Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 04:18 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Holiday World is great. I can also get there in two hours coming from Indianapolis. The free drinks only adds to what is already a great park.

I would not waste any time at Kentucky Kingdom. Last time I was there, they charged to rent the inner tubes in the water park; and the water park is not even that great. They nickel and dime you for everything at Ky Kingdom. I never returned after my one and only visit there.
Besides Holiday World, it is still a much cheaper amusement park for this region. I haven't been in two years, but when I went, I never saw a charge for inner tubes? Even if there is, it is cheaper than Cedar Point, or Kings Island, which is more its competition in the Midwest (and other Six Flags parks in STL, Chicago, etc). Also, from what I hear, they did a multi million dollar renovation to the water park that makes it much better than Holiday World, etc. There is even a large kids area.

Water Park: Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 06:59 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I haven't been in two years, but when I went, I never saw a charge for inner tubes?

Water Park: Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom
Taken from the general information section of the link you provided:

TUBE RENTALS

Single tubes are available for rent.

When I went, it was something like 3 dollars to rent the freaking inner tube. Holiday World has free parking, free drinks, and better rides, IMO. I will happily drive the extra time to Holiday World every time given the choice. Actually, given the choice; I would visit Holiday World, King's Island, Cedar Point, and Six Flags STL all before I visit Ky Kingdom.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:31 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Taken from the general information section of the link you provided:

TUBE RENTALS

Single tubes are available for rent.

When I went, it was something like 3 dollars to rent the freaking inner tube. Holiday World has free parking, free drinks, and better rides, IMO. I will happily drive the extra time to Holiday World every time given the choice. Actually, given the choice; I would visit Holiday World, King's Island, Cedar Point, and Six Flags STL all before I visit Ky Kingdom.
Guess we will agree to disagree. I think Six Flags in general is more family friendly than the coaster crazy Ohio parks (dont get me wrong, Cedar Point kills them all for mega coasters). 3 bucks stinks but is trivial when you consider the savings on the coke cans. The OP wanted to know more about family friendly things, and the Six Flags in Louisville is the closest to Indy (and the cheapest city with a six flags).

Old 01-20-2009, 05:08 AM

76 posts, read 277,090 times
Cincinnati Museum Center is 80 - 110 minutes away, depending upon where in the Indy area you are located.

Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal

It is actually three museums and an OMNIMax theater in the old Union Station Terminal (an amazing old building that would be fun to walk around in and gawk at even without the museums!). Admission is VERY reasonable IMO. For about the same cost as admission to Indy's Children's Museum you get access to Cincinnati's children's museum, museum of science and natural history, and museum of Cincinnati history, as well as the OMNIMax movie.

You can also get admission to just one museum, the theater, just three museums without the theater...basically, you can decide what you want to do and only pay for what you decide to buy a ticket for.

Some of the elaborate recreations reminded me of Universal Studios. The Museum of Science and Natural History even has a mock cave to walk through that feels very much like the real thing. The Cinti Museum of History lets you explore an old steamship, then walk through an old-fashioned "town." Very neat.

In the summertime, Cinti is a great place to go for the weekend, as there's also the Cincinnati Zoo, King's Island (in Mason about 20 miles away) and the Newport Aquarium in Newport, KY (also about 20 miles away).

One of the nice things about Indy is its proximity to other cities (no, that's not a backhanded compliment!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis