U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,060 times

Advertisements

Some of the views in this forum seem to be by the builder's own agents praising too much of Ryland Homes.
No doubt Ryland has many good looking outside designs. The good thing about them was that they were on time in building the home.

We were shopping in the area builders in Fishers, and trapped into Ryland's "quality" trap thinking they provide better quality as their comparable home is approx. 40-50 thousand expensive than their competitors.

You'll be surprized if I tell you they no better than any cheap builder. The sidings started meted from one side. They said it was because of the neighbor's windows reflection, not because of low quality materials. The outside color was entirely different than what we asked them. The water stoppers in the sink (look like made of stainless steel) have lost their crome. The garage door have been attempted many times to fix but still we need to standby it otherwise it opens back when half way through. They seeded the backyard AFTER the closing, when the weather was already freezing, saying if the grass didn't come properly they will re-seed it in spring, and also put more dirt to grade the yard.In spring, they responded they won't do it as they do it only once which has already been done.

The upgraded granite counter tops in bathrooms (for which we paid a lot of money) get water stains right after you use them. Ryland's supervisor (Cameron???) visited to see, and said he was but he cannot do anything about it.
The arch above the main entrance shivers and makes sounds when you close the door or when there is windy weather.
If there is something that can be fixed/adjusted with some makeup, they will fix it. If it takes them to replace, or in other words, where they see fixing will be expensive, they will simply deny. ---- That's the Ryland Homes normal practice.

And, yes, I am talking about Tanglewood community in Fishers.

If I buy another home, I'll buy from Centex or any other cheaper builder who stands behind their work, and save 40-50 thousand in the price for the same home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 02:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,705 times
Default I wouldn't buy a Ryland home again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christa96 View Post
Does anyone have any information on the reputation and quality of Ryland homes? Looking to relocate to a suburb of Indianapolis. I noticed they have built homes in Plainfield.
I have a home just over 10 years old that I purchased from the original owner. The roof had a leak and my contractor said it was a result of the way Ryland built the home (no flashing on the roof), so the water had been soaking into the area for a long time to the point that a beam that went all the way into the basement was going to have to be replaced, along with everything the beam came in contact with. In any case, Ryland refused at first to admit they built the home, then told me it was now over 10 years and they were no longer liable. OK, perhaps that's true, or perhaps it is not, but how is the home buyer to know shoddy workmanship hidden under a roof, just waiting to surface? And do you want to be treated this way? Furthermore, do you want a company who is supposedly so reputable and presumably knows how to build homes, to build something you can't even count on to be a quality home? Really? A roof? And then refuse to fix it? My contractor says he's never had a builder refuse to fix something that was poor construction no matter how long ago it was built. But let me tell you, Ryland is not that company. I suggest you look for another company to build your home.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:00 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
5,463 posts, read 6,190,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanar1 View Post
I have a home just over 10 years old that I purchased from the original owner. The roof had a leak and my contractor said it was a result of the way Ryland built the home (no flashing on the roof), so the water had been soaking into the area for a long time to the point that a beam that went all the way into the basement was going to have to be replaced, along with everything the beam came in contact with. In any case, Ryland refused at first to admit they built the home, then told me it was now over 10 years and they were no longer liable. OK, perhaps that's true, or perhaps it is not, but how is the home buyer to know shoddy workmanship hidden under a roof, just waiting to surface? And do you want to be treated this way? Furthermore, do you want a company who is supposedly so reputable and presumably knows how to build homes, to build something you can't even count on to be a quality home? Really? A roof? And then refuse to fix it? My contractor says he's never had a builder refuse to fix something that was poor construction no matter how long ago it was built. But let me tell you, Ryland is not that company. I suggest you look for another company to build your home.
Uh, you do realize this thread is over 6 years old, don't you?

RM

Old 12-15-2013, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,705 times
Uh, you realize you replied don't you? I just searched in Ryland to find anything about it; I'm sure others will do the same.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:58 PM

626 posts, read 1,022,901 times
We bought a new construction Ryland home in 07, and it's been great. Had a few minor issues, but nothing catastrophic or that the warranty didn't cover. Customer service was great, too.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:23 PM

10 posts, read 18,727 times
We built a Ryland in '01 in Fishers, and in the 12 years that we lived there, we had no problems at all. We recently sold it in order to downsize. If Ryland built low maintenance ranches in Fishers, we would have bought from them again. We now have a ranch under construction in The Villas at Timberstone by Westport Homes.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:42 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,448,297 times
Personally, I'd be looking for an existing older home in an established neighborhood. But that's just me.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:51 AM

316 posts, read 628,683 times
I heard that state electrical wiring codes for Indiana don't require wiring to be inside tubing, unlike other states like Illinois...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis