Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 8,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire1916 View Post
The root beer stand is/was Frosty Top. The original North Eastway Golf Course run by Indianapolis Parks & Recreation is now called Sahm and is at 6800 East 91st Street. It was designed by Pete Dye. There was also a Walt's Grocery Store at North Emerson Avenue & East 16th Street back in the day, near the Shi-Kay Lounge and catercorner from Preston's Market, which was bought by Safeway back in the day (Preston's, not Walt's).
The root beer stand at Post & Washington was called the Frost Top, and has been gone since the 60's.
The 'North Eastway' that I was curious about was in the 38th & Franklin area, also in the 60's, and also long-gone. It had a swimming pool, and occasional teen dances with local radio personalities. Not to be confused with the North Eastwood Lounge, at 38th & Post. I may have the incorrect name for the pool site, but, if so, it's similar to that.
There was an eastside Walt's & Moore's grocery, too. One was a few blocks west of Washington & Post, and the other was near 10th & Post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 03:40 PM

44 posts, read 258,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1954gary View Post
The root beer stand at Post & Washington was called the Frost Top, and has been gone since the 60's.
The 'North Eastway' that I was curious about was in the 38th & Franklin area, also in the 60's, and also long-gone. It had a swimming pool, and occasional teen dances with local radio personalities. Not to be confused with the North Eastwood Lounge, at 38th & Post. I may have the incorrect name for the pool site, but, if so, it's similar to that.
There was an eastside Walt's & Moore's grocery, too. One was a few blocks west of Washington & Post, and the other was near 10th & Post.

Well, that explains it. I was talking of a different root beer stand on the far northside.

There were several Walt's grocery stores at one time. I remember my mother loved the price wars Walt's and Preston's would occasionally have in their respective locations at 16th and Emerson.

Maybe Walmart can answer your question about the park at 38th and Franklin.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:23 PM

3 posts, read 13,307 times
Quote:
i remember all those places, and grew up in that neighborhood. could you or someone possibly expand on the north eastway pool & golf course? i'd been trying to find out information on the pool that was near franklin & 38th street, and it had a name similar to that.
also, i wondered if anyone may remember when the nationally-known teen band, the Astronauts, played at Eastgate near their kiddyland area, on the north end of the property. this would've been around 1966?
and: a couple other places in the neighborhood you mentioned: the peter pan diner, and the frost stop (frosttop?) root beer stand/drive-in across the street.
The pool at 38th and Franklin was Towneast Swimming pool! Wow, what fun I had there. I grew up on the east side and grew up in that neighborhood. I miss the good old days!

Old 10-12-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
The pool was calle Towneast swimming pool!

Old 10-12-2014, 05:29 PM

The pool was called Towneast Swimming pool

Old 10-28-2014, 08:41 PM

3 posts, read 7,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Trooper View Post
This thread is for those who have lived in the Indianapolis area for some time now or just have memories of a place or places that no longer exist. This thread might be interesting for some of the newer residents who have no clue what used to be here in Indianapolis. Whether this place was a beloved jewel or possibly just something you can't find anymore

I can still remember the steep stairs at Markest Square Arena, The Hoosier Dome, the drive in movie theater on Crawfordsville Road, Watching the airplanes take off at the "Airpark" off Hanna Road. I'm sure their is others but I can't think of them now.

Anyone want to take it away.....
Blue Ribbon Restaurant E 10th
Virginia Grill E Wash St
Tacoma Theater Where El Sol was
Morris Plan Melrose 11 - 3 - 11
Govco discount store on Shadeland at 34th
Emro sporting goods E Wash St
Rollerland N Penn downtown. Marquee remains
Italian Gardens on Pendleton Pike
Thomas Market E New York St across from the DQ
Weiss Deli on the circle
Sacred Heart High School

Old 10-30-2014, 11:35 AM

87 posts, read 163,969 times
Okay this has nothing to do with an actual location or place but rather an activity. And I wonder if anyone else remembers this. And it would be interesting if other cities experienced this (you would think that they would). I remember being asked by someone in my circle of friends around the early 1970s here in Indy "Hey, have you heard of the Beep Line?"

It was a particular seven digit phone number that you would call. And instead of a ring or a person answering - you would just hear this slightly slow repeating beep. Sometimes the beeps would be of very low volume and you could hear other people talking to each other (or to anyone) - so multiple people could be on at once speaking or listening. A lot of people used it to pick up girls (or guys) - not literally, but guys will yell "What's your phone number?" to see if a girl listening on the line would respond with their numbers -
and that did happen often - and they would get off the phone and call each other directly.

I did get on there a couple times - but like anything else - life goes on, you don't hear anyone talk about it anymore - and it just fades away or comes to an end.

Perhaps there were more than one of these?

Supposedly the weather phone number back then (remember 222-2222 ?) turned into a beep line for a period of time - after you would hear the weather message, the beeps would occur instead of just going to a dial tone.

Last edited by maxwell2323; 10-30-2014 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-31-2014, 08:37 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
Here is a reference to "beep lines" from that time period:

The Beep-Beep Line- The Jam Line – Busy Signal Chats | Vintage Rotary Phones

RM

Old 11-01-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan48 View Post
Blue Ribbon Restaurant E 10th
Virginia Grill E Wash St
Tacoma Theater Where El Sol was
Morris Plan Melrose 11 - 3 - 11
Govco discount store on Shadeland at 34th
Emro sporting goods E Wash St
Rollerland N Penn downtown. Marquee remains
Italian Gardens on Pendleton Pike
Thomas Market E New York St across from the DQ
Weiss Deli on the circle
Sacred Heart High School

I remember Govco, Emro, Italian Gardens, and Weiss Deli. I also remember Sacred Heart High School, which became John F. Kennedy Memorial High School after President Kennedy was assassinated, then merged with Bishop Chartrand High School to become Roncalli High School (named after the birth name of Saint Pope John XXIII, Angelo Giuseppe Roncalli). Is Roncalli still called that after the recent canonization of its namesake?

Old 11-01-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell2323 View Post
Okay this has nothing to do with an actual location or place but rather an activity. And I wonder if anyone else remembers this. And it would be interesting if other cities experienced this (you would think that they would). I remember being asked by someone in my circle of friends around the early 1970s here in Indy "Hey, have you heard of the Beep Line?"

It was a particular seven digit phone number that you would call. And instead of a ring or a person answering - you would just hear this slightly slow repeating beep. Sometimes the beeps would be of very low volume and you could hear other people talking to each other (or to anyone) - so multiple people could be on at once speaking or listening. A lot of people used it to pick up girls (or guys) - not literally, but guys will yell "What's your phone number?" to see if a girl listening on the line would respond with their numbers -
and that did happen often - and they would get off the phone and call each other directly.

I did get on there a couple times - but like anything else - life goes on, you don't hear anyone talk about it anymore - and it just fades away or comes to an end.

Perhaps there were more than one of these?

Supposedly the weather phone number back then (remember 222-2222 ?) turned into a beep line for a period of time - after you would hear the weather message, the beeps would occur instead of just going to a dial tone.

Oh, man, I'd forgotten about beep lines, but I do remember them now. The things we kids did for fun back in the day. Hahaha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis