Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:28 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,372 times

Advertisements

We've wandered around downtown and to the Keystone/Crossing area several times, but haven't happened to stumble across anything interesting. Probably because we're looking in the wrong spots. Can anyone give advice on interesting walkable areas where one can wander around, maybe browse through a street of boutiques, record stores, or 2nd-hand/vintage shops, and later stop for coffee or a beer in the same neighborhood?

Can anyone recommend any fine or gourmet dining in Indianapolis? It doesn't have to be five-star, just, you know, not like a P.F. Chang's or Cheesecake Factory. Somewhere a smartly-dressed couple could go and not be completely out of place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 06:03 AM

891 posts, read 2,449,650 times
Broad Ripple is the place to walk around, wander around, browse......another nice area to do that is downtown Zionsville. Downtown carmel is trying to be an area like that - might take a little longer - but Broad Ripple is what you want.

as far as fine or gourmet dining - there are a lot of those. What type are you looking for. Are you looking for a place in the same area where you might be browsing. There are a few in Broad Ripple - Broad Ripple Steakhouse is very nice and I know there are several others. I could list 20-25 at least, but instead of doing that it might be vbetter if we had more info on what type of food. A really good resource is Indianpolis Monthly magazine

One of my favorites is Scholars Inn downtown - very nice unique inside, very trendy - downtown Mass ave. Scholar's Inn - Restaurant & Lounge - Indianapolis (http://www.scholarsinn.com/IndyLounge/index.html - broken link)

Old 02-11-2010, 07:26 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,530,577 times
I don't think Fountain Square should be short-changed either. There's at least one antique shop I can think of, as well as some good food.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:03 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
The best meal I've ever had was at St. Elmo's ...

Old 02-11-2010, 08:09 AM

212 posts, read 615,233 times
What about Mass Ave?

Old 02-11-2010, 08:13 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,530,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
What about Mass Ave?
Duh!

Old 02-11-2010, 08:22 AM

212 posts, read 615,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Duh!
I only mention it because I can see it from my office window here at work. I still have yet to check out the Mass Ave Toy store. WELCOME TO MASS AVE TOYS

Old 02-11-2010, 10:17 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,150,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
We've wandered around downtown and to the Keystone/Crossing area several times, but haven't happened to stumble across anything interesting.
Sponger
I always enjoyed going to Keystone at the Crossing and shopping at the upscale Fashion Mall. It's light years better than the Tippecanoe Mall and much more interesting.

The Castleton Mall was once very nice but that has kind of gone downhill over time.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:33 AM

245 posts, read 682,840 times
Care to define interesting?

There are countless dining options downtown. What kind of food do you like? Have you tried Barcelona Tapas? Mikado? St. Elmo's? Sushi on the Rocks? Adobo? Dunaways? Tastings? Ambrosia, one of my favorite Italian restaurants in the city, just opened downtown (they're also in Broad Ripple).

All of those are excellent options for fine dining. Too bad Devour Downtown just ended last weekend...I would've told you to check that out. That's ok, they hold it twice a year - try it during the summer event. Link: Devour Downtown Summer

I agree with the suggestions of Broad Ripple, Mass Ave, and Fountain Square. Deano's Vino is a really cool wine bar in FS.

Keystone at the Crossing is a nice, upscale mall but the food is mostly chains around there. Shanghai Lil's is a really good Chinese/Asian place on the south side of 86th Street, across from the mall. Fleming's Steakhouse is nice too, but I think it's a chain. That doesn't mean it's bad though...it's definitely more upscale than Cheesecake Factory. A little further east (after 86th becomes 82nd), you'll find Wasabi on 82nd, which is a really good sushi place, and D'vine, a nice comfy wine bar.

Nuvo has several City Guides that I've found helpful. Link: NUVO Newsweekly | Indy's Alternative Voice - Arts, Entertainment, Music, Nightlife, Social Justice, and Events

Check out Metromix also. Link: Dining guide: Best restaurants in town | Metromix Indianapolis

Old 02-11-2010, 10:40 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.dawsn View Post
Deano's Vino is a really cool wine bar in FS.
Deano's no longer exists.

It is now Naptown Juice Bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis