U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 08:46 AM

15,577 posts, read 34,402,731 times

Advertisements

Indianapolis - is it pedestrian friendly anywhere? Or mostly all car-oriented? How is the layout?

Not that I wouldn't have a car, but it is nice to be able to walk around places without jumping in the car for nearly everything.

Even if there were a few areas that are noteable exceptions...thinking of housing in particular, where you can just step out your front door and have access to restaurants or stores in places...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 09:55 AM

8,215 posts, read 13,423,675 times
There are pockets of walkability:

Mass Ave

much of downtown as well

Broad Ripple

Fountain Square is somewhat walkable; but behind Mass Ave and Broad Ripple.

I used to live at 38th and Eagle Creek on the far west side; I could walk to Target and Marsh; but certainly not in a pedestrian friendly environment.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:29 AM

4,176 posts, read 5,266,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Indianapolis - is it pedestrian friendly anywhere? Or mostly all car-oriented? How is the layout?

Not that I wouldn't have a car, but it is nice to be able to walk around places without jumping in the car for nearly everything.

Even if there were a few areas that are noteable exceptions...thinking of housing in particular, where you can just step out your front door and have access to restaurants or stores in places...

I don't know the individuals section mentioned in the first response that well. However, I haven't found the city to really be designed for walking at all. I guess Downtown is OK for pedestrians, but I've never felt the urban/walkable vibe as strongly in Indy as in other cities. Probably b/c it doesn't have the same sense of walkability as other cities.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:42 PM

8,215 posts, read 13,423,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I don't know the individuals section mentioned in the first response that well.
Mass Ave is in the NE quad of downtown. It is, IMO, the most walkable area of Indianapolis.

Broad Ripple is along Broad Ripple Ave just east of College Ave. SoBro around 52nd/54th and College is also a somewhat walkable area; albeit on a smaller scale.

Fountain Square is just southeast of downtown; and behind those other areas in term of walkability.

I would not expect someone unfamiliar with Indianapolis to know where any of those places are.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:42 PM

265 posts, read 822,425 times
Work is ongoing on the Cultural Trail.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:36 PM

163 posts, read 563,999 times
Depends on how far you like to walk

Old 01-02-2010, 08:57 AM

423 posts, read 1,058,981 times
Indy is not that pedestrian friendly. But you can see the big differences between the old parts of the city--which were built before cars dominated--and the newer parts, which were built in the 1960s to 1980s when cars rules and they didn't even bother with sidewalks. Newer subdivisions are required to have sidewalks, but most of those are going up in the suburbs.

Center Township in general is pedestrian friendly, but unfortunately much of it is still in low-income areas where there is not a whole lot to walk to, even if the infrastructure is there to support it. That's starting to change with new infill developments.

The best areas right now for walking have already been mentioned:
Chatham Arch/Lockerbie Square/Mass Avenue
Broad Ripple
Fountain Square

I would also consider the following neighborhoods:
Irvington
Old Northside
Meridian Kessler

Some hoods are likely to become more walkable as the areas gentrify:
Mapleton
Fall Creek Place
Herron-Morton Place
Fletcher Place
Sacred Heart
Holy Cross
Cottage Home
Bates-Hendricks
Woodruff Place

Speedway and Beech Grove are somewhat walkable. So is Homecroft/Southport on the south side.

Neighborhoods like Brightwood/Martindale and Mars Hill have some elements of walkability, but they are not desirable places to live--generally high crime and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:18 AM

1,097 posts, read 3,476,259 times
Both Meridian-Kessler and Butler-Tarkington have sidewalks on most streets, but apart from a few intersections there isn't much of anywhere to walk to. There are commercial areas at 56th and Illinois and at 49th and Penn, there's the Butler University campus, and the canal towpath trail that links it to Broad Ripple. But depending on how far one likes to walk, most of M-K and B-T is relatively far from restaurants and stores.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:34 AM

914 posts, read 1,124,070 times
This is one area that Indy could be improved ALOT,areas that are walkable for people that choose not to drive and public transportation .Most areas I have are not friendly ,other cities are way ahead of us as a city .

Old 01-02-2010, 12:13 PM

620 posts, read 985,299 times
Indianapolis should focus on buillding strictly dense, walkable, pedestrian friendly areas to fill in the large "gaps" in the city. There are many large open plots of land all over the city. These should be utilized while they still exist (indy is a younger city) Town Squares, Plazas and Towne Centers would work awesome in Indy. The best thing about that place is that even though it's very suburban in nature, it wouldnt be hard to densify because there is soooooo much land. You would'nt even need to tear down existing housing. As of now, the place is tooooooooooo car oriented and all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or