Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 12:31 PM

64 posts, read 208,233 times

Advertisements

Our son and his wife are in the process of buying their first home near the outer Indy/Avon area. The home is new and the inspector did a radon test that came back 12.2 We live in NC were it's not as common so we are very unsure about this. If you do have a reputable company come in and "fix" it, is it really fixed?? and will it be able to be fixed forever so we dont' have to worry about future grandchildren in the home etc? It does have a basement and that is where the test was performed. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 01:46 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,533 times
Hi! Radon gas comes through the ground and into the home through the basement or sometimes the slab. For some reason, the levels are higher here in IN than in other areas of the country. Homes with basements are more susceptible to this problem, and homes that have been closed up for a long time. A radon mitigation system will help circulate the air from the basement and is really all they would need to have done. From what I've been told, it is really just a large PVC pipe with a fan in it, that sucks the air from the basement and pushes it outside. I would advise a buyer to get that done (possibly ask the seller to have it done) and then have the radon levels tested every few years to be sure.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:07 PM

163 posts, read 659,761 times
Radon is common, but that is a high reading.

They bore a hole into the slap of the basement, (usually only an issue in homes with basements). A 4" pvc pipe with a fan is put in the bore, draws air from under the slab and vents it outside. Runs continuously to keep the level down. Unless the system goes down, should remediate the problem.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:52 PM

68 posts, read 359,088 times
Agreed with everyone. It's not a big deal at all if you get the machine. You'd be silly not to ask the seller to pay for this, unless you've already closed on the deal.

The machine is very quiet. I'm surprised you didn't run into this in NC. My folks had a place in Blowing Rock with a radon problem--they got the same machine. Most people in that town had the same issue.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:31 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,377,898 times
we purchased a home last August (thanks, MikiJayne!) that had an initial reading of 9+. Because the home was relatively new (built in 2003) the builder had placed a radon removal "stack" or pipe in the house.

As a result, it was a relatively simple matter for our radon remediation supplier to install the connection to our sump and install the fan in the attic.

The test results after the system was set up was under 2 (I believe anything above 4 is considered unacceptable.)

I highly recommend Radon Technology (574.1854 - Tim) in Carmel. He was very thorough, spent plenty of time reviewing what was necessary to install the system, and responded quickly to our inquiries.

RM

Old 05-05-2009, 10:09 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,533 times
Good to see you, RM! I'd love to stop by sometime and see all you've done to the house!

Old 05-05-2009, 03:06 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,152,933 times
Wow!! A 12.2. You definitely need a radon remediation system installed and everything will be just fine.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:05 PM

64 posts, read 208,233 times
Thank you all so much! We are definitely feeling so much better about this. I passed the info about Radon Technology on to my daughter in law and she is calling them to set up an appt. And, I am going to look into having our home here in Charlotte checked too just in case! lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis