Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 12:12 AM

7 posts, read 124,052 times

Advertisements

I'm a 28 year old single female who has lived for the past 10 years in Washington, DC and Manhattan. I'll be working in Carmel for a year and am looking for a neighborhood to rent in.

I'm looking for: an easy walk to restaurants, shopping, and bars and an easy commute to Carmel.

I'm assuming a reverse commute out of Indianapolis to Carmel is going to be a little easier but honestly I don't know the first thing about the area, I've never even been to Indiana. Is there mass transit? Is the traffic bad? (I'm buying a car)

Thank you for ANY help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 12:13 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Broad Ripple.

Mass transit sucks. Driving around is (mostly) a breeze -- especially compared to DC and Manhattan. It's like driving around in a giant suburb.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:13 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
If you wanted to stay closer to work, the "Arts & Design District" in Carmel is decent enough; I do not think they have any bars along there though. Though, in Indy itself Broad Ripple or "South Broad Ripple" would probably be your best options.

The main drag in Broad Ripple is Broad Ripple Ave east of College Ave. It is what it is. I have a friend at work from NYC, his first impression of Broad Ripple was "this is it." It is a lively little area.

The area of College Ave by 52nd and 54th is a nice little area too. That area calls itself "South Broad Ripple," though many suburbanites simply refer to that as Broad Ripple as well. It is not Broad Ripple. At 54th and College there is the Fresh Market and some restaurants. Personally, I prefer the South Broad Ripple area more than the main Broad Ripple area; but that is just me. South Broad Ripple seems more like an urban residential area; Broad Ripple itself seems like a yuppie playground to me. But that is just me.

A little closer to downtown is Fall Creek Place. Near 25th and Delaware; and over along Meridian, there is increased commercial development. It is still pretty quiet though.

Commuting to Carmel by mass transit will be impossible. There have been heavy talks about expanding the mass transit in Indianapolis, but the tea baggers may squash that.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:21 AM

423 posts, read 1,248,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post

Commuting to Carmel by mass transit will be impossible.
Is the express line no longer there? I know it doesn't leave a lot of opportunities, but at least it doesn't render a commute to Carmel impossible. Are there NO Indygo routes that at least go to southern Carmel? The southside of Indy has far fewer transit options even than the rest of the city, but there are still a few routes that make there way into Greenwood, around the downtown and then the Greenwood Park Mall.

The OP might also consider some of the neighborhoods in the immediate vicinity of downtown, particularly St. Joseph, Lockerbie Square, and Chatham Arch, or downtown itself. The Old Northside is quieter, but still close enough to restaurants and whatnot so that they're a convenient walk. Also Meridian Kessler and Butler-Tarkington have a few little commercial areas within walking distance.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:44 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalcedony View Post
Is the express line no longer there? I know it doesn't leave a lot of opportunities, but at least it doesn't render a commute to Carmel impossible. Are there NO Indygo routes that at least go to southern Carmel? The southside of Indy has far fewer transit options even than the rest of the city, but there are still a few routes that make there way into Greenwood, around the downtown and then the Greenwood Park Mall.
There are no IndyGo routes in Carmel unless you count the one that goes to 99th and Michigan which I guess you could consider Carmel. The express bus is ending December 31.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:51 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalcedony View Post
Is the express line no longer there? I know it doesn't leave a lot of opportunities, but at least it doesn't render a commute to Carmel impossible. Are there NO Indygo routes that at least go to southern Carmel?
Unless there is a funding miracle, the express line ends in about three weeks.

http://www.indygo.net/ICERoutes.htm (broken link)

And yes, one bus route will take you to 96th between Meridian and College; and that bus does not even go that way all the time. Heading back into Indianapolis, if you miss the 5:39 pm bus at 96th and Meridian you will wait 3 hours for the next bus. There are two other buses that do the same type of thing on Michigan Road and behind Castleton Square Mall. If someone is working at 146th and Meridian, what good does that do them?

Old 12-10-2010, 12:12 PM

891 posts, read 2,450,519 times
Why not just live in Carmel. You are only working here for a year

Old 12-10-2010, 08:44 PM

7 posts, read 124,052 times
Thanks for all your insight! I will definitely look into Broad Ripple.

BU191433 - I've never been to Carmel, just assumed I would want to be closer to a city given I haven't lived in the suburbs since I was a child. Do you know what the town is like?

Old 12-10-2010, 09:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowerlax View Post
Thanks for all your insight! I will definitely look into Broad Ripple.

BU191433 - I've never been to Carmel, just assumed I would want to be closer to a city given I haven't lived in the suburbs since I was a child. Do you know what the town is like?
It has a nice "new urban" downtown core that feels contrived but it's about as good as you can ask from a car-based suburb trying to retrofit its downtown to a denser development model. The rest of Carmel is basically McMansion Stepford Hell. YMMV of course according to whether or not you like that kind of built environment -- obviously I don't. Carmel and the city are convenient to each other -- they border each other and traffic is relatively free-flowing now that they've grade-separated a lot of the intersections across Keystone Avenue.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:42 PM

140 posts, read 256,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowerlax View Post
I'm a 28 year old single female who has lived for the past 10 years in Washington, DC and Manhattan. I'll be working in Carmel for a year and am looking for a neighborhood to rent in.

I'm looking for: an easy walk to restaurants, shopping, and bars and an easy commute to Carmel.

I'm assuming a reverse commute out of Indianapolis to Carmel is going to be a little easier but honestly I don't know the first thing about the area, I've never even been to Indiana. Is there mass transit? Is the traffic bad? (I'm buying a car)

Thank you for ANY help you can provide.
What a coincidence...looks like I'm not the only 28-year-old whose job moved him to Indiana. Nice. (Though, I think the stranger coincidence is we both ended up here from the DC area...funny how some things work in the world sometimes.)

I can't help you out with Carmel at all, but I've been up and through Broad Ripple a few times. Pretty nice area. Right now I'm looking into the Wayne Township area to set up my potential new residence--on the northwest side in what I suppose is the Lafayette area. Lots of conveniences around there, and it's only about a five minute interstate jump from downtown.

I also looked at a place right off East Fall Creek Parkway North Drive (by the way, Indy people...who named the streets up there??) called Harbour Pointe. Don't know what your budget is, but it's pretty daggone affordable if you're only looking for a 1 BR/1 BA setup. And I'd presume Allisonville Road could take you straight from there back up to Carmel, while Fall Creek Parkway itself will run you right into downtown. Just figured I'd throw that on out there.

Best of luck with your search. Hope some of this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis