U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 01:19 PM

4 posts, read 15,024 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a job in Greenfield and would like to live close to where I'll be working. I currently commute about 45 minutes one-way to work and want to cut that time down. However, with kids, a good school system is a must. Can anyone recommend areas to look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 01:52 PM

8,146 posts, read 13,321,204 times
If you are working in Greenfield, why not live there?

New Pal is not too far away, they have good schools as well.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:49 PM

163 posts, read 561,823 times
Here is the Indiana Dept of Education web site with school rating info.

By all means avoid Warren Twp in Indy.

Search for Schools

Old 03-13-2010, 07:13 AM

369 posts, read 517,737 times
I went to New Palestine schools. It is a good school system. New Palestine was more rural/suburban, but now has a more suburban/rural feel too it since I grew up there in the 80s and 90s. New Palestine offered little, but they have played their cards right, and didn't build Taj Mahal schools and sports centers. They still have budget issues, but I don't think they are as large as some other districts that wasted money on sports and fancy buildings. A co-worker of mine recently graduated last year at mid-term. I guess there were something like 30-40 seniors that had enough credits to graduate, so they did. My understanding is that they want to put a stop to it because of fear of losing money if the state counts heads during the second semester. What this tells me though is that education is still pretty strong at New Palestine. They might not have a lot of kids going Ivy League, but I know plenty that go to IU, Purdue, Ball State, etc.. Even some that went to private schools, and some grads smart enough to get into medical school and law school. You won't go wrong with sending your kids to New Palestine Schools.

I still live near New Palestine and wish I would have moved to that school system instead of Mt. Vernon. Thankfully I don't have kids, but if I do in the future, they will either go to schools in Hamilton Co., or New Palestine if we stay in Hancock county. The New Palestine area has been somewhat saved by the influx of cheap vinyl village homes. The residents of Sugar Creek and Brandywine Township are very quick to fight the influx of cheap homes. Those same homes about five to six miles north of US 40 are being foreclosed upon and sold as Section 8 rental properties, from what I can gather. I am not sure if these are good working poor people, or if they are layabouts and bums bringing inner city trash morals/values with them. I have not heard good things about some of the influx of kids to Mt. Vernon schools, but that was a while back.

Basically, New Palestine has mostly all brick/stone homes, and there is only one vinyl village, three homes to an acre neighborhood that I know of, and even then the homes are large and sell for no less than $120K in this down market. That price is high enough to keep out trashy poor people.

Greenfield is currently building a Section 8 complex/neighborhood on the west side. There goes the neighborhood. Greenfield can give your kid a good education, but there are more poor kids in Greenfield than in most other areas of the county. The term other schools used to describe Greenfield was "Greenfield dirty." Again, there were plenty of decent families and kids in Greenfield, but as the largest municipality in the county, they had a lot of poor families as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis