs for a time, I mow realize I was always meant for a small city. Can't do small town and prefer not to do big city. Small cities have a lot of similar amenities to large cities without the crowds and traffic.

Have never visited California but it's on my list. Cannot imagine trying to move there now.

Old 03-14-2021, 07:38 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I dislike large crowds, traffic, and high prices. I lived in the Chicago suburbs for a time, I mow realize I was always meant for a small city. Can't do small town and prefer not to do big city. Small cities have a lot of similar amenities to large cities without the crowds and traffic.

Have never visited California but it's on my list. Cannot imagine trying to move there now.
It's a big state. Outside of LA/SF/SD/Sac, the rest of the CA cities aren't too different than those across the rest of the US. And many of them still have better weather.

Bakersfield, Fresno, Modesto, Redding, Eureka.

Old 03-15-2021, 04:35 AM

5,976 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
It's a big state. Outside of LA/SF/SD/Sac, the rest of the CA cities aren't too different than those across the rest of the US. And many of them still have better weather.

Bakersfield, Fresno, Modesto, Redding, Eureka.
Bakersfield, Fresno and Modesto are pretty unpleasant places for the most part, between climate and their crime statistics. They're all Central Valley farm towns for the most part, and have issues related to crime, gangs and drug abuse.

Redding and Eureka are nice places, but their climates can be ugly unless you like extremes. Eureka is much like the PNW, covered in clouds and fog much of the year. It's much smaller than any of the other cities listed, and also suffers from issues related to illegal pot growing, although it's getting better in that regard due to legalization. Redding is somewhat like the other cities in that it's a valley town and suffers from climate extremes. Probably the best of the bunch if you don't want to put up with the gloom of Eureka.

Most of these are Central Valley cities, and have dry, hot summers and cool winters with lots of sun. Eureka is a the outlier in that regard.

RM

Old 03-15-2021, 09:14 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,758,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post

And that is why I like Indianapolis: Big enough without being TOO big.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:54 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
I'll let you in on the best place to live down here, its called Ventura County. Lots of agriculture (especially oranges and lemons), wilderness areas, off road areas, hunting spots, fishing (ocean mostly), you name it. Perfect weather. I grow fruits and veggies year round. We have some oil production and some small navy bases. A little bit of everything, but certainly not perfect either. Many of my neighbors are from the midwest... But there is nothing like the Heartland. Ideally I could live in both places.

Old 03-15-2021, 04:29 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
I've been through Ventura on my way to my aunt's house in Cambria. Beautiful place.

Everybody ought to make the drive along Highway 1 at least once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis