U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 01:27 PM

149 posts, read 277,337 times
Default Historical Neighborhoods

Ok for all you non vinyl village lovers what's the best historical neighborhood in Indy??

I personally love Lockerbie of course and Fletcher Place is pretty sweet as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 03:41 PM

2,652 posts, read 5,354,524 times
What do you mean by best? Best association, most interesting and interested owners, biggest houses, most tightly controlled architectural standards, best appreciation, best neighborhood activities, etc.

Each one is different. Lockerbie has a very involved organizational structure and some nice activities, but it is priced way out there and its taxes are very high. Meridian Kessler is much larger with a good association but not as many activities due to the large size and many parts.

Cottage Home is actively involved in the improvement of their neighborhood and are not that old an association. St. Joseph is about 20 years old or so and a mix of business and residential which makes an interesting mix. But not a lot of activities.

So you need to be more specific in what you are looking for.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:01 PM

18,269 posts, read 2,586,217 times
i like Saint Josephs,Tarkington,Meridian Kessler,Broad Ripple,and the old northside. They are great neighborhoods.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
What do you mean by best? Best association, most interesting and interested owners, biggest houses, most tightly controlled architectural standards, best appreciation, best neighborhood activities, etc.

Each one is different. Lockerbie has a very involved organizational structure and some nice activities, but it is priced way out there and its taxes are very high. Meridian Kessler is much larger with a good association but not as many activities due to the large size and many parts.

Cottage Home is actively involved in the improvement of their neighborhood and are not that old an association. St. Joseph is about 20 years old or so and a mix of business and residential which makes an interesting mix. But not a lot of activities.

So you need to be more specific in what you are looking for.
Sweetana3 this is not for me...just a general discussion. Best for you not for me whatever those reasons may be.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:26 AM

6,643 posts, read 7,165,036 times
I have always liked Fletcher Place and Herron-Morton. Lockerbie and Old Northside are nice; but I would say Fletcher Place is probably my personal favorite. I like Irvington, but some people are quick to write it off because of the crime in the area. Little Flower is a nice little neighborhood too; though it is a little too close to Rural-Sherman for my tastes.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
I have always liked Fletcher Place and Herron-Morton. Lockerbie and Old Northside are nice; but I would say Fletcher Place is probably my personal favorite. I like Irvington, but some people are quick to write it off because of the crime in the area. Little Flower is a nice little neighborhood too; though it is a little too close to Rural-Sherman for my tastes.
I agree Fletcher Place is up and comming and prices are still reasonable. I think it's the second oldest neighborhood as well. Irvington is nice while surrounded by crap.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:26 AM

3,258 posts, read 5,474,820 times
Are there any cute neighborhoods on the south side of Indianapolis? My husband will be working in Columbus, so north is probably too far. And I love traditional style with the big front porches and built in hutches and wood floors.

Is there a "bad" reason why rent is so much cheaper in "town" rather than some place like Greenwood?
If there's an area with cute shops and decent sidewalks close to a few shops and restaurants?

Old 10-09-2008, 08:21 AM

2,652 posts, read 5,354,524 times
I have heard nice things about Franklin and find it a very nice town. It is between Indy and Columbus and this might fufill all your needs. Cuteness with shops is not found a lot in southside Indy.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:30 AM

6,643 posts, read 7,165,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
Are there any cute neighborhoods on the south side of Indianapolis? My husband will be working in Columbus, so north is probably too far. And I love traditional style with the big front porches and built in hutches and wood floors.

Is there a "bad" reason why rent is so much cheaper in "town" rather than some place like Greenwood?
If there's an area with cute shops and decent sidewalks close to a few shops and restaurants?
Perhaps you could check Downtown Southport.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:30 AM

5,564 posts, read 5,733,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Perhaps you could check Downtown Southport.
Homecroft, just north of Southport, is a lovely residential area, but has no shops. Southport is next door, however, and the shopping conveniences of Greenwood and the Southport Road/I-65 exit are an easy drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis