U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 15,811 times

Advertisements

We are a Jewish family possibly relocating to the Indianapolis area. We have three children ages 13, 10, and 3. What elementary/middle/high schools have a good population of Jewish children? Also, what neighborhoods might have larger Jewish populations?

Is Indianapolis a Jewish friendly area or is there a lot of antisemitism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 06:11 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,462,259 times
While I'm not Jewish, I think you'd find that Indy is Jewish-friendly. The Jewish community here is not very large, but it is notable. Many of the area's Jews seem to reside on the Northwest side north of 60th, west of Meridian and east of Ditch roads. Many have also started to migrate to Carmel.

The Hasten Hebrew Academy offers Orthodox Jewish education through the 8th Grade: Hasten Hebrew Academy - Home

A few other Indy Jewish institutions:

Shapiro's Deli - Serving the Indianapolis Area for over 100 years
JCC Indy
Congregation Beth-El Zedeck

Old 01-21-2010, 06:16 PM

17,698 posts, read 34,851,784 times
no anti-semitism! There isn't a Jewish neighborhood in Indy per se ... the temples tend to be concentrated on the north side, in the meridian hills area. I did a quick google and found these.

Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation - a progressive congregation
Congregation Beth-El Zedeck - conservative
Congregation B'nai Torah - orthodox

This is the newest temple. It's located in Carmel, a suburb just north of Indy:
: Home

And the JCC is a great place!

JCC Indy

As far as public schools ... with temples located on the north side, and a temple in Carmel, I'd start there.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:39 PM

92 posts, read 301,835 times
I have two jewish friends in my grad program. They're from Belarussia, so they're not the typical american jewish people.

But from what they've told me, a lot of the jewish people live in Carmel area or the northern parts of near Meridian Street. One of the friend lives in Carmel, the other lives near Pike Township/Zionsville (??).

Old 07-25-2011, 02:13 PM

27 posts, read 70,380 times
Default Anti-Sematism

We had a Jewish mayor in the 80s. We have very little anti-sematism. Every major denomination has a synaogogue in the area (and some have two).

Old 07-27-2011, 07:49 AM

638 posts, read 798,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
no anti-semitism! There isn't a Jewish neighborhood in Indy per se ... the temples tend to be concentrated on the north side, in the meridian hills area. I did a quick google and found these.

Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation - a progressive congregation
Congregation Beth-El Zedeck - conservative
Congregation B'nai Torah - orthodox

This is the newest temple. It's located in Carmel, a suburb just north of Indy:
: Home

And the JCC is a great place!

JCC Indy

As far as public schools ... with temples located on the north side, and a temple in Carmel, I'd start there.
While that may be true now, I don't know about that in regards to the past. I lived in North Willow Farms the large incorporated housing development between Ditch and Township line Rd's during the nineties. I think we may have been one of maybe ten Christian families in the whole development. No Christmas lights, all of my friends celebrated Hanukah, and most individuals identified with being Jewish despite a lack of regular Temple service. If any neighborhood could have been identified as being Jewish, it definitely would have been North Willow.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:20 AM

27 posts, read 70,380 times
Default Oh Yeah

There is no lack of regular service. There is daily minyan at several synagogues (orthodox and conservative/reconstructionist).

Also, I did not answer the first part of your question. You may want to consider the Hasten Hebrew Academy of Indianapolis.

100% of the appx 200 children are jewish. It is a community school supported by the federation. And it is excellent, consistantly ranked as one of the top few schools (of ALL schools) in the state.

I hope this helps.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:26 PM

543 posts, read 679,021 times
I'm Jewish and I've never witnessed any direct anti-semitism. I live downtown but the other posters are right about the concentration of Jews on the north and NW sides of town. I don't spend much time or know that many people that live in Carmel so I can't comment on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or