U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 12:25 PM

5 posts, read 8,786 times

Advertisements

Hello.New member here.Im a 24 year old black male orginally from Chicago.I have been living in a suburb of Atlanta,GA for the last five years.I want to get out of GA,and Im strongly considering moving to Indianapolis.I want to move to a city that is close to Chicago,but doesnt have the "ghettoness" of Chicago or Atlanta.Im black but I prefer dating white women.I work at my local Wal-mart,so Im not worried about a job im pretty sure i can transfer.Im leaning toward the Greenwood area,but i hear mixed things about it.Some say its nice and quiet,others say its redneck.Honestly,I dont mind living around "hillbillies"and id much more prefer that type of area to something ghetto.I make freinds with both blacks and whites.Ive read on some aparment rating websites that some parts of Greenwood are ridden with gangs.Is this true?I love to party and go to the clubs.Whats the nightlife like in Indy?Im looking for a big city with that small town kinda feel.I guess you can say I want the best of Chitown and Atlanta,minus the worst of those two cities.Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 12:44 PM

265 posts, read 822,425 times
Someone wrote a post in another thread here about Greenwood that was favorable. He said it's mostly a blue collar area and friendly. I'm not that familiar with it, other than shopping at the mall there, but from appearances, it seems to be a very nice community with well kept homes. Home prices and apartment rentals are more reasonable there than in other parts of Indy.

As far as safety is concerned, I believe you'd be safer in Greenwood than in some parts of Indy (the east side, for example). The best advice I can give as far as looking for an apartment is, if you can, come down and check out some of the places in person. Chat with some of the residents. Sometimes (but not in all cases), those ratings on sites like apartmentratings.com may not be the most reliable. It's human nature for people to put more effort into complaining than complimenting.

I think you'd like Indy. It's smaller than both Atlanta (when considering the entire Atlanta metro area) and Chicago and has a very friendly and accepting vibe. The cost of living is lower than Chicago's and the weather tends to be a bit better. And, if you decide to move, welcome to Indiana! We love it here and hope you do, too.

Last edited by Grandma(in waiting); 01-20-2010 at 12:58 PM..

Old 01-20-2010, 02:23 PM

8,215 posts, read 13,423,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma(in waiting) View Post

As far as safety is concerned, I believe you'd be safer in Greenwood than in some parts of Indy (the east side, for example).

There are parts of the East side that are bad. There are also parts of the west, north, and south sides that are bad. There are also good parts of each of those areas.

No reason to single out the east side.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 01-20-2010 at 02:32 PM..

Old 01-20-2010, 02:42 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,916,842 times
I would not say that Greenwood is ridden with gangs, but there are parts of it that have a lot of hillbillies.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:53 PM

44 posts, read 88,588 times
I'm from Atlanta. I grew up in Roswell, GA and I moved to Indy about 8 months ago.

Greenwood is pretty nice. I'd say its like a Dunwoody type city. The really nice upscale side of town that equates to Marietta or Roswell is the northside of Indy in the Carmel area. Two advantages of Greenwood, however, is its quicker to get into downtown than the northside and its quicker to get to the airport.

Granted, Atlanta isn't "The South" that people think of when they think of Georgia, however, I think even if Greenwood is a "hillbilly" town it will be nothing like you are used to in Atlanta. I know this from experience.

Like another poster said, the disadvantage of Indy is its not as big as Atlanta. To me, the only thing I miss having is an MLB team, otherwise I find plenty of the same things to do. Chicago is great but its more of a haul than you'd think. You really can't do a day-trip.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
There are parts of the East side that are bad. There are also parts of the west, north, and south sides that are bad. There are also good parts of each of those areas.

No reason to single out the east side.
I do agree that there are bad parts all over the city, but I think it's pretty safe to say that areas on the east side have a higher crime rate than other parts of the city. I might be mistaken, though. However, I did find a few articles that seem to back that up.

"Certain areas of Indianapolis, most notably portions of the city's East Side, remain a challenge for law enforcement officials. Indianapolis was ranked as the 33rd most dangerous city in the United States in the 2008–2009 edition of CQ Press's City Crime Rankings."

