Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 6,374 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to Indy over the summer. We have 2 elementary aged boys that are very active in sports right now. We are looking for housing in an area that has outdooor activities, housing in the 250-350k range for 5+ bedrooms and excelllent schools. I would prefer to be withing walking or a short drive to school. I don't want them spending 45 minutes on a bus.

I want an area where the kids play out in the neighboorhoods, neighbors actually know each others names and socialize. I will be working just south of Zionsville but I've been given the names of the towns above and looking for some comparisons. What are some major differences? Schools? Taxes? Housing? Traffic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 02:04 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,896 times
I live in Avon, and work in Hendricks County, and love it here!!
I am running out the door right now, but I'll get you a thorough answer later this evening.
In the meantime, you can check out this website for school stats: GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Old 04-26-2009, 07:42 PM

77 posts, read 245,104 times
Wow... lots of Cali to Indy moves on this forum over the past 2 months.

I recently moved from San Diego at the beginning of April and so far I like it. I'm single so I don't have any kids or family to worry about.

I'm still living in a corporate apartment near Metropolis in Plainfield. I have to start seriously looking for permanant apartment this week. I'll prob stay in Plainfield... the work commute on Rt40 is such a breeze.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:45 PM

102 posts, read 413,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS4042 View Post
We will be relocating to Indy over the summer. We have 2 elementary aged boys that are very active in sports right now. We are looking for housing in an area that has outdooor activities, housing in the 250-350k range for 5+ bedrooms and excelllent schools. I would prefer to be withing walking or a short drive to school. I don't want them spending 45 minutes on a bus.

I want an area where the kids play out in the neighboorhoods, neighbors actually know each others names and socialize. I will be working just south of Zionsville but I've been given the names of the towns above and looking for some comparisons. What are some major differences? Schools? Taxes? Housing? Traffic?

There are some major differences: I just bulletize---

◘ Northside~ Zionsville Carmel and Fishers
◘ West/SW side ~ Brownsburg / Avon
◘ Traffic~ is the worst in Fishers
◘ The best in Z'ville and Avon
◘ Carmel by far has the HUGEST SCHOOL and the most upscale area.
◘ Z'ville has a really nice cosey coblestone street.
All these scholl are inthe same sports conference and play each other in every sport. (except Carmel which plays other HUGE schools)
All towns take their sports VERY seriously!!!
◘ Taxes may be a moot point as INDy is attempting to go to a 1% tax by 2010. I believe -
◘ Small town feel in B'burg and Z'ville and Avon (which is close to another great small town Plainfeild...which has miles of public walking and bike trails all over)
◘ ALL the scholls are GREAT in there own way-
Avon most notably has the number #1 Band in Indiana, and the Country!
so they take there Music seriously, as do most other schools too.
◘ Housing → most expensive in Carmel/Z,ville then Fishers Avon and B'burg.
Looked in every town last year. you can find that price range in Every town...and higher...or lower..

I could randomly ramble for ever...so I'll leave you with that start--

I think either way you cant go wrong...they're all very neat on there own way.

Make a visit and drive with a realtor (like MikiJayne )

Good Luck

Old 05-21-2009, 06:12 PM

6 posts, read 26,456 times
Just another thought:
If you don't mind driving to work, you might want to check out the Avalon neighborhoods by Pulte and Beazer. They're both in Fishers and are super close to the great Hamilton Southeastern schools.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:14 AM

891 posts, read 2,450,102 times
I live in Carmel, but I am also very familar with Zionsville and Fishers and somewhat with Brownsburg and Avon.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those areas. Brownsburg at least right now is still more off the beaten path - more of a small town - but then I would assume the housing prices might be less - I don't know.

I could discuss difference all day - but if I were you I would decide how important it is to be near to work and go from there - Zionsville is great, great schools, great people - cannot go wrong there. I think you should worry less about which suburb and more about which subdivision, neighborhood and house works best for you.

I think being close to work is a great asset - so I guess I would look in Zionsville and west carmel if I were youat least to start

Old 05-22-2009, 02:34 PM

295 posts, read 949,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS4042 View Post
housing in the 250-350k range for 5+ bedrooms and excelllent schools.
yeah, I have a hard time thinking you'll find a 5+ bedroom home in that range. I think your low end would probably have to be 350k at least for Carmel/Zionsville. Fishers and Avon may be more affordable but still, you may need to adjust based on your needs.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:31 PM

14 posts, read 48,228 times
Default Welcome to IN!

First let me preface this by saying that comparing Indiana to Califorinia is very extreme. What WE think is high crime, high traffic, expensive is really not easily compared to California. For example, you may find Indianapolis a very affordable, laid back, slow paced area to live compared to your world. But some people think Indy is the "Big City" compared to these suberbs you mention.

I lived all over this area. Lived in Fishers for 6 years. It's a great place for families and has the most affordable housing of those areas. You have everything you need so close by your home. It's great if you stay home. But traffic is definately not good, going in and out of Fishers. If it were me, while it is very lovely and has a lot of homes in that range, the traffic congestion to Zionsville, would just wear me down. But if I compared this to Los Angellos or Atlanta, I would be just fine!

Currently, I live on the west side of Carmel off of Michigan road, which is right up against Zionsville. I love it! But great homes in that range are not that abundant. But look and see what you can find. You may also want to consider Westfield, IN, which is North of 146th, St. (The taxes here were a little bit highter 10 years ago, but I'm sure this is much better now).

Schools are great in all of them, Zionsville has the best schooling. (It is noted for it). Zionsville, does not allow alot of development in. I like Zionsville. THere is not a lot of amenities like shopping. It has areas of wealth, and then extreme wealth, but there are affordable areas. THey just don't have a lot of availability. It is charming, but it is still very close to stuff you need. You could live in a more rural area like Whitestown, if you like a more rural, nothing around feel. (Not as diverse, or amenities here).

Carmel is more "upscale" in some ways, but that doesn't mean it is unfriendly. Carmel has an east ans west side to it. It has the monon trail through it, the arts center, and new city center being built. It is growing. I love living here. I have the best of both worlds. I have Carmel and Zionsville and so close to Westfield too.

All those choices, including Westfield are good ones. THere are pockets of good and not as good, and expensive, and not as expensive in all towns. THere are a lot of homes for rent and new town homes in the area if you want to stay on a temporary basis until you figure it all out.

I imagine coming from California, you will be pleasantly surprised to the level of home you can afford comparatively. Use your sale of your CA home to pay off completely if possible, the entire new home in IN.

Crime is very low in all. (Violent crime). THere are great parks, shopping, housing, activities. THey all have festivals and farmer's markets in teh summer. THey all have a sense of community. They all have lots of churches and support groups. Zionsville is not close to a major hospital, like the others, but it is not isolated either. THere are resteraunts and bars and public parks and recreation facilitites.

I would suggest going to the visitor's center website for Hamilton County, IN and Boone County, IN and asking for a relocation package. (The url will be blocked if I insert it). Just Google Hamilton County, IN, or visitor's center. Good luck!

Old 06-23-2009, 12:34 PM

14 posts, read 48,228 times
Default Housing website

Oh, and Mibor is a free website to look for homes.
[url=http://www.mibor.com]MIBOR | Metropolitan Indianapolis Board of REALTORS®[/url]

Search by county, price. etc.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:38 AM

39 posts, read 57,839 times
Which area u ultimately preferred?I am going thru same dilemma as yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis