Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 09:43 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGoat View Post
MSA was removed due to the construction of Conseco. The Hoosier Dome is being torn down due to the construction of Lucas Oil Field. One of the selling points for LOF was that the space the HD sits on was needed for expansion of the Convention Center which is boxed in by development on all sides.

The city saw no need to maintain the old stadiums as the new ones would handle the duties of the old. The old site of MSA is currently gravel parking (very classy in the downtown area), however, new uses have been recommended as the following, a new City-County Buildings, new jail, high rise condos. The latter actually was in the works, however, due to poor sales/interest it didn't go through.

As far as the locations, they were great for the old sites. MSA was right in the heart of Downtown, as is Conseco, and had on site parking. The reason for the destruction of both sites was simply a matter of updating the facilities so that the owners of two major PRIVATELY owned sports franchises could benefit from PUBLIC dollars to build them more efficient money makers.
Thanks for your reply I remember hearing on the news about the condo deals. Some times I wonder if cities, not just Indy, are ripping out the heart and soul of their cities by tearing down to always build new and bigger. Other times I see the need for updating. I hear ya on private owned public dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 02:54 PM

295 posts, read 948,939 times
Some trade shows also moved away to other cities (i.e. CEDIA is now in Orlando) because the Indy convention center just wasn't big enough to house the shows. I remember hearing in the news that some of these shows promised to go back to Indy if the convention center was in fact expanded.

It would be all good for the city if they bring their business back .

Old 12-18-2008, 04:14 PM

205 posts, read 587,510 times
Except to see the Colts, I've not been to downtown Indy in years (waiting for I-69 LOL) What happened to the food market ("City Market"?)underneath the walkway to MSA?

Old 12-18-2008, 04:24 PM

108 posts, read 281,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGoat View Post
MSA was removed due to the construction of Conseco. The Hoosier Dome is being torn down due to the construction of Lucas Oil Field. One of the selling points for LOF was that the space the HD sits on was needed for expansion of the Convention Center which is boxed in by development on all sides.

The city saw no need to maintain the old stadiums as the new ones would handle the duties of the old. The old site of MSA is currently gravel parking (very classy in the downtown area), however, new uses have been recommended as the following, a new City-County Buildings, new jail, high rise condos. The latter actually was in the works, however, due to poor sales/interest it didn't go through.

As far as the locations, they were great for the old sites. MSA was right in the heart of Downtown, as is Conseco, and had on site parking. The reason for the destruction of both sites was simply a matter of updating the facilities so that the owners of two major PRIVATELY owned sports franchises could benefit from PUBLIC dollars to build them more efficient money makers.
Great post! thanx...

Old 12-18-2008, 08:17 PM

163 posts, read 659,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickp View Post
Except to see the Colts, I've not been to downtown Indy in years (waiting for I-69 LOL) What happened to the food market ("City Market"?)underneath the walkway to MSA?

It is still there, underwent a remodel this past year or two.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:30 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
I just happened to see this thread.

I live on the West Coast and was living up in Seattle when the Kingdome was imploded. It was a sunny morning in March 2000.

It is a really interesting thing to watch. I'd recommend going. Doesn't the Hoosier Dome have an inflatable roof? If I recall, it does. What made the Kingdome implosion interesting is that the "upside down" jello-mold roof spanning that stadium was also reinforced concrete and it was the largest self-supporting concrete roof in the world.

Personally, I think the old stadium looked better with the Seattle skyline than does the new stadium that's sitting there. Ditto for the Hoosier Dome...not a bad-looking structure.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:28 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
I loved the Kingdome ... used to eat at a pub that had a great view and my advancing age has prevented me from remembering the name of the pub.

I think the "balloon" was dismantled already wasn't it? Isn't is basically just a shell of the building????

Old 12-19-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I loved the Kingdome ... used to eat at a pub that had a great view and my advancing age has prevented me from remembering the name of the pub.

I think the "balloon" was dismantled already wasn't it? Isn't is basically just a shell of the building????
Fabric roof has been removed.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:28 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times
The Dome is no more. Tis a sad day in Indianapolis...

Old 12-20-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
The Dome is no more. Tis a sad day in Indianapolis...
Don't be too sad, we can still enjoy paying down the debt still owed for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis