U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 08:14 PM

265 posts, read 822,189 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of fine restaurants in Indy, and Indiana is not one of the fattest states.

In fact, if you find a map for the entire United States, there are states on both coasts where the obesity rate is high (Colorado takes top honors again for the lowest obesity rates).

I have no personal knowledge of the public school systems on the east coast, but coming from California and still having lots of friends out there, I do know that many school districts are in trouble due to overcrowding compounded by budget cuts. Indiana has several school districts that are highly ranked nationally, so we're not at the bottom of the barrel academically.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 04:13 AM

76 posts, read 238,138 times
Thank you, G.I.W. One of the things I don't like about Indiana is the bad attitude of many (not all) lifelong Hoosiers. They're forever complaining about how Indiana is "the worst" this and "at the bottom" of that. I've had people claim with a straight face that Indianapolis has the worst crime rate of any U.S. city, as well as the worst schools, the worst traffic, the highest taxes, and yes...the fattest people. None of these assertions is remotely true. I think they're unhappy with their lives and assume that Indiana is somehow the problem. If only they could go live in some other state, everything they're dissatisfied with would magically vanish. Well, why don't they go, already? Moving to another state is an inconvenience, but if you're truly convinced that Indiana is "holding you back," why wouldn't you be willing to inconvenience yourself in order to achieve the lifetime of bliss that surely awaits?

Anyway, my point is that when you look at the facts (such as those you provided), Indiana is virtually never "the worst" in any area. We are seldom "the best" either (with the exception of Most Affordable Housing, which Indianapolis has been #1 at for several years running), but we're typically right in the middle in most areas. Is there room for improvement? Yes. Will that improvement probably be made by the people who are always complaining about how awful Indiana is? No way.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:29 AM

I see a lot of people here who champion Indiana (me included).

My theory is, either people have no point of reference (ie, they've never lived anywhere else) or they come to Indiana and complain about the lack of mountains and oceans, dislike of cold weather etc. It's not too difficult to figure out that the midwest isn't going to have oceans and mountains and is a four seasons area. If those things are important, I agree, don't choose Indiana (or any other midwestern state for that matter) as a place to live.

There are good and bad points about every state, every location. It all comes down to personal preferences and whether or not the good outweighs the bad in choosing a place to live. We've lived in many different places over the years due to my husband's employment, but we've always come back to Indiana. It's a good fit for us but that doesn't mean it's going to be a good fit for everyone else.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:38 PM

76 posts, read 238,138 times
Right, G.I.W., that was my point. The people who are always putting Indiana down are almost always folks who have never lived anywhere else. Typically people who have lived elsewhere are much more positive about Indiana, because, as you said, they have a point of reference.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:29 PM

914 posts, read 1,123,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma(in waiting) View Post
I see a lot of people here who champion Indiana (me included).

My theory is, either people have no point of reference (ie, they've never lived anywhere else) or they come to Indiana and complain about the lack of mountains and oceans, dislike of cold weather etc. It's not too difficult to figure out that the midwest isn't going to have oceans and mountains and is a four seasons area. If those things are important, I agree, don't choose Indiana (or any other midwestern state for that matter) as a place to live.

There are good and bad points about every state, every location. It all comes down to personal preferences and whether or not the good outweighs the bad in choosing a place to live. We've lived in many different places over the years due to my husband's employment, but we've always come back to Indiana. It's a good fit for us but that doesn't mean it's going to be a good fit for everyone else.
Great post GIW

Old 01-28-2010, 03:45 PM

Thanks.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:32 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,915,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo Animals On Wheels View Post
Thank you, G.I.W. One of the things I don't like about Indiana is the bad attitude of many (not all) lifelong Hoosiers. They're forever complaining about how Indiana is "the worst" this and "at the bottom" of that. I've had people claim with a straight face that Indianapolis has the worst crime rate of any U.S. city, as well as the worst schools, the worst traffic, the highest taxes, and yes...the fattest people. None of these assertions is remotely true. I think they're unhappy with their lives and assume that Indiana is somehow the problem. If only they could go live in some other state, everything they're dissatisfied with would magically vanish. Well, why don't they go, already? Moving to another state is an inconvenience, but if you're truly convinced that Indiana is "holding you back," why wouldn't you be willing to inconvenience yourself in order to achieve the lifetime of bliss that surely awaits?

Anyway, my point is that when you look at the facts (such as those you provided), Indiana is virtually never "the worst" in any area. We are seldom "the best" either (with the exception of Most Affordable Housing, which Indianapolis has been #1 at for several years running), but we're typically right in the middle in most areas. Is there room for improvement? Yes. Will that improvement probably be made by the people who are always complaining about how awful Indiana is? No way.
I do agree with you about most of this. The only thing that I remember hearing that is possibly true is that Indianapolis Public Schools had the 2nd highest drop out rate in the country. With that said I still like Indiana and Indianapolis great.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:10 AM

17,698 posts, read 34,699,790 times
IPS is a mess, no argument there. But the state of inner city schools is a mess in general all over the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis