U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 03:18 PM

22 posts, read 73,706 times
Talking Please Help Me Picking A Neighborhood In Indy!

Hi All,

My family is relocating to Indianapolis in October and I would appreciate if anybody has any comments/suggestions on a great neighborhood. I got a job in Downtown but looking for quiet neighborhood, although would like to avoid extensive communing. We have a less than 1-year-old daughter; therefore, the major aspects we're looking for are safety and a good public school district. Any piece of information would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 07:40 PM

8 posts, read 47,429 times
There's so many neighborhoods in and around the Indianapolis area. There is also a re-surgance to moving back into some of the historic neighborhoods right off the downtown area.

Living in the downtown area is helpful as far as commute. I-70 is under road construction making the commute more congested than the norm.

Than you have to take into account what side of Indianapolis you would like to live on. Zionsville is experience a lot of new building, Fishers and Noblesville are two more communities that are very popular. They are to the North of Indy.

If you are moving here in October, you still have some time to research information on the internet. Take into consideration how much time you want to spend driving, the amount of money you will spend, type of home you would like, do you want an older home/neighborhood or something new? What type of amenities do you want near you? (shopping, entertainment, dining, etc.)

Check out www.activerain.com or localism for Indiana. There is a lot of wonderful information. Feel free to stop by http://cyndisloop4inyhomes.com (broken link) also for information about the Indianapolis area.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:20 AM

22 posts, read 73,706 times
Dear csloop, thank you very much! I'm finishing a PhD program, so my time until October will be very limited, but anyway I agree with you about researching on the internet. Thanks for the suggested websites! So far, the general picture I got is: avoid the east side and the north part would be probably the best. It seems that lots of people recommend Fishers and Noblesville. I will also check Zionsville like you mentioned.

I'm looking for neighborhood with newer homes, don't like historic homes. It doesn't really have to be near anything in particular as long as it is safe and get good public schools.

Any other comments? Thanks again!

Old 05-02-2007, 09:11 AM

2,651 posts, read 5,346,691 times
Your price range will determine where you will look.

If you want new home close, one of the few areas is Fall Creek Place, a revitalized area right downtown. Check out flockrealty.com for information.

Otherwise you will be in the donut around indy. Suggestions, Pike Township but in only the far Northwest corner. Fishers/Noblesville but decide if you want the commute.

Avon, Plainfield and surrounding areas on the West side.

Greenwood and areas to the East south of I465.

All these areas have a heavy concentration of new and newish homes of all kinds and prices. It is suburban living with a commute downtown. I69/I465/I70 from Fishers is the heaviest travel and is being rebuilt this year.

I65 north and south gets a lot of traffic but flows.

I70 out west and the other roads like Rockville are commuter runs to and from town. So pick based on how long you will be there, whether you like the commute, the shopping and the amenities.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:29 PM

2,651 posts, read 5,346,691 times
If you want a walkable area with interesting schools, check out Broad Ripple norht of 54th. Small older houses, a lot of which have been remodeled. Library, lots of grocery stores, medical/dental/eye doctors, restaurants, French Bakery, canal and Monon walking/biking trails, easy access downtown and to heavy shopping but no too close to any interstates (quieter). The area is considered hip and lots of young professionals. Several very family oriented areas and good churches. Get out of the car and walk around. We usually spent 15-20 max in commute when we lived there.

Loved the 56th and Illinois area but the costs have skyrocketed.

So it all depends on exactly what you two want and how you want to spend your hours each day. If you want to come home for lunch and spend all your time with your family, check out some of the downtown neighborhoods. Fletcher Place, Fall Creek Place, etc. If you want a little farther out but still a fun and improving neighborhood, check out Broad Ripple and surrounding areas. if you can afford more, check out Meridian Kessler, Butler Tarkington, etc.

Also depends on how much you can do fixing and remodeling.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:02 PM

100 posts, read 113,872 times
Stay out of Pike, Lawrence, IPS, Warren, Wayne, and Washington. By the time your daughter is ready for HS they will all have gone completely to hell.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:36 PM

63 posts, read 252,529 times
I recommend Zionsville. The commute to downtown i much ewasier and quicker than it is from Carmel or Fishers.

Sadly, I second what you are saying DataEast

Old 06-09-2007, 07:37 PM

23 posts, read 80,235 times
Default Zionsville or Carmel

I am in the same boat, almost. We're moving to Indy, I'm a highly educated professional, got a job at IU, looking for home in a family-oriented area with good schools. I have done very extensive search. This is what I've come up with:
Best areas are: Carmel, Zionsville, Fishers, Noblesville. Carmel and Zionsville are the 2 best of best (with the most expensive homes, and best schools). Commute is easier from Zionsville to downtown mainly if you live close to a freeway. I have a problem which if I didn't have, I would most probably go to Zionsville (due to easier commute). I am a foreign-born, white but not caucasian, do not have blue eyes, and speak with accent. This makes me being "stared at" if I go to Zionsville. There are more aliens! in Carmel area (1.5% foreign borns in Zionsville vs 7% in Carmel). So I have to put up with some more difficult commute, but live in an area where my family gets less stared at like strange aliens!

Old 06-10-2007, 10:02 AM

4 posts, read 35,406 times
We moved to Carmel in February and love it. The commute into the city is really easy for my husband. The traffic to and from Fishers and Noblesville is totally ridiculous, so we zapped the idea of moving there right away. I have 4 children, and the school system has been pretty good. Good luck with your search!

Old 06-11-2007, 07:06 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,063 posts, read 3,096,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien! View Post
I am in the same boat, almost. We're moving to Indy, I'm a highly educated professional, got a job at IU, looking for home in a family-oriented area with good schools. I have done very extensive search. This is what I've come up with:
Best areas are: Carmel, Zionsville, Fishers, Noblesville. Carmel and Zionsville are the 2 best of best (with the most expensive homes, and best schools). Commute is easier from Zionsville to downtown mainly if you live close to a freeway. I have a problem which if I didn't have, I would most probably go to Zionsville (due to easier commute). I am a foreign-born, white but not caucasian, do not have blue eyes, and speak with accent. This makes me being "stared at" if I go to Zionsville. There are more aliens! in Carmel area (1.5% foreign borns in Zionsville vs 7% in Carmel). So I have to put up with some more difficult commute, but live in an area where my family gets less stared at like strange aliens!
I'm sorry this was your experience. I've lived in Zionsville 12 years and my daughter goes to school with kids from all over the world. I've not experienced what you've described...I've found the communties very friendly. The highschool has even done news stories on residents from other countries with different beliefs with positive results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis