U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-04-2007, 05:17 PM

4 posts, read 14,032 times
Default Considering to move to Avon, Indiana

Hello Guys,

I am a Newbie on this forum. I currently live with my family in Illinois (border to Terre Haute, INDIANA). We are considering to moving to Avon, Indianapolis region.

I would love to hear any comments from folks who lived in Avon in the past about the neighborhoods and life in general. Thanks.

Bogg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 09:02 AM

50 posts, read 204,328 times
Avon is a nice area, it's kind of unique because there is no downtown area. The entire area is all shopping plazas with no real center of town. Most of it is all along US-36 (Rockville Road).

The bad part about it is the roads weren't able to keep up with the growth. I have a good friend who lives in Avon. He used to have a 15 minute trip to downtown Indy. With all of the added traffic and lights, it now takes him over 45 minutes or more.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:45 AM

1,785 posts, read 1,496,782 times
Avon is just really small but its a nice quiet suburb. Pretty much one large road goes down the middle of everything. But its not close to anything good like the northside. And all the areas around it are more low income or run down. I think it has its nich for some people though.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:28 PM

631 posts, read 1,854,500 times
I've been thinking about moving out there also. Like has been said, it's actually a pretty decent place, but it seems like Avon is a 'fake' city. It feels like once some shopping was set up, neighborhoods followed, then the city boundries were defined.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,770 times
I am a real estate agent in Avon and I really like it here. I moved here from Idaho. If you have any questions or need to find the better neighborhoods in Avon please send me an e-mail

Old 03-26-2007, 01:59 PM

28 posts, read 131,852 times
Avon is a safe place. It's not the most exciting place but it is safe. They do have the newly developed Metropolis lifestyle center which is pretty nice. It's a modern designed "outdoor" mall. Other than that Avon is one "big box" retail and strip center after another. If your job is there then it's certainly worth consideration. If it is in Indianapolis then you may want to check out some Indianapolis neighborhoods. The 2007 neighborhood guide might be helpful:

http://nuvo.net/neighborhood/NeighborhoodGuide2007.pdf

All the best!

Old 10-22-2007, 08:07 AM

39 posts, read 185,704 times
Avon is a good place. Lots and lots of retail just popping up, but there are some fairly descent architectural guidelines and the retail buildings mostly have a pleasant appearance.

There are some initiatives to build massive warehouses and other highly urbanized crap, but I think the slowing economy will keep this all in check. "Cheap home" builders have seemed to slow almost to a crawl, which is great. It will help control the massive growth seen in the school district and related taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis