U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 12:32 PM

2,760 posts, read 5,654,585 times
Read feedmedrinkme.blogspot.com for reviews of a variety of eating places in Indy. Also food/drink/entertainment ideas. But mostly food. The blogs he lists are also great.

There are more than enough great restaurants both chain and chef owned. There are ethnic ones that you may never have heard of or tried. I love Bazbeaux, Some Guys, and Puccinnis (spelling?) Smiling Teeth pizza. Although my husband misses Chicago's great stuffed pizzas. I love breakfast out and have Original Pancake House, Scholars Inn, Taste's, Cafe Patachou, Borders and Barnes and Noble (who both sell a wicked breakfast) to enjoy and these are just a few. Again a nice blend of chain and local owner.

We have a lot of the chain stores that I used to go to Chicago or DC to see. I am waiting on IKEA however. We have Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware. We have great quilt, stitching, beading and yarn stores. We have an enormous variety of food stores with Whole Foods coming and Trader Joe plus Wild Oats already here.

We have an art film house at Keystone at the Crossing. While not as funky as the old ones we used to have, the seating is more comfortable and the patrons more ordinary.

If you need a chain store fix, they are in every corner of the city. Lots of Targets, Walmarts/Sams Club, a couple of Costcos, and every other kind you could think of. There are Indian, Mexican, Asian stores for both food and staples.

There are family neighborhoods, historic districts, downtown living, funky areas, old wealth areas, suburban living, city living. AND everything in between.

And all of it without having the lengthy congested and downright dangerous drives that I experienced in Chicago. Traffic here is nothing.

What I dont see here as much is concentrated ethnic areas. I would not be able to say here is a Polish area or here is the best street for Chinese stores. Chicago just has a bigger mass of people. It also has a longer history of neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 10:58 AM

36 posts, read 150,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
Zig'sbird
I wonder if most realtors do the family watchdog check for their home seeking clients. Bet most don't.

As a broker/owner myself, there is one reason why this is not researched for clients...we aren't allowed to without violating fair housing laws and then losing our license. In fact, 75% of the questions asked in here I/other agents cant' answer because of the same reason. Questions regarding race, "bad" neighborhoods, ethnic diversity, etc, etc.

Now, when a client asks us these things, we can give them places to research on their own, but we can't "steer" or give them recommendations ourselves. I get asked this all the time..

Craig Bartels

Old 03-19-2007, 11:41 AM

17,594 posts, read 24,523,372 times
That's why this place is so great! We'll give you the straight scoop!

Old 03-19-2007, 04:22 PM

28 posts, read 131,837 times
Default Safe Places

Indianapolis has many great neighborhoods in which to live. Do not limit yourself to the northside. Many people are too afraid of Indianapolis and dismiss it as a viable place to live. That's just not true! I have lived on Indianapolis' Eastside for four years with no trouble and I love it. I live ten minutes from Downtown which is so much fun and has so many more amenities than other areas. My Neighbors are great and my home's value jumped $20,000 in three years! My neighborhood is so friendly and quiet and we are always working to make it better. Many people have probably never even heard of these places (which is a real pitty) but here are a few real neighborhoods (not those boreing subdivisions in the burbs) to check out:

Little Flower Neighborhood
Martindale on the Monon
Chattam Arch
St. Joe
Woodruff Place
Emerson Heights
Old North Side
Cottage Homes
Lockerbie
Holy Cross
Irvington
Herron-Morton
Meridian Kessler
Broad Ripple
Butler Tarkington
Fall Creek Place
Golden Hill
Fountain Square

Here is a site that links some of the neighborhoods but also has a lot of neighborhood information:

http://www.indyscribe.com/about/about_indianapolis.html

Here is a link to a list of neighborhood organizations
http://www.inrc.org/Links/Resources.cfm?details=66 (broken link)

Old 03-19-2007, 07:25 PM

36 posts, read 150,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
That's why this place is so great! We'll give you the straight scoop!
Absolutely. In fact, I refer people to this site if they want to research things themselves!

Craig

Old 03-20-2007, 05:46 AM

Default New restaurant

As many of you know, I constantly COMPLAIN (hey, I'll admit it) about the lack of good food in this town. Well, this is going to change soon. One of my favorite restaurants in Chicago is coming to Indianapolis! The Weber Grill restaurant is a gastronomic dream come true. Hubby and I frequented there often and never ever ever ever EVER had a bad meal. Heck, I even tried ostrich there and although I didn't like ostrich itself, it wasn't because of the way it was cooked.

So anyway ... I'm getting happier now. So if any of you hear me whine about the food here, I would fully expect one or more of you to pm or post back and say "shuttup DG, get to Weber Grill and stop yer kvetching!"

Old 03-20-2007, 07:24 AM

domergurl,

I know that Indianapolis doesn't have as many great restaurants as Chicago, but there are plenty of great places to dine here. Have you tried any of the restaurants on Mass Ave? You should try R Bistro at the east end of Mass Ave or Elements or Scholar's Inn. What about Mortons Steakhouse or St. Elmos, Palomino, McCormick and Schmick's? The new Conrad has Le Soleil, and the lobby lounge and bar, Vitesse. The new Simon building has an excellent place for lunch called Cafe Patachou. Fountain Square has several great places including the Rooftop Gardens. Have you tried Dunaways located in the former Indiana Oxygen Company building at South and East Streets? One of my favorite places is The Legend in Irvington. It's a great Arts and Crafts themed restaraurnt that serves EXCELLENT comfort food. Also check out La Parada on the Eastside.

There are several great places in BroadRipple and on the Northside but I think you get the point. Have you even heard of any of these places or tried any of them?

Old 03-20-2007, 08:46 AM

OK. Sorry but I just thought of a few more places:

In Noblesville you should try the Asian Grill... It is one of the best places ever. It is an Indian Thai fusion! I can never get enough of that place. Also there is Wolfgang's at the IMA. And on South East Street try the Bosphorus Istanbul Cafe which is a really good Turkish restaurant. On Mass Ave is a great little pizza joint called Bazbeaux! Surely any one these are better than Webber Grill!

Old 03-20-2007, 09:26 AM

St. Elmo's is a national treasure. Best food ever. Palominos ... yuck, bland ... don't understand why it's still around. McCormick & Schmick's ... the Chicago restaurant is good. I've heard great things about Oceannaire, but it seems like a desitnation, rather than a place to just go have some food.

Haven't 'splored Broad Ripple much since graduate school. I'm an old fart now and am not into small cramped places.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:22 PM

So then it's not so much that there aren't good places to eat here, you just haven't taken the time to discover them yet? My concern is that when people read these posts they believe that Indianapolis is a boring lifeless place. That's just not the case. Many people only know the north side of town and are unaware of the many other great areas of our community. There is more to Indianapolis than the malls, monunments and the canal. We have a thriving downtown and growing arts community, for example. That's not to say that we can compete with Chicago, but we do have more going on here than most people know. My wife and I can find things to do to keep us busy every weekend but then again we live on the Eastside and are not afriad to go and find new things. I think it's easier for people to just say that there is nothing to do or no good place to go than it is to find them.

Also many people, including some of my friends, are scared to come downtown and to explore other great happening places in Indianapolis because of the percieved crime in the whole of Marion County. That's just people beinig uninformed. I'm sorry, just venting here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis