Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:44 AM

7 posts, read 22,495 times

Advertisements

I am looking for an apartment in the Indianapolis Area. I currently live in Greencastle, IN which is about 45 minutes south west of there. I don't want to be too far away from my family here in Greencastle So I am trying to find somewhere on anything but the north side. See I am trying to go to the Ivy Tech out there, study for radiology, and start a life on my own with my boyfriend. Well he has a job at Walmart and is making about 7.80 hrly and he can transfer to indy. I can't find a job in greencastle or anywhere close around it so I am looking to move to indy. I am a certified administrative assistant but noone will hire me because i am not 18 till march so i am looking for a retail store job or sumthin like that. but noone will hire me at these places either due to little experience. Luckly my boyfriend is older than me. So I have a few questions

1) On a scale 1(being impossible) - 10(being a definite) how hard will it be for me to find a decent paying job? and how long will it take do you think?

2) I have looked at EVERY apartment website known to man and well i cant decide on a 1 bedroom apartment place. I am looking for a place pretty close to my home rather than all the way up north, in a GOOD neighborhood (so i wont have to worry bout getting shot or nething), and i am looking for a spacious place CHEAP!!! (probley in the 300-450 range.) Also if possible walkin bedroom closet, closet outside of room in hallway or living quarters, and a pretty decent size living room, dining area, & patio/porch. Any recommendations?

3) LAST BUT NOT LEAST I am wondering in an apartment as described about how much will: HEAT,WATER,ELECTRIC, and CABLE Cost Each. I am trying to budget everything out.

Please help I just want to get out of this town in Butt ****ed Egypt with no jobs and no ANYTHING for miles. I want to start college along with my life and I need some good advice and answers to all my questions to help me make a more reasonable decision. HELP !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 01:04 PM

891 posts, read 2,450,302 times
There are many apartment complexes along 65 near Greenwood - I personally don't know anything about them myself.

I can tell you that any apartment you find for less than $450.00 will likely be a piece of junk and likely be in a bad neighborhood. Finding any apartment for less than $500 is difficult but not impossible.

Some apartments pay for heat for you. But if they don't, electric, heat, water, cable will run you about $150.00 a month at least - more in the winter time.

Sorry I don't have better news. But if I were you I would stay with my parents for as long as you can - you have your whole life to live on your own - plus it isn't that great and it is really expensive - it really is

Old 11-26-2008, 05:22 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,207 times
BU--- Truer words have never been spoken. Rep points for you!

Old 11-26-2008, 09:12 PM

46 posts, read 154,697 times
I feel for you. I remember being your age and feeling like I just could not wait to move out on my own. But, wow, you are not even 18 yet. That's great that you can be an administrative assistant but I bet it's because you're not even 18 that's keeping you from being hired. You are going to have a hard time affording to live on your own if you only make minimum wage.

Unless your parents are mean to you, stick it out another year or two? I think you should consider staying with them while you go to school. Save up your money. Years ago, my husband (before we got married), when he was 22 and a college grad! had to live with his parents for a year because he didn't have a very good job and couldn't afford a place on his own. So anyway, he lived with them for a year but after that year he had enough saved to pay off his car (18% interest, would you believe?!?!?-- yeah we were dumb new college grads who were taken advantage of, another story) AND he was able to buy his first house!

So think and have a plan. You cannot really afford to move out on your own at 17. A radiology degree will be great and will open many doors for you. Be patient and a better time will come for you to strike it out on your own.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:28 AM

63 posts, read 294,978 times
I can understand how you feel. Heck, I just moved out of my parents house two years ago and I'm 28! Living on your own is a HUGE responsibility. You may be able to find an admin job, but it's going to be even harder finding one that is willing to work around your school schedule. As someone else said, paying anything less than $450 is going to get you the ghetto. I pay over $500 and just witnessed a rape last week.

I would stay home until you're done with school and save some money. And not to be a Debbie Downer, but what if things go wrong between you and your boyfriend? You'd have a lease you would have to pay and half the income.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:05 PM

The Only thing About your answer as well as the others is a 45 minute commute back and forth everyday to go to school. WITHOUT A JOB is really difficult. My parents are broke and can't afford to be giving me gas. I am just really confused. I just figured out if my boyfriend has the 7.40 an hour job and i get a 7 hr job a 500 dollar apartment with utilities and food and all that would leave us about 126 left. but i REALLY DONT KNOW. I am just so confused and everything.

I know most teenagers would LOVE to do what I am doing (sitting at home doing nothing) but it is really horrible for me. I have to something to do constantly. I need school or a job or something. It just really blows.

I talked to my mom and she has been saying the same to me. BUT she said on the other hand I stay here: I cant commute back and forth to college and i will probley get nowhere. So I really dont know what to do.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:14 PM

63 posts, read 294,978 times
Is there anyway you can either take some online courses and then cram the rest of your classes into one or two days? Sure, you'll be sitting in a class for 3 hours but it will cut down on your commute time if you do decide to live at home.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:31 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
When I first saw this post it took great restraint to not respond with a lecture. A few others have said what I was thinking, perhaps in a nicer way though. You've confirmed a couple of things. Some of this may sound harsh, but I really hate to see another young person start off life making one mistake after another.

First, I don't think most teenagers would love to be doing what you're doing.

