U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 02:44 PM

265 posts, read 819,314 times

Advertisements

LOL! I imagine the people who answer the phone aren't too well versed in parasitology, but your inquiry probably got to the right pew (most likely the infection control department). From what I've been able to find, there is no effective treatment that will kill the eggs in feces that transmit raccoon roundworm, but surely there has to be something that will lessen the chances of becoming infected, other than incinerating your attic.

I was just thinking you should change your nick to RaccoonSlayer. We want a picture of you in your new coonskin cap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 03:23 PM

2,153 posts, read 9,757,067 times
Oh but I really like raccoons (in someone else's home). I'll come by to visit and watch but I don't want to live with them.

If one contracts infectious BP, there is no medical treatment for it.

I am still trying to figure out if BP goes airborne and if there are any confirmed cases of people contracting it that way. One industrial hygienist said that he knows of no way to test for airborne BP.

The only thing I saw airborne today was a coon falling from my roof.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:51 PM

I'm pretty sure that airborne transmission doesn't occur, rather it's transmitted via direct contact with the eggs in feces, but the CDC can verify that.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:18 PM

Raccoon feces---A person can inhale the microscopic eggs of roundworm (BP).
“Raccoons are known to carry a number of diseases and internal parasites. The raccoon roundworm, an infection spread to people by the accidental ingestion or inhalation of roundworm eggs from raccoon feces, has caused increased concern in recent years. Roundworm infection can cause serious disabilities, and young children are thought to be most susceptible. Raccoons are also carriers of rabies.”
Raccoons Management Guidelines--UC IPM

see also

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/wildl..._roundworm.htm

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 02-01-2010 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: add

Old 02-01-2010, 04:35 PM

Well, like I said, I wasn't sure. The only two cases of fatal raccoon roundworm I know of were both in children, one of whom ingested the eggs by chewing on contaminated firewood that had been carried in the house and another by ingesting the feces directly.

Since raccoons are so common in the midwest and commonly use lawns for toilets, I would think if this were a critical health concern through airborne transmission, we'd all have to be walking around wearing biohazard suits and respirators and it would certainly be a hazard to be in an area where the feces were burned.

Last edited by Grandma(in waiting); 02-01-2010 at 05:08 PM..

Old 02-01-2010, 04:47 PM

An insurance adjuster who came to examine the raccoon damage wore a rubberized space suit and respirator. It was obvious that he did not want to take the chance of inhaling some microscopic BP eggs.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:53 PM

I'm sure he didn't want to either, but like I said, (and please do verify this with the CDC), the most common way this disease is contracted is via direct contact with the feces.

If it really concerns you to that point, you should have the health department come out and inspect your lawn. How to clean up a raccoon latrine

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasi...m#how_infected

Last edited by Grandma(in waiting); 02-01-2010 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: adding link from CDC

Old 02-01-2010, 10:47 PM

5 posts, read 17,082 times
Definitely check out info with the CDC.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:24 AM

CDC went south on me and no one called me back. I believe they have been too preoccupied with H1N1.

People associated with Purdue University have been more than gracious and helpful in answering questions and providing reliable info.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,535 times
I work for a local and regional restoration firm. We do several jobs every year relating to raccoon invasions. It's my hope that the company you hired removed any and all material that is porous, such as insulation, celetex, etc. The wood structure can be treated and sealed afterwards with no issues. However it should be checked by an independent third party industrial hygenist to confirm the issue has been resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis