Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 10:57 AM

7 posts, read 16,534 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a soon to be divorcee and I want to relocate to Indianapolis in the Fall. I'm wondering about how hard is it to find a job in Indianapolis. I've been working for the same company as a Project Manger for about 5 years but unfortunately I do not have a degree. So I'm afraid that I'll have a hard time finding a job in Indy. I'm wondering if my experience will count for anything.

Any way, just curious about job hunting in Indy. I'm fine with entry level jobs and I'm sure I'll take a huge pay cut, but that's all fine. I just need to get far away from California as possible and I've always loved visiting Indianapolis.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 08:19 PM

77 posts, read 245,073 times
FYI, I'm leaving San Diego and moving to Indy on 4/1.

If you need an ex-Cali resident to pal around with, I'm here for you. We could be our own little support system when we get depressed from the cloudy days and cold weather

Seriously though, you find that Indy is quite different from Cali, especially if you're a Cali native.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:05 AM

25 posts, read 61,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAPP View Post

If you need an ex-Cali resident to pal around with, I'm here for you. We could be our own little support system when we get depressed from the cloudy days and cold weather

Seriously though, you find that Indy is quite different from Cali, especially if you're a Cali native.
Surely different is good. AT least you get a variety with your weather in Indy compared to Cali. The people are real nice too in my experience.

Good luck to both of you anyhow

Old 03-20-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit66 View Post
Surely different is good. AT least you get a variety with your weather in Indy compared to Cali. The people are real nice too in my experience.

Good luck to both of you anyhow
Brit, I never implied that Indy isn't good, just different.

I've been living in San Diego for the past 8 years. I find most (not all) people in CA to be overly materialistic, phony and snobby. Too many high maintenance women walking around with designer clothes and Louis Vetton bags. I'm a 40-ish single guy and I cannot picture myself being with that type of woman, nor do I want to be.

I grew up in Philly and do miss the change of seasons. Cold does not bother me, but I'm not looking forward to oppressive summer heat and humidity. But that's what AC is for right?

Believe me, I'm looking forward to moving to Indy very much!

Old 03-20-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:

I actually like that it's different from Cali. I'm from the bay area and it'll be a really nice change.

I was in Indy in early January and love the snow. I'm sure I'll get over that really quicky after a few months of cold weather. I'm actually visiting Indy next week and I've been hearing it's been beautiful the last couple of weeks.

Still need to find a job! Might be too early to look if I'm moving in the fall. I just don't want to get there and be stranded.

Last edited by jsmiles83; 03-20-2009 at 01:49 PM..

Old 03-20-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Brit, I never implied that Indy isn't good, just different.

I've been living in San Diego for the past 8 years. I find most (not all) people in CA to be overly materialistic, phony and snobby. Too many high maintenance women walking around with designer clothes and Louis Vetton bags. I'm a 40-ish single guy and I cannot picture myself being with that type of woman, nor do I want to be.

I grew up in Philly and do miss the change of seasons. Cold does not bother me, but I'm not looking forward to oppressive summer heat and humidity. But that's what AC is for right?

Believe me, I'm looking forward to moving to Indy very much!
So what you are saying is that I'll be the only woman in Indy walking around in designer clothes and designer bags? JK.

I want to move now. SNIFFLE. Cali is too expensive and most of the people here are fake and into themselves. I totally don't get that vibe whenever I visit Indy.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:39 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,056,190 times
The Job Market in Indianapolis is actually pretty doing quite fine considering the economy and all. I wouldn't think the lack of a degree would really matter if you have lots of experience.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
The Job Market in Indianapolis is actually pretty doing quite fine considering the economy and all. I wouldn't think the lack of a degree would really matter if you have lots of experience.
I agree. In this bad economy, experience matters a lot more now than ever before.
Not changing jobs every 2-3 years helps you a lot too. Over the past 20 years I've only worked for 2 companies. My new boss told me he very impressed by this. He also said he was shreading resumes of new college grads that had no experience... unfortunate, but true.

I feel really bad for new college grads with anything less than a masters degree. It's tough out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis