Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 01:02 PM

990 posts, read 1,721,692 times

Advertisements

The brutality of these boys to the freshmen and other students totally blows me away.I don't understand the mind set at all.Do they not mind being known for the disgusting things they did? Surely they didn't think they were going to get away with doing these things in the back of a crowed bus or in a locker room.Evidently these things have been going on for a while-are the adults just as messed up as the students?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 01:59 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,612,632 times
for those of you who don't know:

YouTube - Police investigating Carmel High School bullying incident

City Attorney Defends Carmel's Stance | Indy's News Center - 93.1 WIBC Indianapolis - Live. Local. First.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:16 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,193,134 times
Neither link points out what they did....

Old 03-05-2010, 02:24 PM

212 posts, read 613,371 times
My wife works with a guy who's wife is a nurse with Hamilton County Social Services. She saw the full police report and it's ugly. I won't go into details but it concerns anal penetration.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:36 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,612,632 times
yea, that's detail enough!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:04 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,487,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
My wife works with a guy who's wife is a nurse with Hamilton County Social Services. She saw the full police report and it's ugly. I won't go into details but it concerns anal penetration.
I thought that might be the case, but as others have pointed, the exact details haven't been made public. A certain level of hazing is traditional and can be tolerated -- for example, making freshman carry/load the bags, get water, etc. Sexual abuse, however, is disgusting and de-humanizing and has no place in the locker room.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:12 PM

212 posts, read 613,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I thought that might be the case, but as others have pointed, the exact details haven't been made public. A certain level of hazing is traditional and can be tolerated -- for example, making freshman carry/load the bags, get water, etc. Sexual abuse, however, is disgusting and de-humanizing and has no place in the locker room.
Agreed! I remember when I was a Freshman in high school. The older students always scared me as they were much larger. Of course now I am 6'4" so it's not an issue.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:30 AM

369 posts, read 678,174 times
The whole thing is sick, and is exactly what happens when you have narcissistic kids who are forced into packs. Corporations have taken hold of K-12 education, and yes, they are just that, corporations. They are nothing more than public-private partnerships who get 99.99% of their funding from taxation of the public. In my eyes they are no different than Enron, IBM, etc..

In this case, we have very affluent (i.e. Money) folks involved. The names are known, they are out there if anyone wants to do the digging. There are college scholarships at risk, and I guess one kid's dad is a lawyer is doing his best to minimize this. This is exactly the problem, parents worried about helping their kids get away with this behavior instead of correcting it. This is _exactly_ why Columbines happen, and will continue to happen. The victims feel marginalized, no one helps them, and they feel that society doesn't care about them. People in the workplace feel like they were beat down, and they respond by getting a gun and shooting the place up. Do we expect anything different to happen in corporations engaged in education?

Our schools have been merged to the point they are like factories in some areas. Some districts refuse to have two high schools because they care more about their sports, and more kids in the school means more upper echelon players on the team. Sickening.

My theory on this case: The mom of one senior told the press (she didn't give her name) that there was more to this story. I think the following is likely: This behavior started in the past, maybe many years ago. Some narcissistic kid, might even have homosexual tendencies, did this and got away with it. Pack mentality, jock mentality, and senior mentality/hierarchy took control, and that is why no one said anything. The victims back then felt humiliated, but did the same thing when they became seniors. This then became a "tradition" and was looked upon as hazing. In one of the media stories, someone posted this happened in either Seymour or Spencer Indiana years ago. The Bloomington Herald was the only newspaper to really cover the story, the local paper wouldn't touch it at all. The other thing is that this might have been the start of this sort of behavior, which if it is, needs to be stopped immediately.

The police investigation is a mess on this one. At first I thought with four detectives on this, it shouldn't take weeks, but there are some factors that make that somewhat understandable. The main incident occurred in another county, so we have jurisdictional issues. A second incident came to light, so now they have to deal with that. Some witnesses may have been perpetrators in previous incidents, and they likely won't talk. Discussion will have to be made as to who give immunity to, etc., just so they can get them to testify. The electronic video system might have caught the actions on video. Even if re-written, this stuff is still there. I have been told even 7-pass DoD wipes won't totally make the data unrecoverable. My guess is that if we don't see auction within a month or two, don't be surprised if there is a movement for the state police to get involved, as folks will think Carmel PD is covering this up.

The rumored lawyer father is said to be doing his hardest to keep this issue at bay. Criminal charges will destroy any future some of these kids might have had at certain schools/basketball programs. Criminal charges against 18 year olds mean adult charges, meaning the probable cause is open to the public. If the victims don't want to prosecute, I don't know if the state will file. If that happens, watch for calls of a cover-up. I could see the parents of the offenders offering a financial settlement, with a non-disclosure agreement, in an effort to try and minimize the possibility for criminal charges. With the seriousness of these suspected crimes, I think we will see criminal charges. Even if the victims don't want to prosecute, I think the state should if the police uncover a history of this sort of hazing. The state has to swing a big stick that hopefully will slap these PR worried K-12 types upside the head and cause them to take these things more seriously. If that means your star football or basketball player is gone, too bad.

I am memorized by this case, but I like true crime, and this is a 48 Hours episode in the making.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:55 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,020,484 times
I wouldn't call this hazing at all. This is sexual battery/sexual assault. Hazing would be flicking the freshmen's ears on the bus or making them carry your bag etc... This is truely sickening from what I've heard and does sound like the school was trying to cover up. My question is, where were the coaches on the bus? The assault on the bus allegedly took 10 minutes, where was the adult on that bus? Surely, there was atleast one coach on that bus. What was the driver doing? Surely, the driver must have heard/seen something going on in the back of the bus. Why didn't he/she pull over? Something stinks of a cover up and it's taking way too long to investigate.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:44 AM

990 posts, read 1,721,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I wouldn't call this hazing at all. This is sexual battery/sexual assault. Hazing would be flicking the freshmen's ears on the bus or making them carry your bag etc... This is truely sickening from what I've heard and does sound like the school was trying to cover up. My question is, where were the coaches on the bus? The assault on the bus allegedly took 10 minutes, where was the adult on that bus? Surely, there was atleast one coach on that bus. What was the driver doing? Surely, the driver must have heard/seen something going on in the back of the bus. Why didn't he/she pull over? Something stinks of a cover up and it's taking way too long to investigate.
Absolutly -what is going on with these adults?I think they had to know what was going on to some extent,which is a really sickening thought-but how could they not know.I read that a freshmen coach warned the freshmen to keep the string on their sweat pants tied tight because some strange things were going on.What does that tell us? I still understand the mind set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis