U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,612 times

Advertisements

My husband and I purchased a "fixer-upper" about 9 years ago in WP and have absolutely no regrets. Since we have purchased our area has become historically protected (though on the National Register since 1972) and that has made this neighborhood even more desirable. Our neighborhood is a community. We watch out for each other, we help other and we enjoy each other. The "slumlords" are slowly disappearing and being replaced for the most part by younger professional couples and families who understand the vision and want to be a part of bringing the vision to reality. Our house as been here for over 100 years and I will venture to guess that it will be here as proudly for the next hundred years. Time will tell whether the "wonderful suburbia" that people have flocked to over the last 20 years in urban flight will be able to say the same thing after 100 years. Many of these neighborhoods do not look so good after 20 years - how do you think they will look in another 20? I know that I drive 7 minutes to work and 9 minutes home. A great grocery is on my way home or a quick 5 minute drive from my house and a brand new hardware store sits right across the parking lot from it. I am six minutes away from a huge mall and a huge variety (all cuisine and all prices) of eating establishments. Minutes from my door are cultural activities, theaters and concerts of every description. Yes my house will need to continue to be cared for but I enjoy the work of stewardship. Woodruff is a wonderful neighborhood and my husband and I are proud to call it home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,610 times
Default Proud to call WP my home

My partner and I moved to Indiana in 2003. We knew that we wanted an older home and preferred one that needed some love. We originally had a contract on an American Four Square in Meridian Park. It was a great neighborhood that consisted of predominantly arts & crafts period houses, which we love. We had found the perfect house until the owner decided to stay in Indy and the contract fell through. We already had a closing date for our homes in Missouri, so time was of the essence! We had driven through Woodruff Place, but for some reason, did not seriously look at any homes there. Our realtor told us of one that he had been in on an open house and suggested that we look at it. It was much smaller than the one on Delaware, but it had a good feeling when we stepped into the front door. That was just the beginning of the "goodness".

There is such a feeling of family here. We were some of the residents on the hands and knees picking up glass from the VanBrundts yard. It just is what you do when you live here. We are currently renovating, as are most of our neighbors, and are so happy to call it home. We know several of our neighbors and have developed some great friendships. We were without a shower for almost a month, and our neighbors allowed us to use their downstairs bath as our own. As long as the porch light was on, we were welcome! Where else would this happen?

We contantly discuss what we will do when our house is finished and we are ready to upgrade, but it always comes down to the fact that no matter what, we do not want to leave Woodruff. Maybe that is why we are such slow renovators!! There truly was a reason for us not getting the house in Meridian Park. I periodically drive though there, and I am so thankful that we do not live there. Woodruff was meant to be our home, and now I would not want it any other way.

Kristan Boling

Old 08-25-2010, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,754 times
Seventy (70) years ago my family moved from Chicago to some red brick duplex/triplex s that were on 10th street (I think). I am making a "Memory Quilt" and would like to include a photo of the place I first lived in Indy. I live in Florida now, have for 40+ years but think of Indy often. In getting things together for the quilt, it has brought back memories that were long buried. We lived in several other locations in Indy but WP has always brought back memories of Mother and me walking downtown and the fun times we had living there...the walks in the evenings along the "drives"...aah what good times. Does anyone know if that red brick home is still there and maybe even has a photo that they would send to me? Just reading these posts has warmed my heart! blueheavenreply@juno.com

Old 08-22-2011, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,750 times
Hello Woodruff Placers - I Googled "info on Woodruff Place" and found this forum. I see that it's a bit old from 2007 and now with it being 2011 I'm wondering if anyone can supply an updated blurb on the same things asked - how is the crime, what's the feel of the neighborhood etc. My family and I are looking in the area - live in Broad Ripple now but are looking for a larger home with still the city feel of Ripple.

Any thoughts? Thank you!

Old 08-22-2011, 10:31 AM

3,008 posts, read 4,211,965 times
Woodruff for the most part is nice and safe. It's literally 3 blocks of old victorian style homes. They have a home show and flea market every year. You wouldn't want to shop at that Kroger on 10th st though. But the marsh at lockerbie is only a 5 minute walk, 2 minute drive or so from Woodruff. They have a web site Robert W. Woodruff Foundation for more information. Halloween is also a big time in Woodruff as the kids go tick or treating.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:38 AM

8,316 posts, read 13,701,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Woodruff for the most part is nice and safe. It's literally 3 blocks of old victorian style homes. They have a home show and flea market every year. You wouldn't want to shop at that Kroger on 10th st though. But the marsh at lockerbie is only a 5 minute walk, 2 minute drive or so from Woodruff. They have a web site Robert W. Woodruff Foundation for more information. Halloween is also a big time in Woodruff as the kids go tick or treating.
Are you referring to the Linwood Square Kroger? I certainly hope not.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:45 AM

8,316 posts, read 13,701,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaTwiggz View Post
Hello Woodruff Placers - I Googled "info on Woodruff Place" and found this forum. I see that it's a bit old from 2007 and now with it being 2011 I'm wondering if anyone can supply an updated blurb on the same things asked - how is the crime, what's the feel of the neighborhood etc. My family and I are looking in the area - live in Broad Ripple now but are looking for a larger home with still the city feel of Ripple.

Any thoughts? Thank you!
I do not live in Woodruff Place, I live about a mile and a half east in Englewood. It really is a lovely little neighborhood. I wouldn't say it feels like Broad Ripple, Woodruff is a pretty quiet area. I have walked my dog through there, the neighbors I have seen out are all very friendly. They maintain the fountains in the neighborhood themselves, as the city stopped doing that. It is a good group of folks. The neighborhood to the east is undergoing a re-development, St. Clair Place.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Are you referring to the Linwood Square Kroger? I certainly hope not.
No not Linwood, haven't been out there in a while. It used to be a nice Kroger when I lived in Holy Cross but haven't been there in a bit. There used to be a Kroger right on 10th Street across the street from Middle Drive. Reading up, it looks like they closed it as I only go down Michigan and not actually down 10th. It was a craphole of a store with very low quality meats (not uncommon for inner-city neighborhoods)

Old 08-22-2011, 04:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,750 times
Thank you so much for all the feedback. We are going to explore further - have 3 children so we wanted to make sure they could play out in the yard, sidewalk etc. without too much going on and too much traffic flying by (which happens down our street all the time). We currently live close enough to Broad Ripple to walk which is nice, but don't feel comfortable letting the children play in the front yard due to traffic, etc. Love the look and feel of Woodruff.

Thanks again!

Old 08-22-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaTwiggz View Post
Thank you so much for all the feedback. We are going to explore further - have 3 children so we wanted to make sure they could play out in the yard, sidewalk etc. without too much going on and too much traffic flying by (which happens down our street all the time). We currently live close enough to Broad Ripple to walk which is nice, but don't feel comfortable letting the children play in the front yard due to traffic, etc. Love the look and feel of Woodruff.

Thanks again!
Well can tell u cars won't be flying by, streets are narrow with huge speed bumps at both the 10th St and Michigan St entrances and each drive has two roundabouts. Children playing just make sure you do like you do now, even in the burbs you have to watch your kids because crazies are out everywhere trying to snatch kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis