U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 08:25 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,468,337 times

Advertisements

Well, it appears the newly-minted GOP majority in the General Assembly might not even let it come to a vote: Reluctant lawmakers may hold back metro Indianapolis transit plan | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

That would be a chicken*****, move, IMO. I mean, if it goes to a vote and people vote it down, then so be it. But at least let the public decide. This is an important and expensive issue that will affect this region's future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 11:26 AM

1,760 posts, read 2,937,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Well, it appears the newly-minted GOP majority in the General Assembly might not even let it come to a vote: Reluctant lawmakers may hold back metro Indianapolis transit plan | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

That would be a chicken*****, move, IMO. I mean, if it goes to a vote and people vote it down, then so be it. But at least let the public decide. This is an important and expensive issue that will affect this region's future.
Does anybody actually think that this is okay? I hope that Republicans realize they will be risking a lot if they do this. I actually think this would persuade some Hamilton County residents to vote Democratic for the next state elections. I just don't understand how the party that is supposedly for less controlling government won't let people vote on an issue.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Does anybody actually think that this is okay? I hope that Republicans realize they will be risking a lot if they do this. I actually think this would persuade some Hamilton County residents to vote Democratic for the next state elections. I just don't understand how the party that is supposedly for less controlling government won't let people vote on an issue.
Kenley leading the charge is particularly ironic given that he was one of the architects behind the regional tax that partly funds Lucas Oil Stadium and the Convention Center expansion. Nothing more than politics as usual. So much for change.

I voted for Kenley the last time in part because of the practicality I thought he displayed with the stadium funding issue. I may have to re-think voting for him again.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:47 PM

2,088 posts, read 4,238,306 times
Quote:

Wow, thanks for posting this!...This is major crap that this is happening. While I personally do not LOVE the most recent plan (I like the extension of rail service to Noblesville and Franklin but HATE the dropping/postponing of the light rail to the airport), the fact that they may not even let the voting public decide via a referendum is ludicrous! Very shameful at the lest!

Old 11-10-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Wow, thanks for posting this!...This is major crap that this is happening. While I personally do not LOVE the most recent plan (I like the extension of rail service to Noblesville and Franklin but HATE the dropping/postponing of the light rail to the airport), the fact that they may not even let the voting public decide via a referendum is ludicrous! Very shameful at the lest!
What's the latest on South Shore expansion up there?

Old 11-10-2010, 03:22 PM

369 posts, read 526,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
So should every tax increase be put to referendum? This is the problem with referendums, every person/entity looking for a tax hike starts demanding one. Maybe we will start having two to four questions on the ballot every election? Hell, maybe it will start to inspire more people to vote. The only problem I have with referendums is how they are conducted. They need to change the law to force all referendums to be held on election day. There are plenty of groups that would love to hold a referendum on Christmas Day if it would mean getting their theft legalized.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
What's the latest on South Shore expansion up there?
Don't remind me...lol...that is a whoolllle notha ball park!

Old 11-10-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Don't remind me...lol...that is a whoolllle notha ball park!
Oh I know, but as both would seem to require some involvement from the General Assembly, maybe for once the two regions should band together to force the General Assembly to get out of the way.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Oh I know, but as both would seem to require some involvement from the General Assembly, maybe for once the two regions should band together to force the General Assembly to get out of the way.
I agree. But the additional problem that we have to deal with up here is Illinois (mainly MetraRail and whoever owns the tracks so we could get right of way) and then funding to upgrade (and build some portions) of the tracks. And then the building of stations and all the rest that goes with it. I am pulling for both NWI and Indy!

Old 11-12-2010, 11:19 AM

1,760 posts, read 2,937,403 times
Quote:
My biggest problem with the General Assembly is that I have no idea why we really need their approval. Why should someone from Fort Wayne or Evansville decide anything for the Indianapolis area? We don't need their approval for school referendums so I don't know why we would for this. And about the South Shore extension; if the assembly has anything to do with that you can kiss it goodbye because the state couldn't care less about NWI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis