U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 04:33 AM

3,680 posts, read 9,407,279 times

Advertisements

There will always be urban, suburban and country (I dont want to see anyone) people. We all have our own reasons for what we choose and none are wrong. I hated suburban living and having to get in a car to do anything. Was hit by others three times. Did not like the lack of any diversity in the huge neighborhood area we were in. Husband disliked his 30+ minute commute.

We bought a house that was 5 blocks from my office and a 1.5 mile walk to his. Never had to drink and drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 11:04 AM

892 posts, read 1,344,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
There will always be urban, suburban and country (I dont want to see anyone) people. We all have our own reasons for what we choose and none are wrong. I hated suburban living and having to get in a car to do anything. Was hit by others three times. Did not like the lack of any diversity in the huge neighborhood area we were in. Husband disliked his 30+ minute commute.

We bought a house that was 5 blocks from my office and a 1.5 mile walk to his. Never had to drink and drive.
That's why I like living in the city. No need to use the car on a daily basis, can always go for a few adult beverages and not worry about having to drive, amenities at your door step, etc..

And many people scoff at having to pay premium for living at such a place - but don't we all somehow spend money to help us live the lifestyle that we want to live in a place that we prefer to live ? Otherwise, what good is money in general ?

Old 02-14-2019, 04:36 PM

251 posts, read 161,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
...put my stuff in the trunk instead of carrying it, and head home to a house and garden.
Serious question (not meant to be snarky in the least)... and sheerbliss touches on it above...

How do you grocery shop and manage to carry home your purchases? Years ago, when I was much younger and super fit, I decided to walk to the grocery store to get a few items for a recipe I wanted to try. I knew the walk would be no problem for me stamina-wise, and I knew how long it would take me. The thing I didn't realize was how heavy my purchases were to carry home. It was just a couple of handled plastic bags, but a few of the items, while not large in size, weren't especially light. I've never attempted such a thing again, and even though I currently live "within walking distance to shops" as we so often hear on those HGTV house-hunting shows, I still need my car & trunk to haul my purchases home. What do people without a car actually do?

Old 02-14-2019, 05:22 PM

A 65+ year old resident did not have a car and just used a rolling cart to bring her groceries home, including cat litter. All year long. A backpack or rolling duffel are also good carriers.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:35 PM

892 posts, read 1,344,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
Serious question (not meant to be snarky in the least)... and sheerbliss touches on it above...

How do you grocery shop and manage to carry home your purchases? Years ago, when I was much younger and super fit, I decided to walk to the grocery store to get a few items for a recipe I wanted to try. I knew the walk would be no problem for me stamina-wise, and I knew how long it would take me. The thing I didn't realize was how heavy my purchases were to carry home. It was just a couple of handled plastic bags, but a few of the items, while not large in size, weren't especially light. I've never attempted such a thing again, and even though I currently live "within walking distance to shops" as we so often hear on those HGTV house-hunting shows, I still need my car & trunk to haul my purchases home. What do people without a car actually do?
If I'm buying something super large/heavy, I bring my car. But that's exception rather than a general rule.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:24 PM

916 posts, read 449,820 times
I think people probably go grocery shopping more often if they live downtown. I go shopping once a week and bring home three to four bags of groceries. I also buy a few months' worth of beef and pork at a time from a local farm that has a $100 minimum order; it's a fraction of the price that the local charcuterie charges for the same stuff from the same farm. There's no way I could carry that home.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:11 AM

Wish we had the transport system that Lyon, France does. We saw two young men carry a huge upholstered chair and another young man with them carry an almost 4 X 8 sheet of wood on the tram.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:24 AM

17 posts, read 2,524 times
Downtown any major metro is pricy.im almost certain you're paying for the location and that's key to any city

Old 02-17-2019, 11:30 AM

17 posts, read 2,524 times
disingenuous at best was your comment about comparing indy to Chicago. the point is if it takes 25min to get downtown indy from fishers then that's an hour round trip 5 days a week 4 times a month and that adds up no matter what city you're in. for the record indy is larger in square miles than Chicago if you want to be technical.

Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM

610 posts, read 721,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I think people probably go grocery shopping more often if they live downtown. I go shopping once a week and bring home three to four bags of groceries. I also buy a few months' worth of beef and pork at a time from a local farm that has a $100 minimum order; it's a fraction of the price that the local charcuterie charges for the same stuff from the same farm. There's no way I could carry that home.
Do you have a farm preference or test different farms? I'd like to do that, I have so much room in my deep freezer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis