Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 08:17 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,997,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Morris View Post
Naptowner, there are plenty of others who recommend only the North side or only Downtown areas. I live in Avon, so I know it well. If someone mentions things that make me think Avon would fit them, or if they are unsure, of course I am going to recommend it. Why wouldn't I? If I don't, it seems like many people in this forum completely forget it is here!

And no, Avon is not walkable in terms of walking to the grocery store or restaurants, but we do have great walking paths at the parks and the B&O walking trail, for people to walk for exercise. Which is what the original poster seemed to be getting at, in my opinion.
You're right, people do recommend some areas of town quite often, but you seem to recommend Avon every single time. There is nothing in the original post that suggests Avon is a "perfect" fit, as you claim. It's not walkable. It is full of newer subdivisions with no mature trees. Shopping and dining consists of various strip malls along 36. It's not particularly convenient to 65, and traffic to and from downtown can be hellacious. I don't have a dog in the fight, but it's worth pointing out that you're a realtor in the Avon area and you have a vested interest in recommending Avon to newcomers. Others don't, which might be one reason no one but you ever seems to recommend Avon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 08:32 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,896 times
Naptowner, I don't see why you seem to be angry at me. I don't know much about all the areas around Indy, but I do know a lot about Avon. When it seems like it might fit people, I mention it. Period.

Yes, traffic can be bad, as on any side of town. Yes, it has walkability issues, as does every part of town. It has plenty of newer subdivisions, and plenty of mature trees. It even has new subdivisions with mature trees (shock).

I saw a person asking for an area between her 2 sides of the family, Avon is right between the 2 that they mentioned.

There is no reason to demonize me just because I have a real estate license. I'm just a normal person; a wife, a mommy with 2 kids, a friendly, helpful woman. I recommend Avon because I know it and love it, as many others recommend other areas. I don't care if this poster chooses Avon or Carmel or Southport or Beech Grove or Broad Ripple any other part of Indy.

If you would like to discuss this further, I suggest a private message so that the original poster can get more opinions on their question instead of just reading about how evil I am.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:09 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,997,721 times
I didn't say anything to suggest that you're evil, and I'm not mad at you. I just pointed out, accurately, that you are a real estate agent in Avon, so you have a vested interest in recommending the area. Don't make this out to be something it's not.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:47 AM

212 posts, read 615,383 times
I recently bought a house in western Perry Township. Just off of West Southport Road and SR 37. I love it. It's not a suburb but it sure feels like it.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:10 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,896 times
I think that every homeowner has an interest in seeing their own area of Indy sell. I actually, can and do cover all of the area, so I can sell anywhere.
However, I feel uncomfortable recommending areas that I do not know, because then I might end up making innaccurate statements like your assertion that Avon has no mature trees. I would feel really bad about saying something like that and then finding out I was wrong, so I shy away from talking about other areas.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:44 PM

3 posts, read 16,660 times
Walkability? Great in Zionsville. We have a trail system for walkers, runners and bikers that goes through town...connects with sidewalks and neighborhoods. You can walk to the Main Street area (coffee shops, art galleries, antiques stores, restaurants), the library, the grocery store, hardware store, shoe store, Starbucks, McDonalds, banks, dentists, doctors, vets, on and on. And don't forget the parks. We have a great new park with a water splash area for the little kids, a skateboard park for the teens, a sledding hill (when it snows enough) and of course soccer fields. Zionsville is a great family town that has a small town feel and yet is only 25 min. or so from the heart of Indianapolis, and about 35 min. to Indianapolis International Airport. The schools are very highly rated. Check it out.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:22 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times
You guys need to address where not to live. In my experience the east and west sides of indy are rough, particularly the east side. I grew up an hour southeast of Indy and not reside in Chicago. The north side of indy and far west are the best. Carmel, Fishers, Zionsville, Noblesville, and Avon are the areas I would live if I were to move back. You guys are so lucky with commutes as many of us in Chicago routinely drive an hour or more to work each way.

I would definitely avoid the areas around the Children's Museum, Washington Square Mall, Lafayette Square Mall and Shadeland avenue on the east side.

What other areas would others avoid?

Old 03-12-2010, 05:23 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
You guys need to address where not to live. In my experience the east and west sides of indy are rough, particularly the east side. I grew up an hour southeast of Indy and not reside in Chicago. The north side of indy and far west are the best. Carmel, Fishers, Zionsville, Noblesville, and Avon are the areas I would live if I were to move back. You guys are so lucky with commutes as many of us in Chicago routinely drive an hour or more to work each way.

I would definitely avoid the areas around the Children's Museum, Washington Square Mall, Lafayette Square Mall and Shadeland avenue on the east side.

What other areas would others avoid?
I am not sure why the area around Washington Square Mall gets such a bad rap. I am over there all the time. It is not as scary as so many people seem to think it is.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:10 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times
Growing up we would take church groups to Washington Square Mall. Now it is so empty and ghetto that the local church groups go to areas like Greenwood and Circle Center. When Burlington Coat Factory is one of your better stores you have a problem.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:23 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Growing up we would take church groups to Washington Square Mall. Now it is so empty and ghetto that the local church groups go to areas like Greenwood and Circle Center. When Burlington Coat Factory is one of your better stores you have a problem.
The mall is empty, but that is not because Washington Square Mall is in the ghetto.

Eash Washington has all the standard big box chains, Target, Best Buy, Meijer; a Starbuck's, some CD stores; a Kerasotes movie theater. The mall is emptying out, but as a corridor, there is plenty along East Washington Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis