U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 03:56 PM

1,099 posts, read 2,276,442 times
Default North VS. West Sides

I lot of people come in here asking where the best places in and around Indy are to live, and many who are considering moving to Indy just automatically head for the North side. I'm over on the West side thinkin' what's up with that??

Why are Fishers, Carmel and Zionsville so stinkin' popular? What do they got that we ain't got??? (as the cowardly Lion would say)

Now, I'm not asking to start a bash-fest on Hendricks county. I love it here in Avon and I have several reasons for loving it here and for steering clear of the previously mentioned areas.

So, does anyone have any real stats or info to tell me what it is that we're missing over here?

Last edited by Michelle Morris; 09-06-2008 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: spelling issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 04:45 PM

5,626 posts, read 5,923,805 times
My guess is that it's because the areas of Indianapolis adjacent to Hamilton and Boone counties are more affluent than the westside of Indy. You are nonetheless correct to note that Hendricks County has a lot of nice areas. I think the taxes may be a bit lower in Hamilton County, but Zionsville is probably higher than anywhere in Hendricks County.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:03 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,634,613 times
It's not necessarily a particular thing, but a combination of things. I think it boils down to history.

Start with a long history of wealth that exists in Carmel and Hamilton County. One quick look tells me that there are many more expensive homes in Hamilton County than in Hendricks County. If I was going to spend 1/2 million on a home I would choose to do so where it wouldn't stick out or be one of a few. As I'm sure you know, you don't want to be the most expensive home in the neighborhood. The same principle applies to a county I think. I know people from my IL suburb that specifically moved to Carmel because homes were more expensive. True or not, a higher price often equates to "better."

Add in the prestige that Hamilton County has long had. If I'm moving from elsewhere I'm not necessarily going to choose the up and coming over the long established.

Shopping is MUCH better in or near Hamilton County. If I need to do power shopping I'm skipping that mall in Plainfield (never been there as a matter of fact because it doesn't really offer anything I can't get in Bloomington. Trust me, that's a very sad statement.) I would rather spend the additional time in the car driving to the north or northeast side for unique department stores and nice things.

To my knowledge there is no real downtown area in Avon. The last time I drove through there is seemed to be lined with strip mall after strip mall with no sense of a central location. I know Danville has it's square, but many people like the idea of a downtown.

Although some may see the proximity of the airport as a plus I would view it as a negative. Having lived in the Chicago area I know to watch out for where jets fly when they are in a holding pattern. That would be a concern for me in Plainfield or Avon.

Schools are historically excellent in Hamilton County.

I also would be more concerned about unfettered and poorly planned development in Hendricks County. I would be worried about the need to increase taxes for things like new water plants and other infrastructure. I don't know if it's a realistic fear, but I don't think I would want to take the time to research if I was relocating from elsewhere.

I don't intend to bash Hendricks County. My H grew up in Hendricks County and many members of his family still live there, just as they have for generations. I'm just stating the viewpoint of someone that moved back to Indiana from elsewhere. Many people choose to go with the known entity rather than take a chance on something that might "someday" be reality.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:13 AM

17,562 posts, read 24,065,066 times
Because Fishers, Carmel & Hamilton County spend a ton of cash marketing themselves to other areas of the country. They can tout that they make national lists of best places to live and if you are someone not of Indiana, don't have friends or relatives in the area, this is what you have to go by ...

Old 09-08-2008, 06:17 AM

829 posts, read 1,369,285 times
I grew up in the Washington township area - close to Lawrence. I have never lived in Henricks county - I currently live in Carmel. Almost all of the people I know who grew up in Washington township now live in Foshers, Carmel, Westfield, Nobelsville or Zionsville.

But to answer the question bluntly - overall the northside is nicer. I suppose you could argue that, but one thing that cannot be argued is that the northside has a much, much, much larger nicer area than does the westside. So that attracts the nicer restaurants, nicer shopping.........

Old 09-08-2008, 07:35 AM

6,708 posts, read 7,415,243 times
My theory, which has nothing to do with demographics and stores and all that stuff. Folks in Hamilton County think their county is great. They love the schools, the shopping, all that stuff that makes HamCo what it is. They tell everyone they know to move to HamCo and exclaim that it is the best place to live. Contrast that with Hendricks County, whose folks think Hendricks County is great. They love the schools, the shopping, and all the stuff that makes Hendricks County what it is. They just hope that no one else finds out.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:41 AM

I still thinks it's marketing to out of towners. When people come in here from the coasts, they always ask about Hamilton County first and foremost because they heard this or that.

It's marketing. I think that the rest of the metro area appeals mainly to people who are native hoosiers.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:34 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,976,342 times
I'll take Hendricks County over Hamilton County any day. Probably for the same reasons MikiJayne has. And Domergurl is right...it seems like so many new residents are "conditioned" to think that the northside is the best & only choice. If you've lived here long enough, you'll find there are many nice areas other than Hamilton County. And I guess you could say we are "upper middle class" but we don't live by the keeping up with the jones mentality. I much prefer the laid back, more country like area of Hendricks county to the traffic, shopping & somewhat snooty attitude some northsiders have. But I grew up in southern Indiana & the westside reminds me of the good aspects of where I was raised.

I've never lacked for shopping or dining in Hendricks County. If I want to go to the "big fancy malls", I hop in the car & drive a whole 15-20 minutes to whatever side of town I want. It's really not an issue for me.

It doesn't bother me that everyone wants to pile into Hamilton County. That means less school crowding, less traffic & more land for those on the westside. However, with the way Avon & the westside in general is growing, I don't think it's going to be a best kept secret for very much longer. I may have to head out to Danville~

Each side of town offers something a little different. Isn't it nice to have a choice. Different strokes for different folks

PS... I have to say I love Zionsville though

Last edited by PixiStix; 09-08-2008 at 08:46 AM..

Old 09-08-2008, 04:21 PM

1,099 posts, read 2,276,442 times
Thanks for all the opinions, positives for the North side and positives for the West as well. Some things that both locations can learn from.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:34 PM

Let me ask you this Miki ... would you say that most of your clients are native Hoosiers, native midwesterners or coast people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis