U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 12:41 PM

423 posts, read 1,058,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BU191433 View Post
I'm certainly not an expert on Greenwood, but one thing I know about the whole Indy area is that where apartments are concerned, you get what you pay for. If the price seems great, there is a reason. Could be old rundown apartments, or it could be in a bad area of town and the apartments have gone to the "dogs"

One other thing to keep in mind about apartments in Indy. Apartments are the first part of the neighborhood to "turn bad". In general if a neighborhood is average, the apartments are going to be bad. If the neighborhood is bad the apartments are going to be crime ridden and just horrible. If a neighborhood is nice - then the apartments will be average. if a neighborhood is really, really nice and upscale, then the apartments will be nice.

So look for the really good suburbs and neighborhoods when you sre looking for apartments
Sadly, this observation is often true. Apartments "go bad" because they turn around a lot of tenants with very little maintenance in between leases. And tenants of course have no incentive to keep up the property because they don't own the place. Thus, an apartment building that is only 5 years old will start to look tired and after 10 years can be really lousy. Unless, of course, it is marketed as luxury in a downtown area.

It's often up to homeowners in the adjacent area to pressure landlords to rehab their properties after 10 years--easier said than done. That said, I've lived in an apartment in New Orleans that was considered Class B, in a neighborhood that was mixed of affluence and extreme poverty side by side (lots of gates and bars on windows, typical of New Orleans). The tenant mix was very diverse and some in this Class B apartment were clearly much more affluent than others, but it was respectful at heart.

Reputation is sometimes more powerful than the actual physical conditions. Midwesterners are notoriously fixated on homeownership more than the rest of the country. Hey, homeownership levels are highest here, but along with it comes a stigma toward renters that is often undeserved.

Probably more information than you ever needed to know, but that's it in a nutshell. Come back with your price listings for apartments after you searched around through Craig's List or something--people here can tell you if that's a good location or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 06:40 PM

5 posts, read 8,784 times
Well,as far as greenwood goes, this is what I have found:

Valle Vista Arms Apartments on Paradise Court Sreet($460 for a one bedroom)
Polo Run APt.on Kings Mill Road(cheapest rent is $409)
I also found Westminster and Sanstone apartments in Greenwood for similar prices.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 7,361 times
I like Indy ok, its been my home all my life, but I wouldnt say there are many gangs in Greenwood if you ask me. Ive never heard of anything going on there. I actually live in Irvington, which is the east side of downtown, about 5 mins from the clubs there and it has a small town feel. Although it is not a town or city in its own, its like a small old victorian style house district. Its right in the middle of a ghetto area, but theres never any crime here. THere are alot of older people living here that have been here for years, and I love it!!

Old 01-24-2010, 10:11 AM

3 posts, read 7,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANTINDY View Post
Well,as far as greenwood goes, this is what I have found:

Valle Vista Arms Apartments on Paradise Court Sreet($460 for a one bedroom)
Polo Run APt.on Kings Mill Road(cheapest rent is $409)
I also found Westminster and Sanstone apartments in Greenwood for similar prices.

Ill tell you something though, if you want to move to Indy, dont chose greenfield. No nightlife, and its about 35 mins from the clubs.

Try broad ripple, irvington like I mentioned, or lawrence isnt so bad in some parts. In Irvington you can get a rental house for about 500-600 mo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or