Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:22 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,170 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to Indy from Boston and I'm wondering if there are a good amount of single, young professional's there. Boston has a lot to offer for young people but I really want a change. The Midwest has a reputation for being friendly so I'm hoping that's how it is. Also, I'm hoping there are various organization's to join. Can anybody give me feedback on the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 08:32 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,734,836 times
There are a lot of nice places downtown for young professionals, in a lot of different price ranges. Plus, plenty to do. There are also plenty of choices in the 'burbs if that fits your style more, and most have an easy commute.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:54 AM

I'm guessing Downtown may be more my style. I like to be where the action is.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:10 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I'm guessing Downtown may be more my style. I like to be where the action is.
You'll love Downtown Indianapolis. Aside from the mass transit issues, downtown has a pretty "big city" atmosphere. Housing is a bit pricey (but affordable by East Coast standards ), there's always something to do and you'll meet like plenty of like-minded people (there's a large university, IUPUI, west of downtown).

Old 09-22-2008, 12:23 PM

Any suggestions for nice apartments complexes in Downtown Indy? How are the Riley Towers? Are there lots of single, educated, young professional's in the city?

Old 09-22-2008, 12:32 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Any suggestions for nice apartments complexes in Downtown Indy? How are the Riley Towers? Are there lots of single, educated, young professional's in the city?
From my experience Riley Towers seems to be the most sought after address downtown. The views are spectacular, but the apartments themselves are relatively expensive. Quite a few urban professionals live at the Towers. If you can afford it, I think you'll like the Towers quite a bit.

The Continental at Meridian and Vermont Streets is another good choice and has a nice location in the middle of everything. Canal Square is another magnet for urban professionals (warning: lots of college students as well). It's located between the IUPUI complex and the canal, and it offers great views of both the canal and downtown. The Gardens of Canal Court up the street (where I lived when I was in Indy) have plenty of students and professionals as well. Both of these communities are considerably less expensive than Riley Towers.

As far as the number of single, young professionals in the city is you'll be pleasantly surprised. There's a decent amount of them in Indy; perhaps as much or slightly more than similar sized cities in the Midwest or South but not nearly as much as Boston or Chicago. However, they tend to "thrive" better in certain parts of town (Downtown, Broad Ripple, northside, etc).

If you'd like, I can give you a link via private message to a website that will let you compare and read ratings from various apartment communties (don't want to seem like a spammer here)

Last edited by Colts; 09-22-2008 at 12:41 PM..

Old 09-22-2008, 12:42 PM

Indy does sound nice. I'm guessing it's easier to meet down to earth people in Indy. New England tends to be tough since people are very uptight. Riley Towers is about half the price of a similar place in Boston so I find it very affordable.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:53 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,472,848 times
And living downtown has some fun advantages. We walk to all the local festivals, enjoy the downtown library without having to drive. Can enjoy a beer downtown and not have to worry about a designated driver, just a designated walker :-)

There are monthly art gallery get togethers and Mass Ave just had a huge open house that coincided with the Friday art openings. The big sports venues are all downtown and we can go to basketball, baseball and football and then walk home. City Market and its farmers market in the summer season.

I love a short commute. I can go home for lunch which is nice.

For the big parades, you never have to worry about parking and you can visit the floats before the parade.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:24 PM

Wow. Indy sounds like a great place.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:48 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,029 times
Just to play devil's advocate...you will have quite the culture shock moving to Indy. Why? Because Indy lacks much of the culture that Boston has.

My husband (a physician from Boston) moved to Indy and counted the days until we moved away. Several of his friends, from Chicago, LA, etc, also moved for a specific purpose and could not wait to move away. Downtown Indy is VERY small, and does not have much of the arts, culture or diversity of Boston or larger cities. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: