U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 11:07 AM

638 posts, read 785,190 times

Advertisements

Green Line drives rider growth | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

What is your opinion of this mass transit option. More specifically take a look at the article and comments section. Is rail a better or even realistic option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 12:06 PM

8,054 posts, read 13,162,259 times
I think the green line is a great example of why I think rail transit in Indianapolis is a BAD idea. The green line, and other IndyGo express routes, continue to lose money.

In a city that is struggling to make ends meet as it is, there is no logical reason to invest in a rail system.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:07 PM

17,696 posts, read 34,376,374 times
I think mass transit, especially from airports to downtowns are a great thing!

Old 12-15-2009, 12:29 PM

638 posts, read 785,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I think mass transit, especially from airports to downtowns are a great thing!
I agree! I think the reasoning behind the abysmal failure of transit in Indy has more to do with the quality of investment. Louisville, KY has half the population of Indy yet supports a bus system twice Indyís size. Supporting a mediocre transit system in no way attracts higher ridership, it in fact dissuades riders. There are many benefits to transit development and most of these benefits affect city coffers directly.

Arlington County VA directly across from Washington, DC is a prime example. When metro went in county officials decided to zone for TODís around each metro stop. The result today is that Arlington County has a pearl necklace of TODís stretching its entire length. Office towers mingle with apartment and high-rise condos, and all are surrounded by a multiplicity of shopping and entertainment options. This has had a tremendously powerful affect on Arlington Countyís tax base and has created surprisingly vibrant urban areas within formally suburban enclaves I guess the main question to ask is do you want to continue Indyís sprawl answer to development or embrace another frame of thought.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:35 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,870,693 times
I feel that rail would be a better option for both the airport and the north side. The reason that rail would be better for the north side is because that is the part of town with the most congestion. With an express route bus you don't have to drive, but you still get stuck in traffic. With rail you can usually get to work on time without worrying about traffic. As for the airport route I am not sure. For me I would rather catch a train to a city from the airport rather than a bus.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:08 PM

3,574 posts, read 9,007,211 times
I can get Carey limo shared ride for $12 or so one way to the airport from downtown. It comes right to my front door and lets me off at my front door. Why would I ride rail?

If I took rail, I would still have to get from the downtown stop to my home. It would end up costing more. Right now the greenline bus is $7, I think. So for $5 I can get home pickup. Why would I ride greenline? And the limo is clean, comfortable, and on time anytime I need it.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:45 AM

17,696 posts, read 34,376,374 times
I think the point of the greenline is for the convenience of conventioneers since it seems to stop at all the hotels. For practical purposes of indy residents, it's not so great. Indy is very dependent on convention and meeting business, so anything that can cater to them ... even at taxpayer expense, sorry ... will be strongly considered. Conventioneers bring money.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:03 PM

155 posts, read 364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The green line, and other IndyGo express routes, continue to lose money.
And how much money do the highways generate? Oh, wait....they are subsidized too.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:23 PM

8,054 posts, read 13,162,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserable Midwest View Post
And how much money do the highways generate? Oh, wait....they are subsidized too.
They also happen to be much cheaper to operate day to day and for the most part, at this point in time, do not require a hefty initial investment with almost no hope for ROI

Old 12-27-2009, 02:07 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,870,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
They also happen to be much cheaper to operate day to day and for the most part, at this point in time, do not require a hefty initial investment with almost no hope for ROI
Of course they require hefty investments. Look at the Accelerate 465 project, the I-69 widening, the super 70 project, and now I-465 on the north east side widening. Highways always need expanded, or need to have another highway created to relieve traffic. And if ROI means return on investment, how do highways generate money without a toll. All they do is lose money. Mass transit actually can generate revenue if enough people begin to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or