Source

"The inhabitants of Indy's East Side live in the highest crime area in the city."

Source

"Like many large cities in the U.S., certain neighborhoods in Indianapolis are known as more dangerous than others. Downtown Indianapolis remains relatively safe, while the east side requires special attention by police."

Source

Last edited by Grandma(in waiting); 01-20-2010 at 03:23 PM..

Old 01-20-2010, 05:51 PM

423 posts, read 1,058,981 times
I'm one of those hillbillies who grew up on the South Side, and though I didn't quite live as far out as Greenwood, I also have almost a full set of teeth--only missing five on the top row.

The stereotyping of Greenwood as hillbilly is just as stale as the eastsiders hearing about how their side of town is ghetto. You will definitely hear southern accents on the south side of Indianapolis--some of them from locals, many of them from people who grew up in deepest rural southern Indiana, and many more (the thickest ones) from the south. Some of these people are working class; some have graduate degrees. You will also meet soccer moms, Volvo-owning families that could fit in Carmel, and their preppy kids. The mall on this side of town is very nice and has somehow gotten more upscale even when other malls are declining. At a gym near Southport I usually hear at least 3 or 4 other languages spoken. We have a small but growing black middle class, lots of Latinos, a huge Punjabi Indian community (particularly of the Sikh faith), and a growing population of Burmese.

If you have to split hairs, one could usually assert that the western side of Greenwood (Center Grove) is more upscale and less white working-class than the eastern side. But the eastern side of Greenwood has the old town center and much more character--more diversity too. Perry Township would be a fair bet as well since its closer to the city's nightlife and more multicultural than anything south of Indy city limits.

I don't think Greenwood has many gangs, if any at all. Perhaps Latino ones, maybe Indian ones, but there isn't really evidence of any gang-related crime.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:31 PM

17,698 posts, read 34,711,145 times
I've never heard of gangs in Greenwood ... wow. i'll have to check with my neighbors who grew up and graduated from Greenwood HS ...

Greenwood has pretty much everything that the northside of indianapolis/Carmel/Fishers has. It's a lot more blue collar, I won't go as far as saying hillbilly, because I experienced plenty of those living on the northside of indy too ...

if you can make a trip, come up and visit greenwood. I think you'll be ok.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:38 AM

5 posts, read 8,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma(in waiting) View Post
Someone wrote a post in another thread here about Greenwood that was favorable. He said it's mostly a blue collar area and friendly. I'm not that familiar with it, other than shopping at the mall there, but from appearances, it seems to be a very nice community with well kept homes. Home prices and apartment rentals are more reasonable there than in other parts of Indy.

As far as safety is concerned, I believe you'd be safer in Greenwood than in some parts of Indy (the east side, for example). The best advice I can give as far as looking for an apartment is, if you can, come down and check out some of the places in person. Chat with some of the residents. Sometimes (but not in all cases), those ratings on sites like apartmentratings.com may not be the most reliable. It's human nature for people to put more effort into complaining than complimenting.

I think you'd like Indy. It's smaller than both Atlanta (when considering the entire Atlanta metro area) and Chicago and has a very friendly and accepting vibe. The cost of living is lower than Chicago's and the weather tends to be a bit better. And, if you decide to move, welcome to Indiana! We love it here and hope you do, too.

Yeah,i think i would like Indiana.One thing im concerned about is these apartments in Greenwood that are under $500 a month.Im wondering why they are so cheap.$430 a month sounds great for my limited Walmart budget,i just hope its not too run down.Also,what are race relations like in the city?As I said I prefer dating white women.Would I have problem"picking up"white women in Indy?

Old 01-21-2010, 03:00 AM

As an older married woman, I'm afraid I'd have no frame of reference for the dating scene, but someone should be along who can offer some input. As far as I know (sometimes, I think statements like that need to be in bold because undoubtedly, someone will be along to dispute what I'm about to say, but again, based on my own experiences), I haven't noticed a problem with race in Indy. I do see a lot of mixed couples and no one has ever stared inappropriately or made comments when I've been around.

For the apartments, come down and check them out. That way, you'll know whether or not they'd be acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or