U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:45 AM

19 posts, read 58,168 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My friends and I have started an LLC to buy properties and fix them up for sale in the Indy area. We haven't purchased a home yet, but looking mostly into HUDs and Bank Owned.

Does anybody have any insight to the market for these activities in Indy? Any good areas? We are not looking to make tons and tons of money, just $10,000 (minimum) per flip and over time build up capital. We are looking for houses in the $80K-$100K range.

What experiences do you have? I understand that this isn't the hottest area for this, but it's where we are starting regardless. Any insight to your experiences would be interesting and valuable.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 12:36 PM

8 posts, read 32,499 times
Hello,
Sorry I couldn't help you on this topic, but I wanted to wish you the best of luck. My wife and I are relocating to Indiana soon and plan on doing the same type of thing.

Best,
Don

Old 04-03-2007, 01:46 PM

Good luck to you, too!

One great thing about Indy: the price of homes are cheap. So, you can have many rentals if you can't sell the home. The foreclosure rate in Indy is astronomical, so the rental market should rise.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:23 PM

2,152 posts, read 7,188,885 times
everthing I read about the Indy rental market shows a very soft market due to an over-supply situation.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:05 AM

2,808 posts, read 5,914,304 times
I would consider walking a bunch of areas to see how the neighbors take care of their properties. The east side has a bad rep but from block to block there are huge differences. Also near east and those areas in and around Irvington are massively different.

Consider the schools and townships since you will get better $$ with a better school.

Stay away from the vinyl villages, but you already know that. What you are looking for is distinctive that needs renovation. Irvington should be ripe. Check out the different community development groups. There are some very active ones here that are also developing properties and may have info or at least send you to upgrading neighborhoods.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
everthing I read about the Indy rental market shows a very soft market due to an over-supply situation.
Yes, I've noticed that too. That's why we are looking very carefully for underpriced homes in good areas.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
I would consider walking a bunch of areas to see how the neighbors take care of their properties. The east side has a bad rep but from block to block there are huge differences. Also near east and those areas in and around Irvington are massively different.

Consider the schools and townships since you will get better $$ with a better school.

Stay away from the vinyl villages, but you already know that. What you are looking for is distinctive that needs renovation. Irvington should be ripe. Check out the different community development groups. There are some very active ones here that are also developing properties and may have info or at least send you to upgrading neighborhoods.

I agree. We are looking at a bank owned home right now that is distinctive and older. It will need a good amount of work, but the area seems very nice with kept up houses and yards. Hopefully, we can get started soon!

Do you flip houses in Indy? Do you have any advice to a "first time flipper" in Indy?

Old 04-04-2007, 03:00 PM

2,808 posts, read 5,914,304 times
Lord no. While I can appreciate the work, been there and done that. I am the one right now who wants to buy a fully renovated home where someone else, preferably the homeowner, has done all the hard work. The waiting for the contractors, dealing with problems, etc. is not something I want to waste my time on.

All I want to do is write the check.

There is a lot of risk out there and I want to sleep at night peacefully.

Once my hubby saw the TV program where the couple found the asbestos and ended up with only the studs left, it was never going to be for him either.

We sold our Chambers stove to a young man who is doing some renovations and then renting out houses in South Broadripple. I forgot to mention south Broadripple, but I dont think there will be many HUD or otherwise foreclosed on homes. You get the area of both Broad Ripple and Meridian Kessler near the houses.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:43 AM

South Broadripple would be a great area, but I think its way out of our price range at this early point in this venture. If we can have success in flipping a couple houses and build up some capital, I would love to invest in the area for rentals or potential flips. That is a great area. And close to Butler, nightlife, and resturants.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:12 AM

Any more news on this topic? Would love more advice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis