U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2007, 08:41 AM
SJU

131 posts, read 646,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainStreet View Post
I'm sorry this was your experience. I've lived in Zionsville 12 years and my daughter goes to school with kids from all over the world. I've not experienced what you've described...I've found the communties very friendly. The highschool has even done news stories on residents from other countries with different beliefs with positive results.
I second this. Zionsville is a very educated community. They will not look at you as if you are an alien.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 10:14 PM

3 posts, read 12,059 times
Post I also need help picking a neighborhood in Indy

My son has decided to go to Lincoln Tech in Indy. Not sure about any neighborhood as we have only spent 1 day in Indy. We live outside Kansas City in a very rural area. Obviously, I am a very scared mom not sure which collegiate housing apartment to pick. From what I understand north is ok, but I am very unsure. The school is around 72nd and I465. Just not sure which direction to place him from the school. Wouldn't say he is a country hick, but not very familiar with the city life. PLEASE HELP. I am beginning to lose my mind!

Old 06-11-2007, 10:38 PM

3 posts, read 8,817 times
My sister has lived in Indy since about 1968. She lives just west of 465 off Rockville road on Walton Street. Her neighborhood is mostly small to medium sized older homes. She has a very, very, large lot. Her neighbors are a nice, caring, diverse group of people. I have never heard of her having a problem there. It is also very quick to downtown. She was recently widowed and will be moving back to Columbus, Ohio. Her place will be for sale soon. It may be just what you need.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:19 PM

Thank you very much, I will keep this in mind. Very hard to send to leave someone in a town you know nothing about.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:03 AM
SJU

131 posts, read 646,839 times
Hi unsettledmom,
I work literally across the highway from Lincoln Tech, so I'm very familiar with the area. He should definitely look for places north of 72nd street if he's not very acclimated to "city life." Does he have a car? Zionsville is north of here, but can be a bit pricey. Are you looking for apartments? Homes?

Old 06-12-2007, 10:47 AM

Not sure if other message went through or not. He will have a car and about 6 choices of apartments surrounding the school within about 6 miles. I am hoping for him to be able to find something on his own once he makes some friends and gets used to the area a little more. I appreciate your help.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:03 PM

3 posts, read 14,423 times
I am pushing for Noblesville. I can get to the airport in less than an hour and to downtown in about 35 - 45 minutes during rush hour with a toothache. My dentist in in the AUL building. Stay off of 465 and keep with 69 / Binford /Fall Creek and you will have a smooth ride most days. The schools in Noblesville are why we moved. Great school, White River Elementary is just wonderful as is Our Lady of Grace Catholic school and White River Christian school. We have had no problems with crime or noise or traffic and can't even begin to participate in all the wonderful activities for the kids. Summer camps at the local parks run $35 per week per kid, likewise for T-ball and Pee wee football. Ballet is cheap and the living is easy. We have Meijer and Super Wal-Mart as well as Marsh and Kroger. Also, when looking for your house don't forget craig's List and Zillow - Real Estate Valuations, Homes for Sale, Free Real Estate Information you can find great deals on wonderful houses. $225000 will get you a great 4 bedroom with 2.5 baths and lots of extras with large yard with fence etc. check it out and good luck. Hope to see you at the local PTA this fall

Old 07-15-2007, 05:58 PM

198 posts, read 830,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataEast View Post
Stay out of Pike, Lawrence, IPS, Warren, Wayne, and Washington. By the time your daughter is ready for HS they will all have gone completely to hell.
Why? Explain.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:01 AM

39 posts, read 145,068 times
We are also moving sometime this late fall to indy. I can concur with what has been said above as we have 2 young children and school is our first consideration. We are focusing on Carmel Clay and Hamilton SE school districts - both north of downtown. Don't forget, your 1 year old will soon enough be 3,4 and you will want to ensure a safe yard area and playgrounds nearby.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:31 AM

8 posts, read 57,142 times
Finding an area suitable for your own family needs is a very subjective situation. Many of us worry about some of the same things like the school system or the crime rate of an area, what the cost of housing is or a commute. What's most important to you? Is it school system? Is it the commute? Newer homes? What ammenities do you want/need to have close? Zionsville, Noblesville, Fishers are all up and coming area. There's been tremendous growth in these areas in the last 5 - 10 years too! McCordsville (north-east side) is also seeing many new subdivisions and strip malls coming in. The tax base was better than Fishers, although right now, the whole area is up in arms about their tax assessments and Marion County is just one of the counties that's going to be redone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or