U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-08-2007, 08:56 AM
 
105 posts, read 268,851 times
Reputation: 55
Thanks Southside. Moving is FUN isn't it?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2007, 09:03 AM
 
2,152 posts, read 6,658,511 times
Reputation: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanacus View Post
Thanks Southside. Moving is FUN isn't it?

I call it hellish roller coaster-like fun. when you think you found just the right house and then discover that the RE taxes are over 7K a year, you want to jump out of the roller coaster and do something else.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2007, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Turn Left at Greenland
17,523 posts, read 23,549,183 times
Reputation: 7378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanacus View Post
Hey there. The movers just packed us up yesterday and after work/daycare today, I'm driving the dog and girls up. And from now on I'll be doing the weekend commute instead of my wife (we found a decent rental house in Mundelein by the way). My goal is to be up there after the first week of May. Hopefully the house will sell by then. As far as work...I have to start looking, but my top priority is to get rolling on my Masters thesis which is due in November. I will be lonely here during the week, but at least my nights will be free to do my homework.

Later!


Best of luck! Check into Young at Heart for daycare. We used them. They are in Libertyville, just off Butterfield Road. They were WONDERFUL!!!
__________________
If there won't be dancing at the revolution, I'm not coming.
Emma Goldman
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2007, 02:13 PM
 
14 posts, read 52,710 times
Reputation: 10
I take it most people on here are from Fishers. I used to live in Carmel and am on the boat in Geist all summer. If I had to choose between them I would choose Carmel in a heart beat.

-Better schools, if anyone thinks Fishers schools are better then just look at the test scores. Carmel regularly beats the private schools around here and they have the best sports in the state.

-better shopping: close to the fashion mall, they have Clay terrace, and now they are building that 500 million dollar town square project with an outdoor ampetheatre(sp?), water park,etc.

What the hell is there in Fishers besides strip malls,young people buying their first house, and waiting in traffic an hour on I-69 to get into the city. Geist has big houses (but so does Carmel) and a tiny "lake". What else does Geist have to offer? Fishers/Geist needs Indianapolis but Carmel doesn't. That being said, I am young and can't afford Carmel, so would probably buy a house in Fishers if I was to stay in Indy
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2007, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Turn Left at Greenland
17,523 posts, read 23,549,183 times
Reputation: 7378
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhougland View Post
I take it most people on here are from Fishers. I used to live in Carmel and am on the boat in Geist all summer. If I had to choose between them I would choose Carmel in a heart beat.

-Better schools, if anyone thinks Fishers schools are better then just look at the test scores. Carmel regularly beats the private schools around here and they have the best sports in the state.

-better shopping: close to the fashion mall, they have Clay terrace, and now they are building that 500 million dollar town square project with an outdoor ampetheatre(sp?), water park,etc.

What the hell is there in Fishers besides strip malls,young people buying their first house, and waiting in traffic an hour on I-69 to get into the city. Geist has big houses (but so does Carmel) and a tiny "lake". What else does Geist have to offer? Fishers/Geist needs Indianapolis but Carmel doesn't. That being said, I am young and can't afford Carmel, so would probably buy a house in Fishers if I was to stay in Indy
You're wrong ...

How many HSE schools were listed as not having met standards according to NCLB? None. Can't say that about Carmel schools.

Here's HSE's data:

http://mustang.doe.state.in.us/SEARC....cfm?schl=2499

And Carmels:
http://mustang.doe.state.in.us/SEARC....cfm?schl=2505

Look at the grad rates my friend.

State championships ... how many have Carmel won this year? HSE boys won the the state swimming championship this year ... the girl's basketball team was ranked 1 or 2 most of the season as was the Football team.

Come on dude ... don't trash Fishers, there's nothing to trash. IF you like Carmel so much, cool ... be proud of your town. Ours is just fine and I'm glad you enjoy our reservoir.
__________________
If there won't be dancing at the revolution, I'm not coming.
Emma Goldman
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2007, 02:47 PM
 
14 posts, read 52,710 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Come on dude ... don't trash Fishers, there's nothing to trash. IF you like Carmel so much, cool ... be proud of your town. Ours is just fine and I'm glad you enjoy our reservoir.
I am not trashing Fishers. They have good schools, clean nice city with a well educated populace. I just think Carmel has way more to offer.

Carmel wins the state championship or is a contender almost every year for:
-women's and men's swimming
-women's soccer, men's is also good
-Football

I am moving to Dalls but if I had to stay would definately move into either Carmel or Geist (if I could afford it). The only difference between the two is that Carmel feels more like a community. It is more self contained and not reliant as much on strip malls for shopping. However, the way Fishers is growing I don't think it will be too much longer before they get their own "Town Square" type develpment (they seem to be going up all across the country).

BTW, I live in Broadripple and haven't spent much time in Carmel in the past 4 years. Also, I do love the cocktail cove in the summertime
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2007, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Turn Left at Greenland
17,523 posts, read 23,549,183 times
Reputation: 7378
The folks who brought you Clay Terrace are building the same kind of mall off Exit 10 in Fishers/Noblesville ...

Sorry, you're still wrong about Fishers. HSE and FHS are still new and growing and their sports teams prove it. Carmel hasn't grown as fast in such a short period of time.

Personally, I'd rather have my property taxes go up to build new schools rather than for opera houses and theatre and expensive parks that you will still have to pay over 1K to use even as a taxpaying citizen, but that's just me.
__________________
If there won't be dancing at the revolution, I'm not coming.
Emma Goldman
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2007, 04:04 PM
 
14 posts, read 52,710 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Sorry, you're still wrong about Fishers. HSE and FHS are still new and growing and their sports teams prove it. Carmel hasn't grown as fast in such a short period of time
Carmel doesn't have as many people pouring into the city. Affordable housing and good schools will do that to a city.

Quote:
Personally, I'd rather have my property taxes go up to build new schools rather than for opera houses and theatre and expensive parks that you will still have to pay over 1K to use even as a taxpaying citizen, but that's just me.
I would rather keep my money and not have to pay excessive property taxes.

Quote:
The folks who brought you Clay Terrace are building the same kind of mall off Exit 10 in Fishers/Noblesville
Cool.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2007, 03:57 PM
 
1 posts, read 4,150 times
Reputation: 10
Hello,

I was just wondering, I have heard of the 'cocktail cove' area at geist, but I was just wondering where is exactly that is on the reservoir.

B
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2007, 05:33 AM
 
Location: Turn Left at Greenland
17,523 posts, read 23,549,183 times
Reputation: 7378
Heck, every house that sits on the reservoir is probably considered cocktail cove
__________________
If there won't be dancing at the revolution, I'm not coming.
Emma Goldman
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top