U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-28-2011, 12:13 PM

81 posts, read 150,629 times

Advertisements

The general rule (with plenty of exceptions) is that outside 465 beltway is very safe with good schools - more so than inside 465. You can commute easily from any of the suburban areas to downtown without much traffic problems. (EX) I live in AVON and take backroads all the way into downtown - its about a 20 minute trip in Rush Hour.

In the most general terms:
-Northern Burbs is the most expensive area with the wealthiest people
- Southern Burbs is mostly working class... very nice people and very safe
- Western Burbs are newly developed and mostly working class. They will look much like the SOuthern Burbs in a few years.
- Eastern burbs is a mix of rural and newly developed suburbia.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 01:24 PM

16 posts, read 23,912 times
pjstroh's post is right on the money. If you look at a map, I-465 basically circles the city. Zionsville, Plainfield, Avon, Fishers, Noblesville - - all are outside the I-465 and a pretty good bet.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:44 AM

1,375 posts, read 2,078,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
The idea of where crime is occurring in the city will be changing soon enough. Lots of folks fear the east side, the worst being the Section 8 complexes along E. 38th St., E. 42nd St., E. 30th St., and E. Washington St. What is funny that most of our crime on the "east side" (however that is defined) is really acquaintance related. The crimes such as home invasions are no different on the far east/northeast side than those in Fishers. Usually most of the east side home invasion type crimes are closer to the near east side, and even then most of those have something to do with specific knowledge of a target.

Nora and Fishers are prime examples of how crime is starting to spread in the city. It seems like Nora has now becoming the parking lot robbery capital of Indiana. Not a month goes by that there isn't some purse snatch or armed robbery at a grocery store parking lot or bank ATM in Nora.

And while Fishers PD is great, so are many other PDs, but they can't stop crime. Crime is definitely spreading over into Hamilton County. There was a guy robbing gas stations all along 96th St. and up Allisonville Rd.. Just recently, Fishers PD put out an alert about six burglaries and one attempted burglary all happening within this past month. Vehicle break-ins are also a huge thing every few months, with large numbers of vehicles being targeted from Danville, up to Zionsville, to Fishers, through Indy, and into Greenwood.

The more rural an area, the more likely you won't find as much crime, because you won't have gas stations to rob or a number of homes to pick to burglarize. It will be interesting to watch the crime trends in the coming years. Crime has always been somewhat linked to lower income areas, and we have Section 8 vouchers being accepted at more and more suburban areas than in the past. It isn't shocking that crime is following that movement.

Overall, crime isn't too bad. The only areas you might get robbed at seem to be Broad Ripple and Nora. Broad Ripple robberies seem to be taking place in the very early morning hours, when folks are drunk and leaving the bars and clubs. The Nora parking lot robberies seem to happen more in the early or late evening hours. This doesn't happen daily, but happens enough to make the news every month or so.
Pretty much. One of my old co-workers loved Castleton to death and highly suggested her apt complex on 86th and 465 when we were looking for a new apartment. I ran a crime map on where she was and it was far, far worse in regards to crime then where we ended up near 465 and US-52.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 977 times
I have an internship at St. Vincents what are the safest areas around there?

Old 11-12-2013, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandmike04 View Post
Hi my husband and I planning a move to Indianapolis,where we have no friends or family and we have never been, and were wanting to know the safest neighborhoods to live in we currently have 1 chlid so low-crime is VERY important
fishers, carmel are pendleton indiana

Old 11-16-2013, 10:47 PM

30 posts, read 15,712 times
I don't think there are any towns under 40,000 population within a 50 mile range any direction outward of 465 in Indianapolis that could be considered "unsafe".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis