U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 05:22 PM

11 posts, read 22,374 times

Advertisements

Hello Im from Minnesota Mankato to be honest with you and I just heard this last week the a teachers aid was fired from a school after working there for 14 years because she lied about who she was...Yep you guessed it, it was paula but not going by banks but pace i believe I can look it up for sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 05:24 PM

heres the site for you Iowa teacher aide fired after school officials learn of role in 1965 killing | Fox News

Old 11-19-2012, 05:38 PM

how can you not rem or feel Anything still linger about this crime?

Old 11-19-2012, 06:27 PM

3,008 posts, read 4,214,771 times
Its been a while. A lot of crime in the city now but this still ranks as the most horrific act known in the city. I remember watching the movie and was like that is f'd up. Little solace for the little sister that died maybe 10 years ago.

These crimes stay with a city gets intertwined with its folklore. Just about every city has a gertrude or a paula cooper that is just unthinkable.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 PM

17,878 posts, read 22,180,921 times
Yes I have heard. Paula was found in Iowa, working as a teacher's aid. She is a Sociopath. She knew that as a convicted felon that she had no right to apply for a job working with children. The question on the application was clear - "Have you ever been convicted of a crime?" She said "NO".

An absolute lie.

But wait -Paula continued to lie. A convicted felon can not vote. But Paula did. Every year. A registered Republican, Paula voted for candidates since the late 1980s.

She is a law unto her own self. She can obey no one and no rule or law.

My guess is that she was the recipient of her fair share of beatings administered by Gertrude and her father.
This does not excuse her actions.

This was a violent, punitive and degenerate family. I'm not sure if any of them should be "on the loose".

Old 11-20-2012, 03:15 PM

128 posts, read 118,619 times
Just a horrific crime. I agree that these people are all sick and hope they all burn in hell. But I could also never understand how the parents of two young girls could just leave them with a total stranger like that and then seem surprised that something had happened to them.

I believe Sylvia is buried in Oak Hill Cemetery in Lebanon and many of her relatives still live in the town there.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:56 AM

17,698 posts, read 35,092,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvialikensvoice View Post
how can you not rem or feel Anything still linger about this crime?
that's a pretty big trip to lay on us ...

2 innocent people were blown up in an act of stupid violence 2 weeks ago. While the Sylvia Likens case still evokes emotion, and I don't mean to sound cold, this act happened a long time ago ...

Old 11-21-2012, 08:30 AM

128 posts, read 118,619 times
Maybe the difference is that this little girl was brutally tortured for several days and so many people knew about it and did nothing to help her. The kids she went to school with would go over and watch them torture her and sometimes join in. Not just one or two kids, but numerous children. The neighbors heard her screaming and did nothing. Even the minister of their church knew she was in trouble and just turned away. Her own parents left her with these strangers for months and months and never even checked on her or had another family member check on her.

I don't think anyone is saying that this murder is worse than other murders or acidents that take people's lives. They're all horrible. The Sylvia Likens case is just so crazy because there were a hundred people who could have stopped it and no one did a thing to help. It's a shame that Indianapolis will never outlive. And people shouldn't forget.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:50 AM

17,698 posts, read 35,092,279 times
I don't think anyone will forget ...

Old 11-21-2012, 07:21 PM

219 posts, read 378,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I don't think anyone will forget ...

And obviously, judging from this thread, nobody has. The Sylvia Likens case has had two movies made about it (at least), numerous true crime books and scholarly papers. I suspect you might agree with me just a tiny bit that it's time to put it to rest? I feel like some of this fascination borders on fetishization, nearly always from posters coming from outside Indy. Doesn't anyone want to give the poor girl and her family peace?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis