U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 01:03 AM

17 posts, read 85,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
When were you at #77? I attended PS 77 for 5th grade (1966) and the beginning of 6th grade (1967) .....

And yes, I also remember the MCL Cafeteria. My grandparents took me there every Sunday after church. (I'm still a member of the "clean plate club" ..... )

During one trip to the Zoo, I saw Janie (of "Popeye & Janie" fame), who was doing a live broadcast, but I was too shy to go meet her.

Here's a stretch -- I remember visiting a small amusement park a couple times, but have no idea where it was or what it was called. This would have been circa 1965. Does anyone know the place?
The only amusement park I can think of at that time might have been the one that used to be at Riverside. I think it even had a small rollercoaster.

I was at #77 for 3rd-6th grade 1969-1973.

I remember hearing about Janie's house burning down. Also remember seeing her on TV very pregnant; her usual maternity wear was a maxi dress, sometimes a maxi "blazer" pantsuit, I think. I believe she had four kids. Is she still living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 01:49 PM

11,151 posts, read 13,792,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeppity View Post
The only amusement park I can think of at that time might have been the one that used to be at Riverside. I think it even had a small rollercoaster.
I think that's it and, yes, it did have a small rollercoaster.

Quote:
I was at #77 for 3rd-6th grade 1969-1973.
Missed you by a couple years, then .....

Quote:
I remember hearing about Janie's house burning down. Also remember seeing her on TV very pregnant; her usual maternity wear was a maxi dress, sometimes a maxi "blazer" pantsuit, I think. I believe she had four kids. Is she still living?
I don't remember that, but I moved out of Indianapolis in November of 1967, and my 40+ year old memories of the city aren't that clear anymore. (LOL)

Old 07-18-2009, 02:20 PM
rec

42 posts, read 80,638 times
The drive-in on Shadeland between 30th and 38th streets was Jack-n-Jill.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:33 PM

2 posts, read 12,511 times
I attended kindergarten at PS#77 in 1965- I believe Mrs. Donahue was the teacher. Lots of great sledding on that hill next to the school and at Pleasant Run golf course. A produce truck made rounds in my neighborhood (Kitley & Lowell). Charles Chips delivered potato chips and pretzels to the door...

Old 04-01-2010, 09:15 PM

780 posts, read 1,306,578 times
Riverside amusement park on west 30th st.

Tee Pee at the Fairgrounds

Popeye and Janie along with Cowboy Bob (did they ever hook-up? )

Bob Catterson Buick......Noooooooobody!!!

Going downtown at Christmas to L.S. Ayres to look at the cherub on the clock and marvel at the animation in the windows

Checking out the Pacers at the Fairgrounds Coliseum

Single class basketball sectionals at Hinkle Fieldhouse

10 cent White Castles...by 'em by the bag.

Pendleton Pike drive-in

Youth basketball at Tabernacle Presbyterian Church

Shopping at Ayr-Way and Zayre

Sammy Terry scaring the heck out us on TV

Hook's drug store employees going on strike in the mid-70's

The blizzard of '78

Ft. Ben was full of military personnel and you had to so through security to get on base

Indianapolis Star paper routes in the morning...Indianapolis News paper routes in the evening.

When Martin Luther King, Jr. was shot, Robert Kennedy was campaigning in Indianapolis. I remember his entourage traveling down N. Illinois and stopping at Tarkington Park at 40th St. He walked through the crowd and shook hands.....I reached out my hand and he shook it. I remember telling my dad that his hand felt like puffed cotton. I was a kid and did not realize that this was a historical event.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:32 AM

17,698 posts, read 34,856,102 times
I have no idea who Cowboy Bob is/was ... but it was a big hairy deal down here in Columbus a few days ago because he made an appearance at our library.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:11 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,147,718 times
There was also a drug store right on corner of 38th and Meridian that had a place to eat that had some sort of danish at breakfast that was cooked on grill.

I use to eat at lunch here. I was the mailman. Fast Eddie was a true artist.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:47 AM

990 posts, read 1,476,404 times
Anyone remember Kiddieland at the Eastgate mall?Shaws drugstore at Post and 10th?
Here's one -who remembers the little carts the mailmen drove around -I think they had a canvas cover and maybe only one wheel up front(3 wheeler)? Popeye and Janie? Pizza Barn at Washington and Post(before that it was a root beer stand) with a Blue and White Truck stop across the street. Ayr-Way. Miramar swimming pool on east Washington St-National Drive In east Washington

Old 04-07-2010, 02:25 PM

340 posts, read 1,273,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmomma30 View Post
Market Square Arena.. where I got to see my first concert, John Cougar Mellencamp.

My first as well! I believe Scarecrow tour c. 1985-ish

Old 04-07-2010, 02:44 PM

340 posts, read 1,273,595 times
Here's a few random memories . . .

Cafe Espresso and Game Preserve in Broad Ripple
The galleria in Glendale mall
Gizmo's games
Brunch at Keystone Grill, oh how it is missed
The New Orleans House
Pacers at the Coliseum
Drive-In on Lafayette Rd across from the mall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis