U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 05:43 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,125,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
The Fishers train station was demolished but the loading platform remains and a new "station" of sorts is being incorporated into the building that is being build there now. There will be a sort of courtyard in the middle of the building that will allow access to the train line without going through or around the building.

I believe the law does forbid light rail but I believe Fishers and Noblesville found a loophole in that the law explicitly states light rail. So they could use heavier rail. Last talk I heard was removing the tracks and making that line BRT as well.
This is good to know. Yeah, when I saw the "light rail" ban I thought to myself as well about the possibility of heavy rail (which I think would be better anyway with the already existing tracks). However, I did see a plan for the tracks to be removed and the line made into a BRT line only. This would cost substantially less and would be a new concept for this region (as far as a completely removed BRT-only line. However, I do see some issues (people using the route as a walking/jogging/running path as well. I would prefer rail though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 06:26 AM

3,700 posts, read 4,059,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
This is good to know. Yeah, when I saw the "light rail" ban I thought to myself as well about the possibility of heavy rail (which I think would be better anyway with the already existing tracks). However, I did see a plan for the tracks to be removed and the line made into a BRT line only. This would cost substantially less and would be a new concept for this region (as far as a completely removed BRT-only line. However, I do see some issues (people using the route as a walking/jogging/running path as well. I would prefer rail though.
Either way, new construction and right-of-way are needed. If they do rail, I've heard there are sections that need to be replaced, plus the current line pretty much ends south of 38th St. And a second parallel set of tracks is needed to be efficient with more than one train at a time. If they go BRT, they have to tear out the existing track and widen it essentially into a 2-lane road. Either way, it will be a process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis