U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-06-2009, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,766 times
Default Rock In Corner of Yard

I recently visted my in-laws in Indianapolis, they live in a neighborhood near down town (around 47th and Illinois I think). I noticed that many of the homes in the neighborhood had a single large rock in the front yard, many near the street close to the edge of their driveways.

Is there a story behind the single rock in the yard?

Thanks,
B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 04:23 PM

141 posts, read 117,957 times
probably was put there when the houses were built and had the house numbers on it, just a guess

Old 11-07-2009, 07:23 PM

113 posts, read 224,239 times
Now that you mention it, a lot of people do seem to do that. I've seen some with house numbers on them but others without. Almost seems like some kind of yard decoration if you will. Just seems like something else to mow around to me... haha

Old 11-08-2009, 08:38 AM

163 posts, read 398,429 times
One person probably got one, then someone else liked it, so the rock idea spread.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:13 AM

76 posts, read 172,244 times
I typically only see a rock or a set of rocks in the yards of houses situated on corners. I always assumed it was to "discourage" people from taking the corner too close, leaving tire tracks in the lawn. The rocks are usually very close to the street, exactly where someone might let their car drift if they weren't paying attention.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:42 AM

5 posts, read 5,887 times
I do believe that many times when the house is being built the rock is dug up when digging for the foundation and to avoid needing to haul it off they commonly place them on the corner of the yard and /or driveway entrance primarily to keep people from driving in the yard."laziness is the greatest inventor!"

Old 09-10-2011, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,009 times
When they're smaller limestone rocks they definitely came from the property itself. Granite rocks are a different story. My ex's family lived in Indiana and the first thing i noticed were the huge granite boulders in yards. He told me being able to buy the huge rock and have it placed in your yard is a sign of wealth. I thought he was screwing with me until his mother told me she'd always wanted a granite yard rock and was saving her money in the hopes of one day getting one. Other people in the Indiana & Illinois area have confirmed that big rocks are indeed a sign of wealth in that area. There's always dumber things to spend money on I guess...

Old 09-11-2011, 08:32 AM

83 posts, read 81,612 times
I have a huge rock on a point of my property (the house was built in 1940). I have no idea why it is there.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:06 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,032,459 times
Many times, people will put a rock at the property corner to establish the property line between them & the neighbor.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:48 AM

879 posts, read 889,313 times
Some people place them in the yards at various locations (usually corners near where streets intersect) to keep drunk drivers or dangerous drivers from hitting the home at full speed. Near where I grew up in the suburbs, one property owner kept getting their fence struck. The answer was three larger rocks. Goal is to stop the car from hitting another further up into the yard or the house. If anything, it can help slow the speed of the vehicle and minimize damage if it still strikes the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis