U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 11:49 AM

630 posts, read 1,792,110 times
We have two different strong Real Estate Investing groups here. I'm working on getting started but business is good for those that are already in. Just be aware that appreciation is not climbing like it was in other places. Our growth is slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 09:13 AM

28 posts, read 129,147 times
Default Flip

My neighborhood (North and West of 10th and Emerson) has seen a steady increase in home values compared to other areas. I too am just getting started in rehab and bought a house a few doors down from my own. One thing that I always think to look for are where other people are investing. If others are expecting a return in an area then itís probably less risky. There are a good number of flips in my neighborhood and a lot of people are springing upgrades and repairs Ė another good sign. Also, in the three years there I have seen a lot more young people around.

If you are interested, I know of a single-family rental property on my block that is going up for sale in a few weeks. I could put you in contact with the owner before he puts it on the market and you may get a better deal. I have never seen the inside, but the exterior isnít bad. My block is always really quiet and well kempt. We see people walking dogs, kids playing young people jogging. We would like to see that property return to an owner occupied residence. The cool thing is that there are two other properties being renovated on my block. A third one would create some real momentum and look really attractive to buyers.

I think that there is a way to IM me your contact info if you are interested.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:58 AM

17,523 posts, read 23,544,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liger View Post
I think that there is a way to IM me your contact info if you are interested.
Look on the upper right hand corner of the page ... see the link highlighted in blue "private messages"? Send any personal info there.

Danke

Old 04-18-2007, 10:30 AM

19 posts, read 54,532 times
Default Flipping Properties in Indy

Any more advice?

Old 05-01-2007, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,156 times
Default flipping houses in indy

Hello,

Yes, it is a great business to start in Indy. I can help you make some money. Please contact me.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:36 PM

53 posts, read 250,671 times
I've talked to others here about flipping, it's a tough gig because there's soooo many cheap houses. Why would I buy yours when I can go down the street, etc. You can buy a liveable house in a sort-of ok 'hood here for $22,000. So the upside here is minimal IMO. If you can stomach being a landlord you could do ok maybe.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:51 AM

2,651 posts, read 5,346,691 times
Where can you buy a "liveable" house for $22,000? That was what we paid in 1977 at 53rd and Ralston. Which is now over $100,000.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:01 AM

79 posts, read 326,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Where can you buy a "liveable" house for $22,000? That was what we paid in 1977 at 53rd and Ralston. Which is now over $100,000.
Fountain Square! I'm addicted to the house flipping shows on A&E/HGTV.. I've considered starting to do it after I sell the house I'm in.. if I get what I want out of it. I would concentrate on Fountain Square, Holy Cross and Irivington areas. These neighborhoods deserve to be beautiful again.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:47 PM

53 posts, read 250,671 times
21,900 - probably needs a little work but this is not that much of an unsafe area.

F. C. Tucker Property Detail (broken link)

Here's one at 27k

F. C. Tucker Property Detail (broken link)

I own neither. Sorry if the url's are ugly !

Old 06-25-2007, 05:24 PM

7 posts, read 27,347 times
Default I wanted to wish you luck

I wanted to say good luck to you! Flipping houses is my idea of a dream job, but I am young and have no money to speak of right now, I am just a couple of years out of college and I rent the house I live in, but I think I might buy it if I still like the area at the end of the year. My advice is to also look around the neighborhoods just outside of the downtown area. There are two really ugly houses on either side of my house (yuck!) but a guy who flips said that my area was one he was focusing on(he was walking the neighborhood, stopped to talk to me). I live near Shapiro's Deli downtown, and while I would not call it a "nice" area compared to places like Broad Ripple, it has a lot of older homes that I can see the potential in. Of course I just love houses and I can see beauty in most of them. I think the near south side of downtown has been overlooked a lot, but with the stadium coming in and all the growth it will bring, I am hoping that the area sees a lot of renovations in the future. I ride my bike around my area and there are some really amazing looking houses just a few doors down from some boarded up empty homes. Also I think in Oct the city is having a tax sale on abandoned homes, the list is coming out in Sept. Might be worth looking into. The starting price at the auction will be the taxes owed on the property.

Again good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis