Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2007, 12:27 PM

41 posts, read 59,714 times

Advertisements

Indianapolis is amoung a handful of cities I am contemplating. A place that
is likeable is probably one of my most important considerations. Affordable
housing market is a close second. I know this is an Indy forum, but many of you are well traveled, and I would like your opinions on these handful of cities, if possible. I have been reading for weeks, but am no closer to being able to chose.

Indianapolis
Cincinnati
St. Louis
Iowa City, IA
Dallas

Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 01:02 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
I really like Cincinnati. The town has a cultural and historical feel to it. Indianapolis (don't get in a twist people), lacks character. It's just kind of ... blah. It's colts colts colts all winter, then the 500 and then not much is going on other than some festivals here and there, the Brickyard and maybe another race ...

I also feel the same way about St. Louis. It has history and character, but man, does it get hot there in the summer!

Old 05-30-2007, 02:11 PM

79 posts, read 461,719 times
Cincinnati - There are a lot of things I really like about Cincy. I grew up as a Reds fan so I've spent quite a bit of time there. First off, it's very old.. So it has a rich history and lots of great architecture. I'm not sure if I could stand the hills because I enjoy walking and biking as my primary forms of transportation. I've heard the bus system is pretty bad as well. I would it sort of spread out as well and doesn't have a solid downtown core.. Plus over the rhine.. that's some mad max stuff going on there.. Complete warzone. Still it's on my list of cities that I would live in, but close to the bottom.

St. Louis - I've never had a good experience here, but I've heard positive things(ie beautiful historic neighborhoods). Apparently they do have a decent mass transit system. I need to visit again. One thing that shys me away is the "big city crime." Obviously that can be avoided.

Iowa City, IA - I was VERY surprised with this city. Definitely midwestern, but has liberal/artsy feel to it. I believe it is sort of a college city, sort of like Columbus, OH. I've only spent a few days, but it seemed like they had a lot going on.

Dallas - I hate texas for the most part. I've spent little time in Dallas, but one time I was there I was in a village type area with lots of bars and restaurants.. It seemed alright.

If I had to choose between these cities, I would definitely go with Indianapolis. It's on a big upswing at this point and it is still very affordable. I like the proximity to chicago, cincy, and detroit. However I wouldn't even consider living in Indy unless it was in one of the cultural districts. We have some hateful sprawl, but you're into the suburbs we definitely have them. Then again if you live in the burbs, your choice won't really matter because it's all the same no matter what city you live outside of.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Indianapolis (don't get in a twist people), lacks character. It's just kind of ... blah. It's colts colts colts all winter, then the 500 and then not much is going on other than some festivals here and there, the Brickyard and maybe another race ...
Indy definitely has character and there is a lot more to it than auto racing. I'm definitely colts crazy in the winter but in the spring/summer/fall I think there plenty of events and things to do. You do kind of have to search it out, but that can be fun as well. Again, I'm usually satisfied with people watching downtown, I don't need a carnival to be entertained.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:35 PM

41 posts, read 59,714 times
I agree that towns obsessed with their football teams getting very tiresome.
The only way I have found to avoid it is to not watch local news. How sad it all is. I like your comments on Cincinatti. I definitely feel inspired by historic architecture, and culture. However, I am uncomforable with Cincy's seemingly
isolation. It out of the way, and tucked away. But maybe that is just my
own psychology. As I sit here on the cusp of leaving the West, I am contemplating whether to take I-80 east bound or I-70. If I take the
latter, I can check out St. Louis before heading to Indy or Cincy. But
if I take 80, I can run through Iowa City. I know a lot of people like Iowa
City so it might be good for me to see what all the fuss is about. Ben
also mentioned Columbus. I haven't considered Columbus before, until now.
Does it remind you of Iowa City? I know it is not as wooded and hilly
as Cincy, but that might be a good thing. Duck Fallas, I already know
in my heart that Texas is not the place for me. I hate hate heat.
But I was enticed by the explosion in job growth that is expected in Dallas.
None of the other towns on my list are in that category.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:07 PM

I just got a general feeling of similarity between IC and Columbus. I think both of them rely on their respective colleges as far as economical wealth.

I can definitely understand feeling uncomfortable with Cincy.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:12 AM

112 posts, read 615,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I really like Cincinnati. The town has a cultural and historical feel to it. Indianapolis (don't get in a twist people), lacks character. It's just kind of ... blah. It's colts colts colts all winter, then the 500 and then not much is going on other than some festivals here and there, the Brickyard and maybe another race ...

I also feel the same way about St. Louis. It has history and character, but man, does it get hot there in the summer!
THANK YOU!!

I feel the exact same way about Indy. There is no character to the city whatsoever. There is a lack of history tying the city together as well. Its a cornfield with some tall bulidings.

I grew up in Cincinnati and like the city very much. It is a wonderful city for a family and has a ton of culture, with arts, museums, sports, etc. My main problems are that it is too conservative and downtown is not the attraction is should be or deserves to be. It is a beautiful city, but Cincinnati's system of government is so convoluted that nothing ever gets accomplished to make downtown a place to go. Being someone that like to live in the city, this is a huge negative.

But to answer the original question: If you are more of a suburbanite, then Cincy is a very attractive option.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:29 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,112 times
I thought you were moving to North Carolina?? Greensboro I thought?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis