U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 07:38 AM

2,152 posts, read 7,110,088 times

Advertisements

I read that the NFL sent out letters to certain churches in Indy not to hold any Super Bowl parties, and to refrain from showing the Super Bowl on large screen TV's. Apparently the NFL contends that projecting the game on a large screen TV (anything over 55 inches) would violate copyright laws.

I just wonder if most churches are going to comply with the NFL's wishes and not have any Super Bowl viewing parties. I bet Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith don't agree with the NFL ban against church group viewing. Hey, Tony and Lovie, what do you have to say about this?

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 02-02-2007 at 08:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 11:14 AM

17,605 posts, read 25,027,853 times
NFL is a business ... you should know that.

Not saying that I agree, but the churches #1, stop taking it so personally and #2, project a 50 inch picture on a wall and stop whining!

Old 02-02-2007, 10:39 PM

95 posts, read 322,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
I read that the NFL sent out letters to certain churches in Indy not to hold any Super Bowl parties, and to refrain from showing the Super Bowl on large screen TV's. Apparently the NFL contends that projecting the game on a large screen TV (anything over 55 inches) would violate copyright laws.

I just wonder if most churches are going to comply with the NFL's wishes and not have any Super Bowl viewing parties. I bet Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith don't agree with the NFL ban against church group viewing. Hey, Tony and Lovie, what do you have to say about this?
Does that apply to anything outside of churches? Cause my brother has a 57" tv. haha

Old 02-02-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
NFL is a business ... you should know that.

Not saying that I agree, but the churches #1, stop taking it so personally and #2, project a 50 inch picture on a wall and stop whining!

what do you have against churches?
why single out churches? they are a private family too. as members of the family of God, they even call one another Brother and/or Sister.

I just don't see how the NFL is being damaged or harmed by certain churches having Super Bowl viewing get togethers for its membership. All the tickets have been sold out to the Super Bowl game in Miami and the NFL cannot claim that church group viewings are damaging ticket sales.

all the people I spoke with in Carmel and Indy today thought it was outrageous that the NFL started picking on churches.

one final point. It was the NFL that started whining and sending out threatening letters and not vice versa.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 02-02-2007 at 11:47 PM..

Old 02-03-2007, 09:23 AM

They nor I have anything against churches. They would do it do any other organization ... VFW, nursing homes, whatever.

Again, they need to stop taking it so personally. Only in Indiana would people's panties get in such a twist.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:22 AM

Nursing homes too? This has gone way too far. Old people are entitled to watch the Super Bowl in their home, even a nursing home.

I hope I get busted watching the Super Bowl with a large group of people in Indy. would you call that the *Urlacher crunch*?

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 02-03-2007 at 11:16 AM..

Old 02-03-2007, 01:28 PM

Hooray!!! The Churches win and can conduct Super Bowl viewing parties.

SPORTSNETDAILY
Church 'Super Bowl' festivities may go on
NFL says just don't charge admission fees to parties

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: February 2, 2007
5:00 p.m. Eastern

By Bob Unruh
2007 WorldNetDaily.com

Churches across the U.S. planning Super Bowl parties Sunday, as the Indianapolis Colts and the Chicago Bears meet in the 41st edition of the classic first won by the Green Bay Packers, have been given sweeping permission by the NFL to go ahead – just as long as no admission fees are charged.

A dispute arose several days ago in the Midwest when the NFL sent a letter to one church based on its website advertisement for a "Super Bowl Party." That letter to Fall Creek Baptist Church in Indianapolis said the church couldn't use the words "Super Bowl," it couldn't charge admission, it couldn't use its projection screen for the game, and a number of other things.

Those limits, coupled with the fact no church felt willing to take on a financial behemoth like the National Football League in court, sparked a series of cancellations of those parties.

(Story continues below)

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=54081

Old 02-03-2007, 01:36 PM

Good, now their panties get get untwisted.

Much ado about nothing.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:04 PM

Go Baptists!!!! Enjoy the SB on big screen at your local churches.

I heard that the Catholic diocese in Indy is declaring Monday a school holiday.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:16 PM

We’re getting ready for the big Super Bowl game tomorrow between the Indianapolis Colts and the Chicago Bears. When I was at different stores earlier today, I saw more store personnel wearing blue and orange Bears jerseys, shirts and hats. Very disappointing to have Bears insurgent fans here in Lafayette/West Lafayette, INDEEEEAAAANNNAAAAA!!!

We need more Indianapolis Colt fans to put large blue horseshoes on their vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis