U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 06:45 AM

914 posts, read 1,141,743 times

Advertisements

Sick sick sick should have gotten the death penalty for that girls death.I hope she is at peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 12:51 PM

17,876 posts, read 22,174,755 times
Default Sylvia Likens - does anyone remember her murder?

Hello,

I know that this maybe before many of your time, but in October of 1965, a 16 year old girl was found tortured to death at the home of Gertrude Baniszewski. Baniszewski, her daughters Paula and Stephanie as well as some neighborhood children systematically beat, burned, branded,and starved Sylvia to death.

I am trying to locate anyone who knows of the whereabouts of the perpetrators.
Paula changed her name to Banks married and relocated to Iowa
Paula gave Sylvia scalding baths and poured salt in Sylvia's numerous wounds. She was cruel and sadistic.
She also served very little time.
Does anyone knows of her whereabouts, her married name or have any clues as to how Paula Banks Baniszewski can be found, please send me a direct message. I want to write a book about this case.

I am also trying to locate Stephanie Banks Baniszewski who was also involved in this crime.
They attended Arsenal Memorial High School in the 1960s
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:25 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,175,123 times
Please make my day and report back that you've found them all to be dead.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:29 PM

990 posts, read 1,486,732 times
Gertrude was released from prison not that long ago and moved to Iowa where she passed away a few years ago.I think the daughter Paula is still alive and Sylvia's sister just died a few years ago also.if you search this forum there was a thread about this not that long ago with some of the info you are asking about.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:37 PM

17,698 posts, read 35,088,567 times
if you use Wikipedia ... it gives pretty detailed information.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:14 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,134,396 times
This was in the Indy Star last week marking the anniversary of her death. At the end, it gives an update on what happened to pretty much everyone involved... I could read it 20 times & still be in disbelief that these people could do something so horrific. Twisted & evil have no boundaries I guess. And so sad that people saw what was happening with this girl & looked the other way.

StarFiles: The 1965 murder of Sylvia Likens | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

Old 11-03-2010, 09:25 PM

Paula and Stephanie are alive and well. Stephanie lives in FLA is married and has children and grandkids.
It irks me that she had the opportunity to live a normal life, while Sylvia did not get that chance.

Paula next to Coy Hubbard, Stephanie's sadistic boyfriend and Gertrude was perhaps the most brutal.
I know that she lives with her husband on a farm in Iowa.

I want to interview these people, and I do not think that the light sentences that they were given were at all appropriate! Why should they hide out living in obscurity after the horrible things that they did to that girl?

I would like to locate them and offer them the opportunity to tell "their side of the story"
Yes I have heard that they actually think that they have one!
Stephanie still claims that Sylvia was a teenage prostitute.
However the postmortem exam revealed that she died a virgin!

I am not looking for vigillante justice - I do not want to physically hurt these individuals but I do not think that it's right that they are living out their lived in peace.

Thanks for the link. This crime was truly gruesome and outrageous.

If anyone has any idea of the current name of Paula B or her whereabouts let me know.

IMO they got away with murder.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:30 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,175,123 times
I have posted this before on a previous thread but I know someone who served time with Gertrude. She said Gertrude was a truly evil person. I question a system which could parole such a monster.
From what I understand Gertrude died a horrible painful (not painful enough) death by cancer.
Perhaps she beat the system but ulitmately paid for her sins.
Sorry to hear any involved are doing well. I am sure their side of the story is that they were young and impressionable and lead astray by Gertrude who was a Charlie Manson in a dress.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:26 PM

You know someone who served time with Gertrude? WOW! Would she speak to me?
Yes she died of lung cancer, but the was a heavy smoker and she put out about 100 of those cigaretts on Sylvias body.
No tears shed here.
I am really focusing on Paula and her where abouts.
Johnny is dead but he was remorseful.
Paula and Stephanie remain smug and continue to defame poor Sylvia.
I had heard some where that Gertie was well liked in prison and that younger inmates called her mom.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:34 PM

11 posts, read 22,322 times
I was born later but I know alot about Sylvia Likens case in fact i have a sight one here under the name sylvialikensvoice please come and talk to me soon. love Annita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis