Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 06:24 AM

2 posts, read 9,106 times

Advertisements

We are moving to IN for a job in Muncie, and I'm looking for great schools (kids are in Elementary School now) and a newer neighborhood in a safe area with lots of kids activities, ie. soccer, ballet, tennis, guitar/piano lessons. It looks like Fishers has great schools... is that too long of a commute to Muncie? Any suggestions of other areas to look? Thank you for any help!!!! Very stressed about this move since I know nothing about IN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 06:59 AM

245 posts, read 683,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kegraybird View Post
We are moving to IN for a job in Muncie, and I'm looking for great schools (kids are in Elementary School now) and a newer neighborhood in a safe area with lots of kids activities, ie. soccer, ballet, tennis, guitar/piano lessons. It looks like Fishers has great schools... is that too long of a commute to Muncie? Any suggestions of other areas to look? Thank you for any help!!!! Very stressed about this move since I know nothing about IN!
I think Fishers or Noblesville would be perfect for you. The commute to Muncie is not too bad; I have a client that does the opposite - commutes from Yorktown (near Muncie) to Fishers. Worst case scenario: if you start on I-69 at 96th Street (the furthest south you can go and still be Fishers), you will have a 43 mile trip. Most of your commute will be on an interstate with a 70 mph speed limit (just about everyone goes 80). Also, you'll be traveling away from Indianapolis in the morning and towards it at night, so you'll be "reverse commuting" so to speak.

There are several neighborhoods in Fishers and Noblesville that would be exactly what you're looking for, and are no more than a 5 minute drive to the freeway. Check out the additions around Exit 10 (near Hamilton Town Center mall). If you're south of 146th street (numbers go up as you go north), you're in Fishers. If you're north of the freeway and/or 146th Street, you're in Noblesville. Both are suburbs of Indianapolis and should be a good fit for you. You might also check out some neighborhoods off 116th Street in Fishers, but then you're getting closer to the city and further from Muncie, so your commute will grow accordingly.

Fishers is (slightly) more expensive than Noblesville, and the schools are a little better, but overall I think the towns are pretty similar. Both have been rated among the best in various national publications...Fishers was #3 on a "best places to live" list, and Noblesville/Hamilton County was #1 on Forbes' "best places to raise a family" list. In my honest opinion, I think you are definitely on the right track by settling in the Indianapolis area rather than in Muncie. All of the things you mentioned should be available in a college town like Muncie, but will be available in greater abundance and quality in the Indy area.

Good luck and welcome to greater Indy!

Last edited by dave.dawsn; 11-06-2009 at 07:09 AM..

Old 11-06-2009, 07:12 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
It is roughly 40 miles from Fishers to Muncie. That is really up to you to decide if that is too long of a commute. Pendleton is a decent town that will shave ten miles off that commute. It is not straight suburbia like Fishers and N-ville; but it is decent enough.

If you want options closer to Muncie, look into Yorktown.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:25 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
I have a good buddy who lives in Yorktown, but his kids go to Burris, which is one of the best schools in the entire state.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:00 PM

2 posts, read 9,106 times
Thank you for the replies! I was wondering if any of you had any thoughts about Royerton/Delta schools in Muncie?? Are there nice families/kids in that area? So far we've narrowed our search down to Fishers, Yorktown, and maybe Royerton/Delta. Thank you again... your reviews have been very helpful!

Old 11-10-2009, 12:52 PM

3 posts, read 10,839 times
Fishers is definately more of the active family community you are looking for.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:46 PM

245 posts, read 683,075 times
Quote:
Thank you for the replies! I was wondering if any of you had any thoughts about Royerton/Delta schools in Muncie?? Are there nice families/kids in that area? So far we've narrowed our search down to Fishers, Yorktown, and maybe Royerton/Delta. Thank you again... your reviews have been very helpful!
Muncie and Yorktown are areas that I know very little about in terms of demographics, home prices/values, and schools. That's my disclaimer.

What I do know is that, aside from Ball State, the Muncie area is very limited in what it has to offer. Muncie is a small town compared to greater Indianapolis. There are fewer people, fewer families, fewer activities...fewer of everything. Also, Muncie is a blue collar manufacturing town, and manufacturing is WAY down in Indiana right now. I don't know what kind of job you're planning to take up there, but if you get laid off or can't stand the job and quit, you're far more likely to find another job in greater Indianapolis than you are in Muncie.

You absolutely can't go wrong in Hamilton County (Fishers/Noblesville) if you're interested in a great place to raise your family. I don't know if you desire an urban, suburban or rural setting, but all three are within minutes of Fishers. 15 miles north? You're in the middle of nowhere. 15 miles south? You're in the middle of downtown Indianapolis. You just can't beat that. Plus, there is a culture of education and achievement in Hamilton County. It is the wealthiest county in the state and has some of the finest public school districts in the state...your kids will generally associate with kids whose parents encourage them to do well and set their sights high. That's not to say that you won't find that in Muncie, but again, outside the immediate influence of the University it is generally a blue collar manufacturing town. Draw your own conclusions.

I realize my post makes it sound like Hamilton County is the land of milk and honey...it's not. There is a lot of snootiness and snobbery here, diversity is limited, and it is noticeably expensive compared to other parts of greater Indianapolis, but overall, given your options, I think it is a clear winner.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,030 times
Hello everyone,
I reviewed above discussion and would appreciate any input preferably from Muncie and nearby commute. I am looking for living with minimal commute and close to Muncie city. I am interested in rental apartments and condos. Any links and website are appreciated.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:02 AM

2 posts, read 10,007 times
You may have moved already but I just graduated from BSU and just moved to Noblesville. I love Noblesville compared to Muncie but it's mainly because I am so close to work,places to eat, shop, the mall and family, different places that Muncie didn't have to offer.

Muncie is a college town...so if you rent houses near the university expect parties and drunks. I would recommend to stay away from the dowtown/southside because I hear about a lot of crime in the that area but it is cheaper. North side of Muncie is decent. I lived in Silvertree apartments. It had a mix of people but mainly college students. I don't know much about the schools but I'm sure Hamilton county schools have more to offer. Burris is a good school, but has limited enrollment due to the small class sizes. There is a waiting list.

Yorktown is nice that I know of. I go to the Dentist there and my animals vets are there. The houses may be older, and I don't know of any housing additions. But it's close to Muncie for shopping and restaurants.

When I worked on campus, my supervisor disliked Delaware county's government so he moved to the next county over near Farmland. But I also have an aunt who lives east of Ball State and doesn't mind it. It is a nice little area with little college students rentals.

I would rent and research the areas you want to live in before making the big investment of buying a home. Looks can be deceiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis