U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 01:45 PM
6 posts, read 8,675 times

I wasn't sure if nobody was responding because it was my first post ever out here, so I thought I would re-post:

My husband just accepted a job with Duke Energy and we need to relocate from Michigan to the Avon, IN area. We would like to rent for at least 6 months to a year until we get a feel for the area and perhaps purchase a home. We have a 1 year old son and a Golden Retriever. We love a quieter/safe setting. We love the outdoors, walking, biking, hiking, etc. Open to sub-divisons. Husband has to stay with 20 miles of Avon for job. From what little we've read, Avon seems like a great community. I am having a difficult time trying to find places on Craigslist. Does anyone have any suggestions about a better way to go about finding a nice home to rent in the Avon area? We will only have 1 weekend to go down and look at rentals. Husband starts April 19th. Would not want to go over $1,000/mo in rent. Would like at least a 2 stall garage and basement if possible. Coming from Michigan, it feels so odd that a lot of homes in this area don't have basements. At least 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms - would prefer newer build but open to anything updated/clean/well kept.
Thank you so much to anyone that has any advice at all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Location: Indianapolis, IN with offices throughout Central IN servicing the whole US>
40 posts, read 98,689 times
Realtors can run a list of available rentals from the MLS system.
I believe FC Tucker (Real estate company) has a property management division with rental homes.
Local papers have some rentals. - not sure if you can get it online or not indystar.com is the local paper website
Hope that helps
Old 03-22-2010, 04:00 PM
1,099 posts, read 3,205,436 times
Not very many people list their rentals through Realtors, although there are a few. The easiest way to find homes for rent are through Craigslist and local newspapers. Another way is to drive through neighborhoods, but that takes a lot of time, which it doesn't seem like you have.

Another factor is that most people who are renting their homes would want to rent to you for a full year at least.

It might be easier (although less comfortable) to find an apartment until you feel comfortable with the area enough to buy a home.

I'm happy to help in any way I can, it's just that it's difficult with rental homes.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:39 PM
92 posts, read 198,688 times
So what are some of the local newspapers I should be looking at? (Sorry for thread jacking)
Old 03-22-2010, 09:39 PM
1,099 posts, read 3,205,436 times
Check the IndyStar of course, and on the west side you can look at the Hendricks County Flyer at flyergroup.com I don't know all the small papers in the other counties.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:05 PM
11 posts, read 29,824 times
I heard Duke is moving/eliminating some jobs so it's great he was able to find something in this job market. Plainfield is nice and has good schools and is only +/- 8 miles from Avon.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
2,552 posts, read 2,830,091 times
As a supplier to Duke I can confirm that they are preparing to move and/or eliminate some jobs from the Plainfield office. The "new" regional office and NOC (network operations center) will be in their existing Cincinnati, OH location. Plainfield will remain open but a lot of the administrative positions will be eliminated or moved to Cincinnati, or so I understand.

Plainfield is a nice area, as is Avon (I am a little prejudiced, as I live in Avon.)

Having relocated here two years ago from out of state, I can tell you that it will be difficult finding a rental property without hitting the bricks, so to speak. Some will be listed on CL, but many are just local listings with signs. Also, with the economy being what it is, there is a far larger pool of renters in a higher income bracket these days, so it's tough to find a decent home rental in a decent area.

There are some nice apartments in the Avon area, Steeplechase and one other up on 10th St., but they don't do short term leases. We lived at Steeplechase and it was pretty good as apartments go, but breaking the lease early cost us a month's rent, I believe.

Michelle was a BIG help with our relocation and ultimately helping us to find a home (thanks, Michelle!) so I would encourage you to contact her directly and see how she can be of service. I assume you will ultimately buy a home in the area, so having the ability to plan things in advance makes a big difference in what you end up with. It also allows you to move quickly for the right deal, which can be an important point in some parts of the market here.

We are very happy with Avon - I would add that we are also originally from the area, and both grew up on the southside, so it was nice to be able to return after 20 years and find that there are other parts of the city that are just as enjoyable as where we grew up.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or