You've confirmed that at 17 you are sitting at home. What happened to high school? Did you graduate? Did you drop out? Do you have a GED? Without a high school diploma or a GED plan to work at minimum wage jobs and struggle for many, many years. As an employer I really don't care about your administrative asst. certificate if you don't have a diploma or GED to back it up. Where exactly did that certificate come from? Was it something your high school handed out?

$126 a month left over? Hmm....what happens when the car needs fixed or one of you is sick and insurance doesn't cover it? What happens when gas prices go up again? Again, what happens when the boyfriend decides he doesn't like playing house any more? I can almost guarantee that will happen. Sorry to be brutally honest about it.

In many places in this country people would be happy to only spend 45 minutes commuting. IF you want it, than find a way to make it work. Find a job near Ivy Tech since you'll already be in the area.

Whatever you do, DO NOT move in with your boyfriend. I don't care how much you "love" each other. You are both very young and playing house isn't easy under the best of circumstances. Throw in a lack of money, and it just became much, much harder.

I understand what it's like to have to overcome a difficult economic situation to get an education, but if you really, really want to make a better life for YOURSELF you can find a way to do so. No excuses, no boyfriends, no sitting around, just you making a life for yourself.

Sorry to be so brutal and harsh.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:02 PM

438 posts, read 1,360,215 times
Honey, I have lived in Greencastle off and on for 13 years. I know first hand how sick and non-existent the job situation is here. My husband works at H.A. or does right now. I'm sure you know the situation with that place. We're moving to Columbus in the fall so my husband can go to IUPUC and we can get jobs that aren't an hour and change away but still pay more than minimum wage.

A word of advice, take a deep breath, go over to the Work One office by the park and talk to the ladies there, see what they can come up with for you as far as a game plan to put you in a better place financially to make such a large-scale lifestyle change such as going from po-dunk to Indy or even the surrounding area. Perhaps start out with taking your core classes at the Distro Ivy Tech extension center and go from there.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
When I first saw this post it took great restraint to not respond with a lecture. A few others have said what I was thinking, perhaps in a nicer way though. You've confirmed a couple of things. Some of this may sound harsh, but I really hate to see another young person start off life making one mistake after another.

First, I don't think most teenagers would love to be doing what you're doing.

You've confirmed that at 17 you are sitting at home. What happened to high school? Did you graduate? Did you drop out? Do you have a GED? Without a high school diploma or a GED plan to work at minimum wage jobs and struggle for many, many years. As an employer I really don't care about your administrative asst. certificate if you don't have a diploma or GED to back it up. Where exactly did that certificate come from? Was it something your high school handed out?

$126 a month left over? Hmm....what happens when the car needs fixed or one of you is sick and insurance doesn't cover it? What happens when gas prices go up again? Again, what happens when the boyfriend decides he doesn't like playing house any more? I can almost guarantee that will happen. Sorry to be brutally honest about it.

In many places in this country people would be happy to only spend 45 minutes commuting. IF you want it, than find a way to make it work. Find a job near Ivy Tech since you'll already be in the area.

Whatever you do, DO NOT move in with your boyfriend. I don't care how much you "love" each other. You are both very young and playing house isn't easy under the best of circumstances. Throw in a lack of money, and it just became much, much harder.

I understand what it's like to have to overcome a difficult economic situation to get an education, but if you really, really want to make a better life for YOURSELF you can find a way to do so. No excuses, no boyfriends, no sitting around, just you making a life for yourself.

Sorry to be so brutal and harsh.

Well I went to North PUtnam High School out here and winded up sueing them for harassment and because of many other things and won. I was doing really good in school but then due to these 2 girls trying to gang up on me and fight me and DEFENDING MYSELF I got kicked out for 2 months. Then I come back and they said I took too many days off (even though they kicked me out) and said that I would be getting zeros on all the assignments I turned in for the rest of the year. So what was the point on staying at that school, doing the work & then getting no credit for it. So my mom took me out and tried homeschooling. She didnt have enough time so we looked into other schools in the surrounding area and well tuition was too much for us. Then my friend had told me about the Job Corps centers. I went to the one in Chicago and took the Bussiness and Finance trade along with my GED. I graduated out of there in 6 months compared to the slackers and their 2 year completions. I also got a reward for graduating so early.
Then I come home and I am in the position I am in now. NO JOBS because I am in the middle of nowhere. And actually I went to a Job Fair and talked with the people there in indianapolis and they said they really enjoyed talking to me and they would of hired me on the pot and everything only if I was 18 (which will be in march). So because of my age I am getting screwed over.
As far as the car goes well before I move (lucky to have a wonderful loving mom andthank god for her) she is going to get me a reliable car so this WONT happen. She use to be a car salesmen and she knows all about cars so YEA. wont happen. For the gas price and this reason also is why before i move to indy I will saive up 6-8 grand also. I am not stupid. I help my mom manage her money and have been working basically all my life (since 9) with a work permit from court because I would get kiked out of my dads house all the time because he was a drunk. So I know how the life is on your own. It is difficult ok.
As far as my boyfriend goes well we have been together happily for 2 1/2 years. So i highyl doubt he is going to leave me. If he was going to he would of by now. But thanks for that suggestion anyway. I have carefully planned things for a while now. I am not moving out right away. I am saving and getting things ahead of time.
Sorry to be so brutally harsh back but I feel that it is neccesary. It is hard for everyone being out on your own. I DONT CARE WHO YOU ARE HOW MUCH YOU MAKE. most people start out with no money and have to work there way up and I am willing to do this.

but thanks for the concern
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis