U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-31-2008, 07:18 PM

106 posts, read 255,549 times
Default Where to find fish?? Of the eating variety!

Greetings!

Well the wife and I have been here for a bit over a month and we're pretty much all settled in. Just working out of some of the culture changes coming from the east.

The one thing that both of us have been trying to find is a good place to get fish from! We've tried the supermarkets and I don't know who told these people to fry fish but, it's wrong. It was at a Marsh grocery store.

I tried finding the 56th Street Fish Market @ 5500 Emerson Way Ste A,
Indianapolis, IN 46226-1477. Even tried calling the number listed and it was disconnected.

I know the best I'm going to get for ocean fish is frozen. I understand that. But where are these places???? I live right around the area of W. 62nd and Binford. Grateful for any suggestions. And personal experiences at places are more wanted then just throwing up a google search result. I've hit google aready and it wasn't very helpful in this quest!

I appreciate it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 08:18 PM

6,725 posts, read 7,502,410 times
I have purchased fish from the Fresh Market on 54th and College; no idea if it is the good stuff or not. I like it, but I have never lived further than 90 miles from Indiana, so I don't know if you would like it or not.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:45 PM

106 posts, read 255,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
I have purchased fish from the Fresh Market on 54th and College; no idea if it is the good stuff or not. I like it, but I have never lived further than 90 miles from Indiana, so I don't know if you would like it or not.
Thanks DC .. I'll give it a try. They have ocean fish there, right? Not looking for trout, perch and other freshwater fish. Haddock and other good whitefish. I found their site online and it's not that far from the house.

Thx!

Old 09-01-2008, 07:06 AM

68 posts, read 233,793 times
Biggz, I grew up in Florida and have missed fresh seafood ever since. I agree that you'll find a few nice items at Fresh Market. You'll pay a lot more than you would have back on the coast (of course), but some options are available. They were flying in fresh king salmon, but that season is over. They have fresh alaskan coho salmon now, which I don't like as much (it's sweeter or something), but it's available. Their fresh sea scallops are outstanding.

The guys at the counter are very knowledgeable and they can likely tell you what is available locally. I'm new here too and am still figuring it out. If you find something better, please share!

Old 09-01-2008, 11:57 AM

17,576 posts, read 24,244,513 times
I always special order fish from O'Malias or Kroger. When we lived in Fishers, we used to get decent fresh fish from Jonah's on Brookschool Road and Fall Creek Road. Not sure if it's still there.

I serve Lake Perch on the holidays and nobody and I mean NOBODY carries it south of the region.

Welcome to landlocked Indiana! O'Malias was always good to me. Their fishguys are pretty knowledgeable. They have a store downtown I believe.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:20 AM

830 posts, read 1,381,840 times
I would recommend this place

http://www.city-data.com/city/Indiana.html

Located at 96th and Meridian - about a 10-15 drive for you depending on time of the day.

You might want to also check out Fresh Market at 54th and College (I've never had their fish, but I know their Shrimp is excellent - better than Marsh

Yeah the 56th Street Fish Market closed - too bad I used to go there all the time - although the last year it was in business somehting went wrong because the quality went downhill noticeably.

There is an O'Malias at 56th street and Emerson - or actually just slightly east of that

Last edited by BU191433; 09-02-2008 at 07:21 AM..

Old 09-02-2008, 11:52 AM

2,710 posts, read 5,559,923 times
one of the good local food blogs is feedmedrinkme.com and they have mentioned fish purchases before. Perhaps it is one of their tags.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:30 PM

830 posts, read 1,381,840 times
Oops, my link above is not correct.

Was trying to link Kona Jacks at 96th and meridian - here it is

Kona Jack's Fish Market & Sushi Bar Indianapolis, IN - Indy, Indiana - Fresh Fish Seafood Restaurant Sushi Dining Shellfish Shrimp Crab Clams Mussels Mollusks Oysters Scallops Fresh-Water Salt-Water

Old 09-05-2008, 08:28 AM

63 posts, read 194,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiggz View Post
Thanks DC .. I'll give it a try. They have ocean fish there, right? Not looking for trout, perch and other freshwater fish. Haddock and other good whitefish. I found their site online and it's not that far from the house.

Thx!
I was just there the other day to pick up some shrimp, which btw, was the absolute best I have ever had. They have a sign up that says you can special order some fish - don't remember all that was on it but I do remember Alaskan King Crab.

I'm not that rich. Unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis